It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Maryland Legislators Move To Kill NSA Headquarters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

nixie_nox
This needs to be moved to the HOAX section.
Why?
mgaleg.maryland.gov...

edit on 2/11/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Phage

nixie_nox
Why?
mgaleg.maryland.gov...

Thanks, Phage. You beat me to it.

I thought Ben Swann was considered a reliable source if people know anything about him.

AAC

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

nixie_nox
I can't believe how gullible ATSers can be. Anyone can post garbage and you all buy into it.

I'm not seeing where this is applicable in this thread and source? Would you like to elaborate...

Replies suffice
:

AnAbsoluteCreation

Phage

nixie_nox
Why?
mgaleg.maryland.gov...

Thanks, Phage. You beat me to it.

I thought Ben Swann was considered a reliable source if people know anything about him.

AAC

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I'm not seeing where this is applicable in this thread and source? Would you like to elaborate...

Nah. He took off. Truth snuck up on his cynicism.

AAC

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Somehow I feel (no evidence to back it up) that our elected officials were more than aware about the spying activity and kept looking the other way as they kept being buttered up. Until one day they realized Oh cr@p they have been spying on us too and got stuff on us as well.

I think our elected officials just might wake up and realize they are no longer in control after years of playing the game.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Or, it's a political play in an election year.
Introduce a bill that stands no chance of becoming law because of it's constitutional problems but really gets people going.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Phage

Introduce a bill that stands no chance of becoming law because of it's constitutional problems but really gets people going.

Could very well be true. However, I would assume that "getting people going" is counter-intuitive. Unless of course getting people going is also part of the plan. Who knows anymore?

AAC

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

A great act of defiance, but they still only shoot the messenger.
The NSA do what they are permitted to, what they're told to do...so shooting the messenger sure feels good, but ultimately won't solve the problems that led to them becoming so well armed.

imo, ymmv etc.etc..

edit on 12-2-2014 by Rosha because: typo

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
What really blows me away is how James Clapper can get away with this;

Is that not perjury? Lying under oath to Congress? And yet a journalist like Glenn Greenwald is the name you see & hear in the mainstream media news about the govt. wanting to arrest. For what?! Doing his job?

To the OP; This is fantastic news if anything comes of it, which I hope it does.

I wonder if, and sincerely hope that- this is a case of people finally starting to wake up to the increasingly obvious truth. Namely, it is unwise to allow governments to violate constitutional and basic fundamental human rights, ostensibly in the name of fighting would be terrorists.

Frankly I'm surprised it's taken this long for people to become outraged, at least not enough people are in my opinion. Or perhaps the facts are just too unbelievable/unbearable for some people to acknowledge.

Just think; that paranoid, perma-fried acid freak hippie you went to high school with that always ranted and raved about the government spying on everyone that you may have snickered and rolled your eyes at was actually right all along.

Obligatory S&F for a story that I hope garners the attention it deserves and continues gathering momentum.

Peace. ~
edit on 12-2-2014 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

All the individual states have to do, if they can all get on the same page, is withhold federal tax payments, or simply make them illegal and starve the beast

And also start printing their own currency and create a peoples bank

from kingsquirel

get rid of the other two entities in which kennedy was talking about, as they are not apart of the government apparatus

Kennedy also tried to get rid of the Fed Reserve and for Govt to print its money

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Cyn50
As a college student born, raised, and attending school in Maryland while pursuing a Computer Science / Cyber Security degree, this is bad.

If I read it correctly, this means no internships, which leads to one less place to get experience in the field. I know people who work with the NSA, and they aren't bad people. It may be corrupt as a whole, but I'm very much against this bill. There are other ways to go about dealing with the NSA besides this.

I'm sorry, but this is disgusting.

I suppose the Nazis were all just "doing their jobs" as well. How well did that work out for them at Nuremburg?

