It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bold Prediction: Intelligent Alien Life Could Be Found by 2040

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I don't think many of us would fall for that nowadays ...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

game over man
City lights on a planet would be disclosed before an alien communication signal.
This order of disclosure:

1. Microbes
2. Ocean life
3. Non-ocean life
4. Advanced life detected on exoplanet
5. Alien Communication
6. Alien interaction

Rather than microbes, I think number one could the discovery of a planet that appears to have an atmosphere like Earth's which indicates the presence of life. Not intelligent life, but at least microbial or plant life that changes the atmosphere in some way. And the farther away, the better.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with this "bold prediction"

Here's why:

Alien life won't be found, alien life will find us.

IMO.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

We are on the way... www.universetoday.com...

^
Hubble Finds ‘Clear Signal’ of Water in 5 Exoplanet Atmospheres

I agree the farther away the better...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Agreed Ms.Jade. Agreed.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I believe our goal as a race is go find another planet to live on, and so we want to have support from the public backing us a type 1 civilization.

reply to post by game over man

Man, maybe I am a pessimist, but my understanding of the Kardashev scale tells me that we are a LONG WAY from being a Type 1 civilization.
I understand Sagan developed a scale of his own based on Kardashev's that puts us currently at a 0.8 civilization and all I can say that he is either wholly wrong, or there is an exponential curve to this scale.

I mean Jesus, as far as we know we haven't even mastered the moon yet, which is abundant in Helium 3.

We have a LONG WAY to go before we master this solar system.
A LONG, LONG way to go.

And even if we moved to Mars today, that doesn't make us type 1.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

We are currently a type zero civilization but I'm assuming once we are capable of interstellar travel we will be a type 1.

Humans to Mars? I think spending robots is better until we have better space flight available. We do have a long way to go, I agree. I think a "gas station/rest stop" of some sorts built on the Moon will be necessary too, which is also a long way off.

Do you think mankind will make contact with ET first by humans visiting a distant planet in the far off future? Or advanced ET makes contact with all of mankind?

To me, there seems to be a cover up, so we are in it for the long haul on disclosure. Therefore why I suspect this slow unraveling of discoveries.

However we are searching for various signs of alien life in the universe from micro to advanced life, so what will we find first? It would be interesting to know the betting lines for each search. Of the various searches, which one has the best odds of discovering alien life first?
edit on 10-2-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

game over man
We are currently a type zero civilization but I'm assuming once we are capable of interstellar travel we will a type 1.

Don't hold your breath for it. Even if we had someplace to go (does Alpha Centauri have a habitable planet?), it's still gonna take us a long, long time to get there. Make-believe fusion spacewarp drive engines aren't going to get us there.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Type 1 means you have harnesses the power of your star.
Meaning you utilize ALL of its energy output.
Which means you need something like a Dyson sphere built in order to capture that energy.
Which means that you will need to harness literally ALL of the resources available in your star system in order to do so...and even then I dunno if it is even possible, let alone feasible.

You could go interstellar (we have actually) and still not scratch the surface of a type one civ.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I was editing my post as you two commented. I think locating an Earth like planet ultimately has the goal to visit it one day.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

game over man
I was editing my post as you two commented. I think locating an Earth like planet ultimately has the goal to visit it one day.

They are so very, very far away, though. Mind boggling distances. Requiring massive nearly deity-like amounts of power. So much so that it would almost be easier for us to create our own planets out of stuff we collect from the Asteroid Belt and Oort Cloud.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

JayinAR

Type 1 means you have harnesses the power of your star.
Meaning you utilize ALL of its energy output.
Which means you need something like a Dyson sphere built in order to capture that energy.
Which means that you will need to harness literally ALL of the resources available in your star system in order to do so...and even then I dunno if it is even possible, let alone feasible.

You could go interstellar (we have actually) and still not scratch the surface of a type one civ.

You are wrong, that is type 2 .

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Blue Shift

PhoenixOD
Scientist have to keep making these predictions to get funding for almost unimaginably expensive projects that don't really achieve anything.

I don't know. SETI is pretty cheap compared to some other military-type projects that get funded and never get deployed. There's plenty of money sitting around in the pockets of the ultra rich. Doesn't hurt to look, keep a few dozen overeducated brainiacs employed. People piss away many multiples of that amount of money on football. Finding aliens would be more interesting than football... at least until football season starts again.

^^^

THIS.

