It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Panel Breakthrough in Australia harnesses the power of the H atom!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
www.greentechgazette.com...

Professor Wenham worked directly with his UNSW team in order to discover that hydrogen atoms that are capable of effectively countering defects located in silicon cells found within many types of solar panels. That discovery alone led to a vast number of improvements in the design of photovoltaic panels in general. This level of breakthrough was not expected to be discovered and developed for at least another ten years.

So what?

This discovery allows a way to manufacture cheap silicon photovoltaic cells by incorporating H atoms that boost efficiency past even the highest grades of costly silicon cells, to more energy output.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

It likely won't matter how much solar cells are improved.
Most Americans will not embrace this technology until they start handing out solar displays on the street corner for free.

It is just the "American way".

Free means Free!!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

gardener
www.greentechgazette.com...

What is the Benefit?

...makes it possible for cheap silicon to actually become much better at absorbing light than the very highest quality silicon...
Sounds good, but no specifics and no idea when or if it might be commercialized.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

teamcommander

Most Americans will not embrace this technology until they start handing out solar displays on the street corner for free.

Free means Free!!

got mine last fall...27,000 grand worth, and I'm starting to see them around my town...so you comment rings hollow.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

THere are exceptions to every rule, and I applaud you for that.
I still feel safe about my judgement of the larger part of the population.
Therefore, I stand by my statement as cynical as it maybe.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

teamcommander

That part of it, I gotta agree. But, then again, America is for the most part, on a downward spiral, nuclear reactors and all.

There's 100+ other countries to benefit from this advancement, hence the thread. (America's just 1 short lived country out of them)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by teamcommander

Your spreading ignorance.

Look around you solar panels are everywhere.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

teamcommander

Free means Free!!

If the people knew about the tax breaks and credits you could get for installing solar there would be more people using it. Many people fall for the BS that the oil companies spread about solar energy not being able to provide enough energy.

Tax credits

edit on 10-2-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

onequestion

When we were in the Med area about 2000, there were solar panels all over the place. Still hardly see them in the UK. I suppose it has a lot to do with how sunny your area is. Apparently it's reached grid parity in some tropical countries.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I would beg to differ.
I am simply pointing out the obvious.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

teamcommander
reply to post by jimmyx

THere are exceptions to every rule, and I applaud you for that.
I still feel safe about my judgement of the larger part of the population.
Therefore, I stand by my statement as cynical as it maybe.

ok, I'll give you that about "the larger part of the population" part. but, with a large part of the populous living paycheck to paycheck, they are more interested in keeping the crappy-paying job they have to keep food on the table, and a roof over their heads.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I've gotten the offers to install solar panels here in CA in the mail, as well as the electric company offering to buy energy from me if I have solar panels.. I figured there has got to be a CON regarding the later.

Although, I do use solar panels for all outdoor lightening as well as my pond pump and fountain. It will be cool to be able now to use less costly panels and yet output more electricity,,, besides australia is just a hopskip to my new home in Asia!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Antigod

onequestion

When we were in the Med area about 2000, there were solar panels all over the place. Still hardly see them in the UK. I suppose it has a lot to do with how sunny your area is. Apparently it's reached grid parity in some tropical countries.

I seem to remember not long ago one or U S Congresspersons was adressing the issue of there being more solar panels in Europe than the U S.
If I remember her explaination correctly, it is because they do get more and better sunlight than we do here.
Of course I am speaking about the people of the U S not accepting solar panels.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sometimes i wonder, if all electricity of the planet was created with solar panels would it have a negative effect on the environment?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

teamcommander

Free means Free!!

Usually, people in the U.S. can get tax breaks for buying alternative energy sources. These breaks are designed to encourage people to spend the money up front in order to install these energy sources that may have a multi-year ROI (return on investment).

This potential news notwithstanding, solar has notoriously not had a very good promise for paying itself off quickly, so most people who buy solar are not interested in getting it paid off as much as they interested in "beinmg green" -- BUT that still doesn't mean they have expendable income to throw around. and that's where the tax credits come in.

However, if this discovery promises more efficient solar energy that might be able to pay itself off in a few short years, then even more people might take advantage of those tax credits.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I honestly dismiss a lot of energy breakthrough claims. Not because I think they are false, but because I honestly don't expect the truly great advancements, the ones that would save a large percentage on energy costs, to ever be allowed to reach the public. There are too many of the financial elite who earn a lot of money from such industries, and whenever something comes along that would severely cut into their profit margin, you can bet that some of them, somewhere, are going to be pulling strings behind the scenes to "hold up" the commercialization of such devices.

I wouldn't expect that this would be the type of thing anyone would want to advertise, unless they were attempting to expose it, and I honestly do not have anything definitive to point to as proof of such claims...It is just that I understand how ruthless some of these people are when it comes to making money. What I can point to as evidence is the exploitation of anyone and everyone when it results in increased profits, granted they think they can get away with it, legal or not. Child labor for instance, as that is the first thing that comes to mind. I guess my point is that those who have the type of wealth that I am talking about, didn't get it by being nice or playing by the rules. Somewhere along the way they exploited someone, they took advantage of people.

And we know there is a marriage between big business and politics. We know politicians are sometimes controlled by big businesses. So it is not difficult to imagine how they could get such products held up long before making it to the people, where it would make a difference. Take a group like the FDA. If businesses who deal in food or drugs have some of the big shots within the agency in their pockets, don't you think they could keep something from reaching the public if they thought it would hurt the profit margins? And who can prove it one way or the other? Those involved are not going to say anything, because they are all making money.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

This potential news notwithstanding, solar has notoriously not had a very good promise for paying itself off quickly, so most people who buy solar are not interested in getting it paid off as much as they interested in "beinmg green"

Location is sort of important in that equation. Hawaii is a good example. Electric bills plummet from 200+/month to a few bucks (because of net metering). That amortizes the cost(with tax credits included) very quickly. With electrical costs rising, it's not just a matter of being green.

It does sort of mess things up for those who don't go PV though. Electric company revenue drops so guess what happens to the rates?

www.forbes.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Time for Solar! Money aside, its the GREEN thing to do, anyways.

I'm joining the SOLAR bandwagon and hope Phage does do!

If I'm staying ANYWHERE in the USA by 2020, Hawaii is the only option; I dont wanna be stuck on the mainland surrounded by nuke reactors by 2020. ;(

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Of all the things to worry about you're worried about nuclear reactors? What you don't like high power density high tech civilization sustaining always on always available electricity? Which by the way you NEED to manufacture solar panels efficiently! LOL

Funny thing, there have been nuclear plant designs that are ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE safer than what's currently being ran. Do you know why we don't have these reactors? The anti nuclear lobby! Yes that's right the anti nuclear lobby is the reason the older less safe plants are still running, many WAY past their projected service life! Why can't we turn ours off like Germany is doing you say? Well millicent that's simple, because Gazprom can't build a natural gas pipeline to the US that will now supply all the new LNG based power stations Germany now needs to make up for their massive shortfalls!

So the next time you get upset about fukushima or the fact that 1st generation civil reactors are STILL running go punch someone from Greenpeace square in the face! Because they are the reason AT LEAST one person in your family will get cancer in the next few decades!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

teamcommander

Free means Free!!

I have found that solar cells sold today have a life of less then 20 years and some less then 5 years.

Then you have the stories like this that make home owner stop to think do they want to buy now or wait till the newer and cheaper panels hit the market.

I just bought two of the highest per square foot wattage panels on the market for my RV and they cost $1165 each.
this give me 320 watts.
I can get no state or federal tax credits because they go on a motor home even though i live in the motorhome full time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join