You're willing to sell your neighbors down the river for money. Disgusting.
edit on 12-2-2014 by TomLawless because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TomLawless

I suppose the Nazis were all just "doing their jobs" as well. How well did that work out for them at Nuremburg?

Remember the first rule of online discussion: first person to call someone a Nazi (unless discussing actual Nazis) loses.

Or willing to protect his/her neighbors from threats foreign and domestic. Do you still find that disgusting?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I don't believe they are going to get rid of the programs that the NSA uses to spy on citizens. But hopefully they will. I'll be the judge of this tho. Meaning if that NSA computer Echelon is still on me after they shut the NSA programs down officially - I'll let you guys know.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Phage

Than there is that too. Congress is definitely really good at getting the people going.

I'm personally fond of the Dog and Pony shows put on during the congressional hearings, such as the CEO that took the bailouts. Congress sure did use some harsh language against them while on the stand, you could tell the CEO were really really angry how they were treated. Until of course nothing came of it and they laughed all the way to the bank to cash in their multimillion bonus checks.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

DJW001

Remember the first rule of online discussion: first person to call someone a Nazi (unless discussing actual Nazis) loses.

Or willing to protect his/her neighbors from threats foreign and domestic. Do you still find that disgusting?

Bravo Sierra.

We are, in fact discussing a tyrannical invasion of personal sovereignty. It's not hyperbolic to compare them to Nazis. I don't care about your silly, arbitrary Internet code.

As for your second "point"....Do I really need to explain the irony of blatant disregard for privacy in order to protect us from bearded men in caves? The idea should be absolutely cloying to anyone that values liberty.

Obviously you equate liberty with compliance. These words will surely be lost on you.
edit on 12-2-2014 by TomLawless because: Correction of egregious sentence structure

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

DJW001

The level of short-sighted views in this reply are staggering. You are the thought-processes that hurt our futures. True story.

Those who give up freedoms for security deserve neither. I'll let you google who said that.

AAC.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Naturally, when it comes to saving their own skins, the corrupt politicians will be quick to kill the NSA, because they have dirt of everyone, including the same corrupt politicians. They are simply getting the problem out of the way, and making it look like they're doing it for the people. The NSA and entities like it, are funded secretly from unknown sources. They will just shift gears and operate from somewhere else, under different names. It will take a lot more than a few bills to bring them down. The NSA is too evil to fail.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

AnAbsoluteCreation

DJW001

The level of short-sighted views in this reply are staggering. You are the thought-processes that hurt our futures. True story.

Those who give up freedoms for security deserve neither. I'll let you google who said that.

AAC.

Well said, Brother.

I gave you one of those stupid little stars.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by junglimogli

I've heard people say that before about the politicians scared about the dirt they have on them, which is why they are moving against the NSA. However, I don't think that's the case. If it was true, would the NSA not threaten them with said "info" not to move against them?

AAC

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Uh oh, NSA. Another STATE (UTAH) has moved to stop the NSA as well.

SALT LAKE CITY, February 12, 2014–Can Utah shut down the new NSA data center by turning off the water? A new bill introduced by state Rep. Marc Roberts seeks to do just that.
The legislation drafted by a transpartisan coalition organized by the Tenth Amendment Center (TAC) and the Bill of Rights Defense Committee (BORDC) called OffNow Coalition. The Utah Fourth Amendment Protection Act would expressly prohibit state material support, participation, and assistance to any federal agency that collects electronic date or metadata without a search warrant “that particularly desribes the person, place and thing to be searched or seized.”
“Without question, the mass surveillance and data collection by the Utah Data Center is a delicate and important matter,” Roberts said. “But for me, the language of the Fourth Amendment is clear. It simply protects us against unreasonable and unwarranted searches or seizures of our persons, private residencies and property, documents and information and personal and private belongings. This legislation preserves those rights to the people.”

MODS, if you see this, can you update the thread title to include Utah as well?

AAC

edit on 12-2-2014 by AnAbsoluteCreation because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join