Once upon a time in ancient history, the 1970s, just around the time of the end of the Apollo landings, some very smart scientists asked what SETI could do if money were no object.

They came up with the Project Cyclops report (Downloadable PDF here)

Project Cyclops would have featured 1,000 dishes 100 meters in size, in a circular pattern 10 miles in diameter:

What would we have been able to do with it back in the 70s/80s?

Cyclops would have been able to hear the faintest whisper, the quietest murmurings from ET, capable of picking up rogue leakage from their civilizations or being deafened by the blaring signal of a deliberate beacon.

The total cost of Project Cyclops was estimated at between 6 and 10 billion 1971 US dollars.

The USS Nimitz (CVN 68) US Navy aircraft carrier was built in 1975 for around 5 billion US dollars.

The Nimitz is likely to be decommissioned within the next 6 to 10 years.

Project Cyclops had it been built would still be doing useful science well until 2040 or beyond as electronics and computers would be upgraded to take better advantage of those dishes.

So yeah. One Project Cyclops would have equalled one aircraft carrier.

In reality and for comparison the largest SETI experiment to date, the Allen Telescope Array in California only cost $30 million to construct. All of that came in the form of private donations, with no money from the government as NASA is forbidden from doing SETI research.

$30 million about the cost of one the planes on the USS Nimitz.

edit on 10-2-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

JadeStar

It has nothing to do with "being ready". By the way, most people my age were born ready. It's like: "Where are all the aliens already?"

THIS is the most awesome quote I've seen in response to the modern UFO conspiracy/mythology stance.

Yes indeed.
Where are they already?

Aww thank you.

Like you and I have said before, we want to believe, we just require very good, scientifically testable evidence.
edit on 10-2-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Blue Shift

game over man
We are currently a type zero civilization but I'm assuming once we are capable of interstellar travel we will a type 1.

Don't hold your breath for it. Even if we had someplace to go (does Alpha Centauri have a habitable planet?), it's still gonna take us a long, long time to get there. Make-believe fusion spacewarp drive engines aren't going to get us there.

We could do a probe to Alpha Centauri right now.

It would take about 108 years to get there though.

Project Longshot

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

JadeStar
This article mentions the growing optimism I've been talking about here on ATS with regards to our chance of finding intelligent life in our Galaxy in the next 30 years.
Are you sure it's not shrinking optimism instead of growing optimism?

In 2004 this article appeared saying Seth Shostak said something about finding alien life by 2025. Isn't 2040 less optimistic than 2025?

Astronomer predicts alien contact by 2025

A lot of people are skeptical about aliens, but qualified astronomers think otherwise. One of these astronomers, Seth Shostak -- an astronomer at the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) -- believes we will make contact with the little green men by 2025. He says we will make this connection by either light signals from ourincreasingly powerful telescopes or by broadcast waves.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

awesome pics!!

thank you JadeStar!

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

imho it IS better than funding soldiers to bomb others in other countries.

peace

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I'm still try'n to find intelligent life on this planet.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Arbitrageur

JadeStar
This article mentions the growing optimism I've been talking about here on ATS with regards to our chance of finding intelligent life in our Galaxy in the next 30 years.
Are you sure it's not shrinking optimism instead of growing optimism?

In 2004 this article appeared saying Seth Shostak said something about finding alien life by 2025. Isn't 2040 less optimistic than 2025?

Astronomer predicts alien contact by 2025

A lot of people are skeptical about aliens, but qualified astronomers think otherwise. One of these astronomers, Seth Shostak -- an astronomer at the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) -- believes we will make contact with the little green men by 2025. He says we will make this connection by either light signals from our increasingly powerful telescopes or by broadcast waves.

Good find.

My take is that Seth was basing that on the schedule of the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) and NASA Terrestrial Planet Finders (TPF) coming online at the time in 2004.

Back then, in 2004 the TPF(s) were going to be launched operational by 2018. The TPF would have been sensitive enough to detect artificial light on the night side of a terrestrial exoplanet.

Also back then the Square Kilometer Array was scheduled to be completed by 2015-2020.

What happened in reality was that the Terrestrial Planet Finder(s) were cancelled in 2006 and the work towards building SKA has taken longer to get going than was thought in 2004, mostly due to the 2008 global financial crisis.

As I said, this prediction and his 2004 prediction are predicated on new hardware coming online.

Throw in another major war or global financial downturn and we lose a decade or two.
edit on 11-2-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join