It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beef recall: Close to 9 million pounds of beef as ‘unfit for human food’ by USDA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Tongue and heart are good. We beef heart on a regular basis. Mountain oysters are also pretty good eating. I've not ever had tripe, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it if I got the chance to try it prepared by someone who knew what they were doing. Oxtail is sold regularly for soup and stew flavoring and thickening as it's very fatty; they only reason we haven't used it yet is because oxtails are also rather pricey. Tongue is also rather pricey.

A lot of these things are sold in our local grocery because they are popular with the immigrant population, people like myself who aren't too far from our farming roots, and we have a Polish butcher who isn't too far from his own farming roots and remembers what these were all used for in the Old Country, so he stocks them.

You might turn your nose up at them now, but if the financial world collapses, there are likely going to be a lot of things we'll all be learning how not to be too proud to eat again.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

my only problem is with the corn fed beef

no matter what the cut

im not even once removed from the farm

grandmother loved the head cheese

but i just cant eat poisoned cow

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

ketsuko
Tongue and heart are good. We beef heart on a regular basis. Mountain oysters are also pretty good eating. I've not ever had tripe, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it if I got the chance to try it prepared by someone who knew what they were doing. Oxtail is sold regularly for soup and stew flavoring and thickening as it's very fatty; they only reason we haven't used it yet is because oxtails are also rather pricey. Tongue is also rather pricey.

A lot of these things are sold in our local grocery because they are popular with the immigrant population, people like myself who aren't too far from our farming roots, and we have a Polish butcher who isn't too far from his own farming roots and remembers what these were all used for in the Old Country, so he stocks them.

You might turn your nose up at them now, but if the financial world collapses, there are likely going to be a lot of things we'll all be learning how not to be too proud to eat again.

Tripas...one of my absolute favorite summer festival foods. I like my fried crispy on the outside, slightly chewy on the inside, and served on a tortilla with fresh pico de gallo and guacamole.

Or "tripe" (i.e., cow stomach, versus "tripas", which are the intestines) as in menudo. A sunday morning staple around here....when I am allowing hominey in my diet. LOL

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Ooo, hominy! I haven't had that in a while. I like mine fried up in skillet with a couple pieces of diced bacon and some green beans.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

pheonix358
Who would eat that stuff!

What did they do with the steaks.

We got heads and feet, lips and cheeks, hell, I dread to think what some of those parts are.

Seriously, for human consumption?

It begs the question, just what are they putting in those pasta sauces and your world famous burgers.

Yuck!

P

ETA, I did some digging, just about every part is in there. Only thing missing is the eyes. What the hell do they do with the eyes. You really need to discover what is in what these days. I thought that all of this stuff goes into pet food or pig feed. Nope you guys and girls eat it all up. Good for you!
edit on 11/2/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

Having worked for many years in the petfood industry I can 100% assure you that pet food does NOT contain anything so nourishing. Pet food, imo, should not even be labeled with the word "food".

I always encourage people to make their own food for their pets, its quite easy!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

VoidHawk

pheonix358
Who would eat that stuff!

What did they do with the steaks.

We got heads and feet, lips and cheeks, hell, I dread to think what some of those parts are.

Seriously, for human consumption?

It begs the question, just what are they putting in those pasta sauces and your world famous burgers.

Yuck!

P

ETA, I did some digging, just about every part is in there. Only thing missing is the eyes. What the hell do they do with the eyes. You really need to discover what is in what these days. I thought that all of this stuff goes into pet food or pig feed. Nope you guys and girls eat it all up. Good for you!
edit on 11/2/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

Having worked for many years in the petfood industry I can 100% assure you that pet food does NOT contain anything so nourishing. Pet food, imo, should not even be labeled with the word "food".

I always encourage people to make their own food for their pets, its quite easy!

Can you do a thread about this? It sounds like an interesting subject (and the "make your own" recipe(s) would be useful), and I know a veterinarian who told a family member what's in some dog food and why dogs shouldn't eat it. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Since reading this this morning I am having such a hard time eating meat. I made chicken tonight and could not manage more than a few bites. Back to fish, bird (turkey), and beans/rice for proteins I guess. Maybe some eggs for good measure. I haven't eaten a hotdog in 30 years. I won't eat fast food due to the nasty stuff they put in that meat. Now I can't eat meat period. Maybe it's for the best.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Hey, I like my dirty rice DIRTY (which means organ meats).
I also know that pork jowls are FAR more epic than Bacon.

Sometimes those things we'd like to cross off the list are actually some good eats.

Damn shame it's contaminated. But considering that my father used to work for both IBP and John Morrell, I try not to think too much about how bad meats can get--although most of it's not too bad off, usually.

I do know that I'm not fond of med-rare hamburger meat, though. Messes with my stomach, although it tastes good.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

You made me think of something - a person could make their own sausage and burger. If you have a full roast at least you can know what it is.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

That's the only way I'd do it. Have my father-in-law's old hand cranked grinder.

From what my father told me, Fudruckers grinds their burger on-site--or at least they did 30 years ago, when he was in college.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I must say I've eaten their hamburgers. Don't see them as fast food. I'll check next time. And I'm going to look into a meat grinder. Simply because I need the protein so truly don't want to give it up. I know you have to put some fat into it or it won't turn out right. I'll just google that or ask an actual butcher.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

My favourite burgers are actually about 1/3 pork. Getting a great meatloaf recipe would work for making some burgers, too.

Check out Tuesday Morning when their grill stuff comes in. Fairly cheap decent quality stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have to increase D. Only natural sources are eggs and fish. Going through 2/3rds a flat every week, roughly.

edit on 11-2-2014 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Cod liver oil. I have some and rarely take it but it's only because I conveniently forget it's there. It's one of the best sources. And thanks for Tuesday morning idea. I'll check that out.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

We need more inspectors - but the wing nuts don't believe in regulation or inforcement of same. In other states it would have taken deaths to discover. But California is cutting way back too.

How are you going to protect yourself - grow all your own food...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

FyreByrd

We need more inspectors - but the wing nuts don't believe in regulation or inforcement of same. In other states it would have taken deaths to discover. But California is cutting way back too.

You sound pretty sure of yourself.

Can you elaborate?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Some of the best (all organic and grass fed) beef I've ever eaten was from old milk cows. LOL -

I forgot - bitch'n dog bones too.

Organic Bone and Blood meal for gardens.

Good stuff.
edit on 13-2-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

xuenchen

FyreByrd

You sound pretty sure of yourself.

Can you elaborate?

Simple - I dislike the hypocrisy of being infuriated about food borne disease and then the next day infuriated about regulation, and paying for inspectors.

One can't have it both ways - you want safe food products - then you need the factory farms tightly regulated and regularly inspected by health inspectors that are well trained and honest. Can't do that with 'private contractors'.

But if you want no government - then you will never have safe food products unless 1) you know and trust the farmer (can you trust agribusiness) or 2) grow your own.

Clear enough.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

FyreByrd

Take it from someone who's in a position to know. All the inspectors really do is make you feel better about life. There isn't a regulation or inspector that can't be gotten around by an industry if they are determined to do so. In fact there are entire industries devoted to helping industries pass/get around inspections.

This is from my husband who has been inspected by multiple different world inspection agencies (including US) and has done some inspections, himself.

Unless you have inspectors who are truly dedicated and on a mission that day, all they're really looking for are the low hanging fruit and that's assuming they aren't having smoke blown in their faces. A seasoned inspector knows this of course, but then you are still back to him really caring about doing his job.
edit on 13-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Im guessing the USDA is recalling the beef because it didn't not contain enough GMO's and Steroids?

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Thats a shame.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join