It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart phones installed with Flappy Birds fetching £50,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Good evening ATSers, a little off-topic banter for you all.

As some of you will have heard the latest craze to hit the app store was the game Flappy Birds. Unfortunately for them the game was pulled from the app store as the man who invented the popular game could not cope with the day to day stress the game had created for him. It was netting him up to £50,000 per day through advertising and was downloaded a mere 50 million times.

Well, that won't stop some people from playing their beloved Flappy Birds.

Ebay sellers were quick to cash-in on Flappy Bird addiction however, immediately listing hundreds of iPhones and other devices with the game still playable, with one rocketing up to an eye-watering $80,500 (about £50,000).

Source

I've been on E-Bay to check for myself and one phone has now hit a cool £6,000,500 (yes, 6 million and five hundred pounds).

What is going on in the world today?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
People who have more money than sense.

That, or they'll claim it was their child on the account.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Just goes to show how easily the acts of a few individuals can influence the entire market...

..Nobody is paying 6 million for a game...

It's called a speculation market for a reason, and right now people with multiple Ebay accounts are trying to run it..

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I installed this just the other day after the news was reporting on how popular it was. I never even got around to playing it... but it is still installed on my Android device. Any takers???

That is crazy. There are a ton of places one can go to download the game (still) without paying for it. People are lazy though, so whoever can make money off of it... Good for you!
edit on 2/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I guess there are many people out there dumber than a plank can have money to burn. I belive this game was free and paid for by ingame advertising.

I swear as technolgy advances people are increasingly losing touch with reality, have no common sense.

Im sure George Carlin is looking down right now thinking WTF are these goofy looking morons doing

edit on 10-2-2014 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by angryhulk

I think a great idea for an iphone game would be "floppy bird" and would be adult oriented.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
How absolutely ridiculous. You can download an apk from most places for free. One phone with it installed is also a source for copies.
Anyone paying more than the price of the phone itself for a phone with flappy birds is an idiot parting with money, not a sale of flappy birds. lmao

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
How yo win the game..

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I tried it one time and as soon as I saw it I said "somebody about to get sued by Nintendo"!

I have Flappy Birds on Android and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I wonder how much that would fetch on Ebay??

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I side loaded this on my Z30. Wonder how much I can get on ebay for "RARE BLACKBERRY Z30 SMARTPHONE WITH FLAPPY BIRD!" as a header. Because you know blackberry is extinct now days and so is Flappy bird, so I guess I can get like at least a billion.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

That is 2 android devices.
and only the silly would buy it, so probably a crapload on ebay.

The idea of this game is what we used to code in lined basic decades ago. I should write flappy birds 2, the dev strikes back.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
As someone with ample computer knowledge, this amuses me to no end...

*looks at his old smart phones*

I could start a flappy bird game machine factory, hell I just installed it on my iphone 5s just to prove how easy it is to do.

ETA:

This game is #, and a clone of many other similar games, usally uses a helicopter.

That being said, Ill gladly sell someone my iphone with Flappy birds on it, accepting all offers.
edit on 10-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
What the heck is Flappy Bird? I have a bunch of Apps in my file cabinet in case someone wants to apply for a job.
edit on 10-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by angryhulk

its a publicity stunt... the game will be back on the market soon.

The account selling the phone for that much money is also owned by the people buying it and both accounts are made by the people who are behind flappy birds.

It's a computer.... like any other computer in the world, you can copy the file from one to another... simples.

However, if you're interested, I'll happily sell you a phone with Flappy Birds on it for 25k

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
...and yet, there's not a single shred of evidence that the purported headline is actually true.

A stupid high troll bid on ebay is meaningless.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Well, That escalated quickly!

Made me laugh , thanks

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sn0rch

To be honest, I'm not into cell phones and tablets.
It's my wife & daughters. It would be a good thing to get rid of their phones and stuff. I rarely carry one unless I'm heading back in the wilderness for some R&R. Never know when you might need to reach out & touch someone

But seriously, I might put these up on Ebay just to test the water. If some idiot is dumb enough to part with big money for it then I'm dumb enough to sell it to'em.

top topics

join