It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colo. police: Student who set himself on fire dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Well, I had missed this when it first came out. It's a disturbing story and one that is just a bit more sad, I believe, for the fact we seem to have missed it entirely?

Vincent Nett succumbed to his injuries at around 5 p.m. Sunday, Westminster Police Department police investigator Cheri Spottke said. The boy was burned over 80 percent of his body and had been in critical condition at a local hospital.

Our headlines are filled with tales of the deeds and misdeeds of the biggest narcissist I've seen in elected office in my lifetime, while we have real and meaningful crisis across our land and people. We have this happening...

Police said he did not make any threats before he lit himself ablaze. A custodian used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire before it could spread. Several other students were in the cafeteria at the time, but none were injured.
Source

It doesn't take much thought for most of us to list death by fire as one of the worst ways a human being could meet their fate. So, I ask myself...What in the hell could drive a 16yr old child to do this to themselves with no effort to cry for help and no apparent hesitation???

Buddhist Monks in Vietnam were among the first to introduce the American public to the concept of self immolation. It's a horrible thing to see, even among those like the monks, who have done this thing with stoic acceptance in a state of detachment I can never comprehend. A 16yr old kid from Colorado isn't a Buddhist Monk with religious and spiritual peace to supply detachment though. It's just a kid with too much going on, obviously...and no one around to help when help was most needed.

Perhaps focus on our nation needs to return to what matters most ...and politics isn't it. It never was and it never can be if we want a nation and not a political voting block.
edit on 10-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
As a followup item to add to this and the overall issue at hand, I came across this...

Thousands of children aged 10 and under are being treated for depression, stress and anxiety, an investigation by the Daily Mirror has revealed.

Tormented by bullies, under ­pressure to fit in and bombarded with school assessments, many youngsters today find themselves struggling to cope.

Generation Stress: Scandal of our depressed kids as thousands of under-10s are treated for mental health problems

That story is from England, as if to highlight the universal nature of the crisis among our children today. Kids under 10 being treated for serious and ongoing mental issues like that? What is wrong with our society and what have we become? It's not just a lack of kids being allowed to be kids...but now they need a shrink and therapy sessions as well? Something is seriously wrong when this becomes a norm.
edit on 10-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The normal stresses of the brain and body growing to maturity are now very horrendously added to in our societies by encouraging those brains and bodies through advertising (which creates peer pressure) to live on caffeine, sugar, junk food, and chemical grease, leaving them dehydrated, strung-out, vitamin-c deficient, with an overloaded nervous system. A toxic mix of stressful normality and exotic poisons, and once in awhile this kind of thing happens.
edit on 10-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It may be becoming more popular:

Pennsylvania State Police identified a man who died after setting himself on fire during a police chase along Interstate 81 in Dauphin County early Tuesday. Authorities say Brian White, 33, of Hummelstown, set himself ablaze inside his vehicle as he was being pursued by state troopers in the northbound lanes of I-81 in West Hanover Township. The incident began around 11:30 p.m. Monday after White’s mother contacted 911 saying her son was suicidal and just left the home. State troopers found White’s vehicle parked along the side of the road at Fishing Creek Valley Road and Route 322 in Middle Paxton around 3 a.m Tuesday. As troopers approached the vehicle– White sped off and got onto I-81, said Trooper Robert Hicks, a state police spokesman. During the chase– White was seen emptying multiple cans of gasoline inside the vehicle and tossing cigarettes out of the window, Hick said. Troopers deployed spike strips near mile marker 72 in an attempt to safely end the chase. But that didn’t slow White down. The chase continued for another few miles until flames engulfed the inside of White’s car. Troopers were unable to get to the vehicle and save White because of the intense flames, Hicks said. White was pronounced dead at the scene.

Fox43.com
This guy was 33 years old.... but what a way to off yourself.
edit on b000000282014-02-10T08:06:03-06:0008America/ChicagoMon, 10 Feb 2014 08:06:03 -0600800000014 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I'm betting it was a bully or a few and that they were the ones in the cafe. One does not simply light ones self on fire in the cafe just to ruin random people's lunches. The kid could have done it in a bathroom stall, he chose the cafe, he wanted "them" to see what can not be unseen.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Wrabbit, it was good that you brought this to our attention. These are distrubing signs of an ailing society. We must never lose our compassion for others.

When we stop caring for each other we all lose. Without an understanding heart you become a living machine and part of the problem.

Nationwide Hotline:
1-800-SUICIDE
1-800-273-TALK (8255

edit on 2/10/2014 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Truly a sad event.
The saddness and emotions go deep and very close to home with me and my family.
My eight yr. old daughter attends elementry school with the boys younger brother.
I addressed this event with my daughter the same day.
My wife gets upset when I have these kind of talks with my daughter, this was not the first.
The Jesica Ridgeway case occured nearby also.
When events occur near home , I prefer to address it before the school does.
Events like this are a sad fact of life , like it or not they need to be addressed not ignored.
God forbid any child harms themself or others or sees it occur.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
10 to 1 the kid had been mentally 'treated' and been prescribed an anti-depressant. And the drug only made it worse. Stop dosing these kids with mind-altering drugs!

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   

The healthy childhood I enjoyed as a kid,
after school football games till dark everynight.
Little league, dirtbikes, may as well have been
a reality on Mars when trying to tell kids today about it.

I know damn well I had it way better than these kids today
and I think they know it too.

I'm not saying I can ID the problem.
But I am damn sure saying there is one.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I think you remember Constantino, Wrabbit:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

He was the dude who self-immolated before the capital months back.

This is certainly becoming more commonplace at an alarming rate.

new topics

top topics

join