It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Die Hours Apart, Unaware of Other's Death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Couple Die Hours Apart, Unaware of Other's Death

A New Jersey couple that was married for 67 years died just a day apart even though each didn't know of the other's death. Olympia DeNittis, 95, died last Sunday in Edison, NJ, after a bout with pneumonia. Michael DeNittis, 94, died the next day just a few hours away in New Brunswick, NJ. Michael's family decided not to tell him about her death, hoping he might continue his 4-year battle with stage-IV colon cancer, but he said he had dreamed of his own death the night before, the New Jersey Star-Ledger reports.

"It was bizarre," says granddaughter AnnMarie McDonald. "I think instinctually he knew she had died."

Michael and Olympia were childhood sweethearts who grew up just a block away from each other in Port Reading, NJ, and got married after World War II.

Olympia "was dying of a broken heart," says McDonald, and wanted to die first "so he wouldn’t have to enter heaven without her there to welcome him." McDonald describes the family as devastated: "They were both remarkable people. We relied on their guidance and insight until the end. And now they’re together."

I've hosted (I think) 5 of these threads now on the same topic - but I'm never ever surprised - or without tears.
This one is particularly touching. Olympia willing to leave this life to pave the way for her husband's passing.

*Another hanky please*

So very very lovely.

peace

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I firmly believe that this kind of love exists. I believe that it is extremely rare, but I do have faith that it's real.

Thanks for sharing such an awe inspiring story.

edit on 2/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
What a beautiful story! Evidentally they must have had many long years to share their lives and love with each other. To pass away within a day of each other is quite a blessing.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I have to believe that he did know she passed. Very sad that they couldn't be together at the end.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

When you find your soulmate, it'll show..

God bless them two.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

This reminds me of the movie, The Notebook. The difference being that the couple were physically together in the film. If anyone has not seen this flick, and is interested in true, unconditional love among mortals, it is a must see.

Yet, I do believe that in the situation with this real-life couple, the deep love, consciousness, and connectivity brought their souls together within a similar time-frame. What a beautiful ending and beginning!

Should inspire us all just milling about our daily lives, and help us strive to get to the heart and passion of even the mundane!

Thanks for posting! S/F for a good news story on a Monday, especially. I will pledge, at least for today. to love my family much more deeply with this in mind as it has been a chaotic morning, LOL

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I understand how Olympia felt. Although I've only been married 37 years I can't imagine life or afterlife without my husband.

Our middle years when the kids were elementary to high school were very rocky. I thought about divorcing him many times during those years. But stayed.

Then once the "empty nest" happened it was like a flowering of our relationship. We are now more in love than ever before. Even the earliest years when we were in lust/love. Now we are in real love, deep, comforting, with an intimate knowledge of each others preferences that make arguing pointless.

We have both been through quite serious illness' lately. He panicked when I was in the hospital with pneumonia for a week. I was beside myself at his surgery 4 weeks ago, he is ok now.

It is not a "soulmate" kind of love, it is a love borne out of time, patience, persistence, and mostly forgiveness and forgetting the stupid little hurts of the past. I can tell you that when you have been through this kind of relationship, forged in fire, cooled by tears, it is stronger than the proverbial "soulmate", and more real and very very strong.

I want to die before he does because I too want to welcome him to Heaven. I can't even imagine a life on earth without him now.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

My wife loves these stories and says that she has to die first because should couldn't bear the loss.

She also says I only have 3 days then I have to follow her because she doesn't want to be alone, either.

Marriage is a good thing.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Maby they were so connected (quantum) that one just couldn't be without the other. Butterflies now.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It doesn't say why they were apart - I'm guessing he was in hospital or a home.

And not just apart but "a few hours away"...??

Blimey, wouldn't you want to be a bit closer to your 94-year-old husband who's in the final stages of cancer (being that she's 95 herself)?

I don't see her visiting too often (few hours there, few hours back, that's some hike!).

I hate to say it but it's probably just coincidence.

Regardless of the love they had for each other, they were in their mid 90s.

When one of them dies - even if the other partner doesn't know - the other can't be too far behind.

edit on 10.2.2014 by CJCrawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It’s tough for me to answer responses to the OP. It's just an emotional thing for me - really.

And - I’m continually reminded of the scientific fact - take one heart cell, cut it out of the heart and stick it in a petri dish. Excise a cell from another heart, place it in the same dish. Within a ‘heartbeat’ - they begin to beat, as one.

I posted in the OP - I’ve followed these stories for - ever since I’ve participated on ATS - but that means nothing more than - it breaks my heart but restores my heart at the same time.

It always brings back this song - for me...

peace

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

silo13
I've hosted (I think) 5 of these threads now on the same topic - but I'm never ever surprised - or without tears.

Can you link to them? I find such stories interesting

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

silo13
I’m continually reminded of the scientific fact - take one heart cell, cut it out of the heart and stick it in a petri dish. Excise a cell from another heart, place it in the same dish. Within a ‘heartbeat’ - they begin to beat, as one.

Makes you think doesn't it?

I love stories like this, heard about so many.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Love truly is an amazing thing, really does conquer all, even death.

My wives Grandmother just lost her Husband of 55 years to bone cancer, I have never seen her age so quickly as in the few weeks after wards.

Before people would comment how she looked far younger and healthier than her age of 83, going to line dancing, knitting, jogging in the neighborhood.

The last time I saw her, you could see the weight of every year on her, we fear it wont be much longer for her, she just looks defeated.

Love is amazing, able to make the oldest of us young, it is a tragedy to lose it, but definitely worth it.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Wow, my grandparents died 3 days apart back in 2009. They were not aware of each others death either and were married for over 50 years.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
They were very lucky. When my other half passed away I wished/hoped for my life to end every day after as being left without them hollowed out my existence/desires for the future.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Oannes
Maby they were so connected (quantum) that one just couldn't be without the other. Butterflies now.

Similar to the recent story of brothers passing away. It's a bond often, I believe one not yet understood by science but expressed in paranormal circles and sometimes just plain nature, weaned as the person matures. But not always it helps the mother/father- child bond, as we see with these stories as great example lately, siblings, couples, and close friends.
Many times I've had family members, even myself included, have a gut feeling of someone being in trouble when there were not much of indication otherwise.
edit on 11-2-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Good Post. These type of incidents are very touching, no doubt, and always touch my Heart. Thanx for the Share. Syx.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by watchesfromwall

That is a Good Movie. It is my Wife's Favorite Film. When we were gonna watch it for the First time, I thought, oh great, another chick flick. But I was Wrong. I was very moved, in the least after seeing it. I am glad I saw it. Syx.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Aww, this has to be the best way to go, with neither of them grieving the loss of the other.

I love the stories, I'm getting soppy in my old age.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join