It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ga. gov declares state of emergency as storm looms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I wanted to put this in the humor forum as I found the article very humorous.

With memories of gridlock on icy Atlanta highways still fresh, Georgia officials got a second chance Monday to prove the state could prepare for winter weather. The governor declared a state of emergency hours ahead of the storm, something he didn't do two weeks ago.

news.yahoo.com...

After the last storm, I think that he may be over-reacting a bit. And I really don't think they'll be any more ready for this than last time. But at least he is being pro-active by declaring a state of emergency...before there is an actual emergency.

Maybe he's gunning for a federal grant to get more plow trucks?
edit on 10-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA to fix the linky

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well, the past three days, portlands ground to a halt and fell into Mad Max esc chaos.

And thats like 3 inch of snow.

Best to be safe I guess.

ETA:

Also, after seeing the fall of Portland into madness from some ice and snow... We are sooooo screwed in a collapse scenario.

If there is no government to plow the roads, people will just curl up an die.
edit on 10-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Aren't they only going to get 2 inches of snow? I live in oklahoma and an average snow fall here is about 2-3 inches. We do get quite a bit of ice tho. And I love seeing the big jacked up trucks of guys overcompensating for certain "short comings" in the ditch stuck in snow. Slow and steady wins the race.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

benrl
Well, the past three days, portlands ground to a halt and fell into Mad Max esc chaos.

Best to be safe I guess.

ETA:

Also, after seeing the fall of Portland into madness from some ice and snow... We are sooooo screwed in a collapse scenario.

Wow, how often does Portland get snow? I can't imagine it's very often.. With that said, 3 inches causing a Mad Max scenario? That's....insane. Was it cold enough there to turn the snow to ice at least, or was this just mindless insanity due people freaking out that it snowed?

Being from Colorado, I can't even imagine 3 inches causing so much craziness, even without chains. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of over confident drivers with SUVs here that think a 4x4 means something on ice... but damn, snow itself is really not that hard to drive in. Maybe some education on snow/ice driving on the license test is in order!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I haven't driven with chains or studded snow tires since the eighties. And I've pertty much have always lived with the changing season, except when stationed in the south or the middle east. (Hey, they get ice there as well from time to time.)

Oh great! Now I'm screwed. I'll probably be in the ditch before the week is over for being over-confident.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

catfishjoe
Aren't they only going to get 2 inches of snow? I live in oklahoma and an average snow fall here is about 2-3 inches. We do get quite a bit of ice tho. And I love seeing the big jacked up trucks of guys overcompensating for certain "short comings" in the ditch stuck in snow. Slow and steady wins the race.

Yea. Wide flat and tall mudder tires don't do to well on snowy or icey roads.

They can though if people would let a little air out of them tires. But they never do.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Your link in the OP doesn't work correctly, gives me a reply window.
edit on 10-2-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by Wookiep

I haven't driven with chains or studded snow tires since the eighties.

Either have I, to be honest. I don't think they are needed as much as simple common sense and basic education on what to do on ice. For example, don't slam your breaks on a busy interstate on ice, ever. Steer your way out etc. I suppose chains are useful when driving in heavy snow to avoid getting stuck, but I haven't been stuck in the snow since my first car. 1972 Ford Pinto, hah! That thing was a deathtrap..

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Wookiep

benrl

Best to be safe I guess.

ETA:

Wow, how often does Portland get snow? I can't imagine it's very often.. With that said, 3 inches causing a Mad Max scenario? That's....insane. Was it cold enough there to turn the snow to ice at least, or was this just mindless insanity due people freaking out that it snowed?

Being from Colorado, I can't even imagine 3 inches causing so much craziness, even without chains. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of over confident drivers with SUVs here that think a 4x4 means something on ice... but damn, snow itself is really not that hard to drive in. Maybe some education on snow/ice driving on the license test is in order!

Its maddness and chaos, cats and dogs living togather, mass hysteria.

It got icey, we had frozen rain, but before that just snow, and chaos.

It amazes me daily that in the land of rain, no one knows how to drive in it, so you can imagine with snow.

I had cars passing me side ways into oncoming traffic...

City buses in ditches, CHAOS.

First thing my wife did was slide our AWD suv into a parked car,

People here, do not understand AWD or 4x4, do Jack # for stopping.

