It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Invasion Attempt Stopped By Woman With A Shotgun

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I can tell you this from personal experience. I have a friend who owns a Mac10, (or something like that) that was sold to him as a semi-automatic 9mm by a reputable gun shop, (one that I myself shop in) and the only thing he had to do was to put a penny inside, (in the right place) and the gun would empty the 30 round clip with a single pull of the trigger.

I don't believe a word you just said knowing full well how the internal components and cycling of a Mac-10 functions.

Also the Mac -10 is fed by a MAGAZINE. Not a clip.

Someone was either pulling your leg or you're lying. Secondly Mac -10 SMGs have select fire options. This would probably explain why you could fire it in both semi- and auto mode.

Lastly reputable FFLs can sell select fire weapons and machine guns provided they were manufactured before the ban in 1986, the seller has the proper licensing for it, and the buyer has to jump through all kinds of NFA hoops and pay HUGE taxes and prices.
edit on pTue, 11 Feb 2014 13:44:19 -0600201411America/Chicago2014-02-11T13:44:19-06:0028vx2 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I've fired MILLIONS of rounds out of thousands of weapons over this time.

I assume most or all of that was done in the military. Bit of a waste for one person unless it was done on D-Day.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

Firing an average of 2000 rounds per weekend for 22 years will yield roughly 2 million or so rounds in just recreational shooting.

I've been in the army just over 2 years firing an average of 10,000 rounds per month while deployed in just range shooting, and about 10000 rounds quarterly in range quals for currency back in garrison. I have not counted any of that in. And I'm being conservative with my figures.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I would think that the arguement for gun control could be better if both sides would cut out their radical elements.

I think there is a reasonable limit for what kind of weapon a person should be able to own within a "basic-liscense".. which would require some initial documentation, registration, etc.

there should be another classification above the "basic liscense", that permits ownership of weapons that exceed these specifications, but with greater oversite and documentation.. (I'm thinking this would be for people who like to shoot full-auto weapons for fun, or those who want to keep historically significant weapons that might exceed "basic" limitations) in a way this would not be an "assault weapons ban" as much as an "assault weapons tax/tracking program", which will still sound scary to the more paranoid on this site; but seems fairly reasonable to more moderate views.

What bothers me is that some on the pro-gun stance seem to think that nations with tighter gun control experience the same amount of crime, so that crime must be crime involving guns, and therefore gun control only gives guns to criminals, when that isn't the case, rather gun-deaths (both due to accidents, or genuine crimes) are lower, while criminals turn to knives and other weapons instead.(funny enough after increasing gun-control restrictions, the UK was forced to place restrictions on blade/knife purchases as gangs were stabbing each other instead of shooting one another).

I believe the majority of gun owners in america can meet the mental health, and registration requirements and will understand the desire for moderate gun-control legislation.

also; I just want to state I think that "castle doctrine" is a pretty sound idea.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I must say. This is why I'm happy to be a pure bred American.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NonsensicalUserName

There already exists a registration/licensing system for purchasing fully automatic firearms. Its not as easy as walking into a gun store and submitting to the usual 15 minute background check. Not only that, but the price of the weapons themselves can very easily run over $10,000. Then there's the ammunition. Its a rich man's game, and the odds of them ever using them to commit a crime is miniscule.

As for expanding a registration system to include all firearms, that's highly unlikely to happen anytime soon. First, gun rights supporters have always hated the idea. Agree or disagree with them, the fact is that there's widespread, longstanding belief among gun owners that registration is the first step toward confiscation. Second, there's a federal law that actually bans the creation of a national registry, as part of the 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act. Consider the implications of overturning that and how it would be perceived. And then, there's DC itself. Some of the politicians may whine and complain, but I don't think there's much political will to take on sweeping gun legislation again anytime soon. Last year's proposed 'assault weapons' ban was a political disaster for the Democrats backing it, and you're taking it a step further with registration on everything else. I just don't see that happening, and I'm virtually certain that it would not be viewed as a 'moderate' step. Not in this country.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

projectvxn

I don't believe a word you just said knowing full well how the internal components and cycling of a Mac-10 functions.

Also the Mac -10 is fed by a MAGAZINE. Not a clip.

Someone was either pulling your leg or you're lying. Secondly Mac -10 SMGs have select fire options. This would probably explain why you could fire it in both semi- and auto mode.

Lastly reputable FFLs can sell select fire weapons and machine guns provided they were manufactured before the ban in 1986, the seller has the proper licensing for it, and the buyer has to jump through all kinds of NFA hoops and pay HUGE taxes and prices.

You're absolutely correct, it was fed by a 30 round "magazine." If I said "clip," my bad. I really didn't think that wording was an issue at the time, sorry.

With respect to the gun, it did Not come with a full auto switch or option, it was a semi-auto 9mm. When I fired it without the penny inserted, it only worked as a semi-auto but when he put the penny in it, it emptied the "magazine" with a single pull of the trigger.

Whether or not you choose to believe it is totally your choice but you won't convince me that it didn't happen because I watched him insert the penny, I pulled the trigger and I held the gun as it emptied it's magazine.

I would estimate that this was somewhere around 12 to 13 yrs. ago at the most and I'd just bet he still has that gun today. If he hadn't moved back to Jersey, I'd get him over here and we'd make a video for you, but seeing how you already know everything this is to know about guns, it would probably just be a waist of our time.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Sorry buddy. But you're not talking to an amateur.

Next you'll try to convince me you can make any semi-auto, full auto by filing down the firing pin.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I had an Inter Tek .22 that needed some work...they're kinda cheapo guns. Anyway it used to like to get stuck and would shoot off bursts full auto out of no where. I eventually found it needed about 20$ in new less worn parts and a full breakdown and cleaning and it fired just fine after that. So while I do believe it's possible to block the seer from resetting it's hella dangerous when any firearm can not be controlled by the trigger (like when you let go it still dumps) and this is what it sounds like you were doing. So in all seriousness your the type of guy who gives the legit gun owners a bad name...you and your buddy. Now go think about that before you come spouting off!

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

I've had multi-burst malfunctions before. And it is usually due to a blockage not allowing a proper reset(I'll admit to occasionally not cleaning my gun between 1000 round sittings). But it was never more than 2 or three rounds. This guy is saying he and his buddy emptied entire mags like this. I find it hard to believe.

That said, a penny or other loose foreign metal object in the action of a Mac -10 would not go well considering it is a blowback operated weapon in close tolerance.

The BS meter is very high.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

you're probably right;

I guess I was thinking of moderate for most 1st-world/western/developed countries that aren't 'murika....

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

sn0rch
According to gun enthusiasts, she could have done this with a knife, or a baseball bat.

Wow seriously? I have never once heard a gun enthusiast call for self defense via knives and baseball bats.

Can someone kill someone with a knife or baseball bat? Yes. Happens every day.

Self defense on the other hand should immediately present the attacker with the threat of imminent death.

Or maybe you have no f*

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

True I'd imagine it would need to be much smaller of a harder piece of metal to not shred up and jam it to hell. and the bolt blowing back just above the seer and trigger group sure doesn't leave much room in-between for a penny not to get caught up in the moving parts and not allowing function of the gun. I would have to see it to believe it...

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Surprised she's not being tried as a criminal. Shotgun in California... Sheesh!

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by NonsensicalUserName

Good for them. That's their right and their choice to have more strict firearm regulations if they wish, just as its our right to make our own laws on the issue. Granted, I'm not sure why there's such a foreign obsession with American gun laws, but, I suppose that's their choice, too.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join