It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Human Future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
When Bill Hicks, the comedian, discovered that he had the much dreaded pancreatic cancer, you saw a marked change in the way he expressed his comedy. The anger was there, but it was tempered; he moved more in the direction of the philosophical, of meaning, of purpose. I liked Bill Hicks because he poetically captured what I have begun to learn more and more as the years pass by: human beings are evolving upwards.

What do I mean by "upwards"? Nowdays, you hear dooms-sayers and pessimists on the right or on the left with their own version of a "end of the world" or "end of civilization" scenario. They seem obsessed with it. They can't imagine a world beyond it. Why is that? Why are they so arrested towards one perspective?

Anyways, Bill hicks said "life was a ride". Which I agree with. Life is an interested, awe-inspiring mystery, where we gather experiences, lessons, and in the process, are able to leave our mark, whether big or small, on those whom we interact with.

Human beings are at their very core, ONE. This isn't meant in any cliched new-age way where it isn't back up by any mechanistic explanation for how that is. Rather, our oneness is rooted in the fact that each of us our unique expressions of the culture were born into. We simply can't help it: who we are is a product of the relationships we form; our first interactions in life, usually with a mother, deeply ingrains within our unconscious psyche how we will see the world. As we grow older, these "mental models", as they're called in psychology, become more complex, but the general theme tends to repeat itself. The unconscious - and human beings - are complex systems with recursive, non-linear patterns of experience. Our oneness is seen in how sensitive we are to one another's signals: a signal from a speaker sets off a process in the hearer; a facial gesture or lack of eye contact cues the other person of what that other person might be thinking.

Our worlds are intermeshed; our unconscious minds - which essentially is what the majority of our mind is - governs our thinking, feeling, attention, memory, and much more, from second to second. Each wave brings with it information from the body (how am I feeling? Nutritionally? Stressed?) and from the context-environment without: how do I feel in this environment, usually. The mind lives in a field of energetic interactions with other minds. Together, we make up a super-structure collective mind which regulates HOW each of us will feel, by biasing what each of us should expect in our minute by minute interactions.

Evolution has trained us, but as mankind grows, we are learning that WE CAN TRAIN EVOLUTION. Yes, anger, aggression, arrogance, deception, and much more, are part of our behavioral baggage. Some theorists would argue that we are like this whether we like it or not, while others, more optimistic, believe we have the power to correct personal problems that create systemic problems within society at large, simply by becoming mindful of our internal processes, and cultivating empathy towards the self and others.

What really captured my attention, and the reason why Bill Hicks is the inspiration for this post, is his idea that we are destined to "explore" the universe. As I think about this line, I sense that he was inspired when he said that: being sick can really give someone the proper perspective about things. Humans beings at their core, are not aggressive; rather, we are CURIOUS! We are SEEKERS with the power to direct our minds towards what were curious about.

I predict that as time unfolds, and as the future inches closer, human-kind will continue evolving forward with the help of intelligent policy in education, spurred by changes in academia, and in culture. Mindfulness and social-emotional regulation will become a fixture of education. The neglected "right brain" will become included into our curriculums, where resilience, reflection and relationships supplement writing, arithmetic and reading. As the years pass by, and as one generation comes and another one goes, these sorts of policies will create a kinder, gentler and more aware human being. The energies we spent fighting with each other will be freed thanks to wide-spread changes in industry, thanks to advances in robotics and computer technology. People will now direct their energy towards INQUIRY: towards exploration of their own inner worlds, exploration of the outer world around us, the earth sciences, physics, biology, and space travel. We will become explorers, searching for that wholeness that we experienced before we entered this world while within our mothers womb. We are the caretakers of a world we still don't understand, but our profound SEEKING urge, buttressed by the cognitive experience of curiosity, leads us deeper and deeper into the fabric of our being.

I don't know when these sorts of changes will happen, but today, I can see how we will eventually arrive at this destination.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

That's a cool post, I love the optimism.

I had a thought once, after watching a lot of Star Trek. (the ethos of which matches what you are saying somewhat) How do we get from here to there? What does Star Fleet look like, as a movement or organization that starts today, and gets us to the stars? It almost requires a monk-like devotion to ethics and science, a great deal of both discipline, and altruism. Its kind of a tall order. But people should never forget that anything is possible.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Thanks Astrocyte!

peace.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I can totally understand the message you're trying to get across. Humanity as a whole, is linked in the sense of responding to each others emotions. It thrives on it. You can see this expression of unity, for example; in the aftermath of a tragic event or a gratuitous act of kindness. People naturally want to feel as if they're a part of something; they enjoy the notion of coming together to fight for a common cause, etc. etc..