Im in a front wheel drive scion, and im getting around like a pro watching the insanity unfold around me.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

That's bizarre.

Thanks for the tip off. Hopefully it works now.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well it is not humorous. Let me explain and translate what you are not understanding.

I was a Northerner born and raised the first twenty five years of my life. I lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky,
and Northern and Southern Virginia. So I know what really bad snow is from the early 1970s. I presently reside in South Carolina. It has only snowed here five times in the last ten years. Three of the snows melted off by the end of the following day. One snow lasted almost a week. The last snow lasted two days. This was the storm that happened a few weeks ago.

When it snows here, or we have an ice storm, we are confined to sit it out at home. We do not have snow plows and salt trucks. Sometimes they will throw red dirt on the roads. The people here do not drive in the rain well either. It doesn't rain here too much. We just had a seven year draught. When it does rain all the oil on the roads rises up and people have car accidents in the rain on the slick roads. People here also seem to love and care for their families and neighbors and community members more than some other places in the United States. Who wants to risk someone's precious life? Georgia and South Carolina are more rural states and don't have the money for expensive snow removal equipment. Valentines day is usually spring time filled with blooming daffodils.

In Northern Virginia in the Shennadoah mountains we decided if snow flurries started to stay home. A blizzard could dump three feet of snow in two hours. They had snow blowing equipment that turned roads into tunnels. Its just smart to be careful.
edit on 10-2-2014 by frugal because: spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Its maddness and chaos, cats and dogs living togather, mass hysteria.

Lmao, great quote...

It got icey, we had frozen rain, but before that just snow, and chaos.

It amazes me daily that in the land of rain, no one knows how to drive in it, so you can imagine with snow.

I had cars passing me side ways into oncoming traffic...

City buses in ditches, CHAOS.

First thing my wife did was slide our AWD suv into a parked car,

People here, do not understand AWD or 4x4, do Jack # for stopping.

Im in a front wheel drive scion, and im getting around like a pro watching the insanity unfold around me.

That sounds horrifying and hellish indeed. Hang in there. My advice? Grab Mum, go over to Liz's place, hole up, have a cup of tea and wait for this whole thing to blow over.
edit on 10-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Wookiep
1972 Ford Pinto, hah! That thing was a deathtrap..

That brings back memories. I had a '72 Pinto Wagon for a winter car (nowadays called deathtrap). I even had a "Caution! Flammable! Stay back fifty feet sticker across the back. It was a BIG sticker. LOL

I even beat my friends '66 Corvette one day in a timed road race in it. He took the roads and I went as the crow flies...through the cornfields and logging trails. I started after him and was already leaning on my hood, drinking a beer when he pulled in to the parking lot. Ah...the eighties. Best three years of my life. LOL

But it had to go when the floorboard disintigrated driving through a deep puddle. That was embarrassing. No nooky for the kid that night. We looked like apes picking rust out of each others hair.
edit on 10-2-2014 by TDawgRex because: Yea...spelling

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That sounds eerily similar to my Pinto days, minus the corn field.. I actually won my share of races somehow, but I don't think due to the speediness of the vehicle, more the maneuverability of it and my crazy driving lol.

By the end of it, the whole car was pretty much held up by yarn and ductape..It was fun, but I was glad to finally be rid of it.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

frugal
Well it is not humorous. Let me explain and translate what you are not understanding.

Believe me. I do understand, I lived in Alabama & North Carolina. Been through most of the 48 states in all sorts of weather.

When it snows here, or we have an ice storm, we are confined to sit it out at home. We do not have snow plows and salt trucks. Sometimes they will throw red dirt on the roads. The people here do not drive in the rain well either.

When I was stationed at Ft. Lewis (now called Joint Base Lewis McChord) I saw people actually slow down when the sun comes out because it rains so much there. That was my theory anyways.

In Northern Virginia in the Shennadoah mountains we decided if snow flurries started to stay home. A blizzard could dump three feet of snow in two hours. They had snow blowing equipment that turned roads into tunnels. Its just smart to be careful.

I've driven through the Shennadoah during or shortly after snowstorms. It is not a good time. Quite stressful actually. But we are talking Atlanta here.

They will ask for a federal grant to get money to buy more plows...and then spend it on other stuff. They have done this for years.

top topics

join