This is a double-edged sword. In most cases, this concept is one of the very reasons I would have to say, humanity seems more divided than together. People might be together 'in a sense'; but not collectively as one (literally speaking) - rather, they are split into factions. Each group fighting for their own cause, and more often than not these causes are conflicted.

Now, subconsciously it may also be true that human-kind seeks to unite with each other to become 'one'. It's the classic plot of most Alien Invasion type movies. The world joins up together to fight for a common cause, to save their own species from the enemy and insure the survival of mankind... you get the idea... And at the end, lessons are learned, disputes are forgotten, and globally people are together as one.

The mind is complex, and as they say... everyone is different. Everybody responds to the emotions of others in a different way. There are people out there who have a completely different outlook. For instance; everything you believe is the opposite of everything they believe. This leads to both 'negative' and 'positive' reactions, in accordance to how they perceive you, your emotions, and whatever else, etc. etc. - Then there are those who cannot pick up on the 'signals' you mentioned, or simply misinterpret these signals - so much so that their reactions/responses are flat-out misguided, and may or may not turn out for the worse.

(EDIT to add: As for humanities future, in regards to their desire to Explore; Both the Earth, and the Universe - I suppose anything is possible. - But also, there is always competition to be the first to make any sort of discovery. If people were to overcome their longing to compete with one and other, and work together they might be better off. - Although, perhaps it is these inner conflicts amongst the masses, which is what motivates a certain few to strive forward in hopes of finding the answers to the questions shared by people all over the world. - Or maybe it's the failure to overcome these shortcomings, that is what separates most people from seeking and/or finding the truth to begin with.)
_______

Interesting post though, OP!

It made me think - and again, I understand your perspective.
edit on 11-2-2014 by iunlimited491 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

It's important to remind ourselves that we are complex systems, which means, we are highly sensitive to external-internal feedback loops.

For example: why do you consider this a "tall order"? I agree by the way - from where we CURRENTLY ARE i.e. from the perspective of the culture we emerge from as individuals, it seems as if monk like devotion to ethics and science is a tall order. But this is the interesting thing. How we feel about things is an emergent property of the general "feel" of the culture surrounding us. This is why the "star trek" future is not going to happen anytime soon, but will be something that gradually emerges as culture and society - led by intelligent and incremental changes in education - slowly shapes the unconscious processes of human beings.

So thats the beauty of it. It's not that "hard" to be good and kind when the only mental model you've been exposed to is good and kindness. And when everyone around you models this way of being, it becomes recursive: it repeats itself. It reinforces itself.

Just look at where we've come thus far. Just 70 years ago societies were aflame with segregation, discrimination and bigotry. Today, as we look back on that past, its hard to understand what the hell was wrong with their thinking. How could they tolerate the obvious irrationality of forcing blacks to sit at the back of the bus? Fortunately, human beings when they put their mind to it and establish fixtures - cues - within our institutional bodies (repositories of our cultures collective wisdom), are able to promote and produce individuals who see things more accurately. Intelligence, as were learning more and more nowadays, is deeply intertwined with emotional awareness. Emotional intelligence is far more important than cognitive intelligence, since the former creates the conditions for the latter to flourish.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

The mind is complex, and as they say... everyone is different. Everybody responds to the emotions of others in a different way. There are people out there who have a completely different outlook. For instance; everything you believe is the opposite of everything they believe. This leads to both 'negative' and 'positive' reactions, in accordance to how they perceive you, your emotions, and whatever else, etc. etc. - Then there are those who cannot pick up on the 'signals' you mentioned, or simply misinterpret these signals - so much so that their reactions/responses are flat-out misguided, and may or may not turn out for the worse.

I can see your point. Yes, there are many complexities involved in changing the collective culture, especially when there are factions within the whole who actively resist the types of change promoted by the general culture and education systems.

Right now, though, there is abundant evidence showing that fundamentalist-religious beliefs are on the decline and have been for years. Though, it's also important to recognize that people of differing views, especially here in North America, are able to communicate with one another and seek a "compromise" approach in handling various situations. These "compromises" involve each side giving up ground. There are a medley of examples of this and I'm sure you can recall from your own life how well things work when you're willing to be flexible in relating with others. This again is an intrinsic part of emotional intelligence: when you are aware of the subjective experience of the person you're relating with, you can more intelligently craft your argument so as to make them receptive, rather than reactive.

As I said in the post, this process of change will happen through the school systems. It is about EDUCATION - this is by far, at this moment in time, the most important and relevant science I can think of. On another note, Evolution SHOULD be taught in schools, since it is important that children know the relationship between ourselves and the world around us. We are a part of the natural order, and we evolved WITH it, to become the species at the top of the food chain. In addition, in order to respect the philosophical/religious sensitivities of people who believe in God, we should not presume/indoctrinate children into thinking that evolution CREATED us, but rather, teach it in a secular way, emphasizing the mechanism of evolution without enforcing a particular interpretation of it's meaning for man. The HOW should be emphasized - not the WHY. This again shows how we can teach a truth that helps us relate to our past and to each other in a more accurate way, without seeking to subvert the meaning-making aspect of man. HOW - a question people often ask, should be ingrained in people are being more important than the WHY: the why is a question that, when thought of by itself, creates disconnections between one another as one person decides to become a "prophet of change" - rigidly holding to his metaphysical outlook without paying attention to the consequential fissure in human connection. This is not to say that the "why" is an important question, but it HAS TO be subjugated to the HOW if we are going to make a better world. Recognizing the way emotional processes enforce how we see the world and how we relate to each other - a perspective of the "HOW" - should put into perspective the relative inanity of putting too much stock in our theories of WHY the world is the way it is.

These are the complicated 'background issues' that stand between this vision of the world we all want - a future where each of us will be more cooperative and kind with one another, and will be able to concentrate our energies on exploration of the world around us.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I watched the film 'Blackfish' which is about killer whales in places like sea world. The whales are peaceful creatures when not in captivity, however because they are squeezed together in small boxes when not being used they turn psychotic and have attacked and killed many trainers.
The film made me think of the way humans are enslaved and that every human may be slightly psychotic because of the way they have to live. I walked around a supermarket and thought that if I smile at someone they will smile back - but cut them up in a car and see what happens.

edit on 11-2-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I predict that as time unfolds, and as the future inches closer, human-kind will continue evolving forward with the help of intelligent policy in education, spurred by changes in academia, and in culture. Mindfulness and social-emotional regulation will become a fixture of education.

I was enjoying the message until I got to "intelligent policy" and "social-emotional regulation"

Do you think/predict that we are reliant upon a governing body to regulate us into better existence?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I like the whole speech.

The World is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round, and it has thrills and chills and is very brightly colored, and it's very loud. And it's fun, for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they've begun to question, 'Is this real, or is this just a ride?', and other people have remembered, and they've come back to us and they say 'Hey, don't worry. Don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride.' and we KILL THOSE PEOPLE.

"Shut him up! We have alot invested in this ride! SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account, and my family. This just has to be real."

It's just a ride.

But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that. You ever noticed that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because ... It's just a ride.

And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear wants you to put bigger locks on your door, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world right now, to a better ride:

Take all that money we spent on weapons and defence each year and instead spend it feeding, clothing, and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and WE CAN EXPLORE SPACE, TOGETHER, BOTH INNER AND OUTER, forever ... in peace.

-- Bill Hicks (1961 - 1994)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Astrocyte
reply to post by tridentblue

It's important to remind ourselves that we are complex systems, which means, we are highly sensitive to external-internal feedback loops.

For example: why do you consider this a "tall order"? I agree by the way - from where we CURRENTLY ARE i.e. from the perspective of the culture we emerge from as individuals, it seems as if monk like devotion to ethics and science is a tall order. But this is the interesting thing. How we feel about things is an emergent property of the general "feel" of the culture surrounding us.

So thats the beauty of it. It's not that "hard" to be good and kind when the only mental model you've been exposed to is good and kindness. And when everyone around you models this way of being, it becomes recursive: it repeats itself. It reinforces itself.

That's a really interesting post. One thing I love about it is I sense in it the idea, that every good action has the ramifications that reach far beyond it, in the way it shapes the "feel" of the culture around us.

I've heard, but not read, about some ideas associated with "mirror neurons". The ideas were that people tend to mimic each other, so a person can shape society by being good and positive, as others follow suit.

What I've always had a hard time with is the balance between between being positive and being honest. Above all science calls for honesty, but dwelling on everything bad in the world, in the name of honesty, can be dishonest in its own strange way. In a world where increasingly vast amounts of data are available to us, the question moves from being about what info is true, to which part of the vast sea of true information should I focus on to make the world a better place.

new topics

top topics

join