It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the NFL be a dont ask dont tell league What are your thoughts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

I believe that if an individual feels it necessary to tell everyone on the planet which way they swing, then that is their business. However, I am one of those traditional types in SOME respects. For instance, I do not have a problem with folk being homosexual. What I have a problem with is ANYONE, of ANY sexual persuasion, advertising their sexuality publically. Whether it is the starlet with her tongue down a football players throat in a glossy gossip magazine, or a male sportsman announcing his secret affair with a team mate, or any other such rot, I find the entire business tawdry, and despise the fact that we live in an age where all of this appears normal.

Privacy, dignity, and self respect seem to be ancient and outmoded by todays standards. In many respects the modern times in which we live are more forgiving, and that is all to the good for everyone. But in other ways I feel like I was bought up to live in a world which no longer exists.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by ed1320

Privacy, dignity, and self respect seem to be ancient and outmoded by todays standards. In many respects the modern times in which we live are more forgiving, and that is all to the good for everyone. But in other ways I feel like I was bought up to live in a world which no longer exists.

Privacy, dignity, and self-respect are all human constructs. As in they are all human defined. You don't see a dog worrying about covering their "shame" or a cow stepping behind a bush to relieve themselves. These things stem from humans' strange embarrassment of having certain parts of their body that half of the population in the world also has. None of those 3 concepts are necessary for humans, but humans cling to them like they set us apart from everything else. In fact when looking at animals as a whole, we (humans) look like the oddballs. Animals in the wild will just run up and start having sex with each other while other animals sit around indifferent to the whole experience. So the question you should be asking yourself is, why are humans so embarrassed to have a vagina and boobs or a penis and why are they so embarrassed about an act that EVERY mammal in the world partakes in to reproduce?
edit on 10-2-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I find the anti-homophobic atmosphere that has been cultivated around professional sports in general all too amusing, especially considering this all-male organization that publicly huddles (cuddles) multiple times during each game, smack one another on the ass, tightly embrace and dance after scoring, and shower naked together.

I'm honestly surprised more of them haven't come out. And if any of them "paint a target" on anyone's back for coming out then I would deem them hypocrites by simple association.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

They are human constructs. There are not many ways in which I conform to any set of norms established by mankind, but with regard to affairs of the heart, and the way I live my personal life, I prefer to be dignified in myself, and respectful toward others, rather than to advertise every single little thing about myself to all and sundry.

Sure, sometimes I talk about problems I am having in that regard, with friends, or family, or with members of my ATS family. But I never flaunt the things I cherish, I never tarnish them with vulgarity in such a way. I hate being at a bus stop, and hearing about the intimate details of random strangers sexual exploits, while they have a too loud telephone conversation, or an inexcusable face to face, blow by blow (sometimes quite literally) of what they got up to last weekend.

People have the right to be what they want to be, and I am all for that. But at the same time, I would like it if we could just have a little common decency, one of the few societal constructs which has any worth what so ever, in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The big problem with this whole "openly gay" movement is that it brings sex out of the bedroom.

I don't have a problem with what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own bedroom. I may not like it personally, but I'm not going to stop you if you two like it and are happy doing it and assume all the responsibility for anything that comes about as a result. Go have at.

But when we start going "Out and Proud" because homosexuality is all about sex and with whom you have it, it takes the sex out of the bedroom and into the public life. I don't want that. I don't want that from anyone, gay or straight. I don't care who you sleep with, but stop announcing it to me. Please! It's like running R-rated movie clips on the public sidewalk or something. Just ... no. Let's have some decorum and put the sex, all of it, back in our own homes and private lives again.

And here's why - there are just some issues that are complicated unnecessarily by the issue of sex. When you are an adolescent and already uncomfortable enough about your body and all the changes taking place, now imagine that suddenly every person in that already painful showering experience has suddenly become a potential sex partner, either because you are gay or because you know you have gay classmates. Male or female, that's uncomfortable either way.

And it doesn't necessarily get better.

There are just some instances when the issue of sex shouldn't have to be there in the back of everyone's mind because it's an unnecessary and uncomfortable distraction. A locker room is one of those places no matter what gender or orientation you are.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

That really wasn't what I was addressing from your post. I was more talking about modesty in general. Like I'm not advocating rubbing your lifestyle in other people's noses, but I question why we place such values on covering up our sexuality? Why is a performer who lets their nipple show on live television such a pariah? Everyone has a set of nipples (barring some freak accident or birth defect). We all know what they look like, so why are we so concerned with covering them up? But I guess all that is off topic. Maybe I should start a thread on it...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Wardrobe malfunctions aside, I just do not want to know what ANYONE is doing in their bedrooms, and I think it makes for a more respectful society when people understand that certain things one may know, and other things, one will either have to wonder about, or spend ones time in more productive pursuits.

Obviously, nipple slips cause media chaos, and that is ridiculous, because we know what the bits and bobs of a member of the species look like. However, in terms of detail and distributed knowledge, the only thing the people should know in detail from the media, is what their GOVERNMENT are doing behind closed doors, not what the celebrity world are doing, who they are doing, what sexuality they and their partner are, and how often they "do it".

The whole way that media deals with the issue of sex and sexuality, cheapens the act, and may be partly responsible (along with a lack of parental responsibility in some cases) for the slow moral decay of society. I am only twenty eight, but I feel like my Grandfather when I say these things, and yet I know they need saying.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I think it's fabulous, he is proud of who he is.

the same as any other athlete on social media with pictures of them at strip clubs, or with their wife etc. if he had not said anything and a picture of him and his boyfriend leaked it would be a bigger story of how he was "Hiding"

he came out, he said this is me and i'm living hunty!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

It's about sexual intent.

There's a mindset. Let me illustrate.

When I was an athlete, what normal people think of as modesty flies right out the window. Your body is a tool, not a sex object. That's why in my post above, I said there are just some places where sex doesn't belong and a locker room is one of them, so don't bring it in there.

My hips are almost double jointed so I always had a problem with the deep musculature of my hip/glute area. I couldn't get it stretched/strengthened properly and in proportion of the more shallow structures. So I was prone to very deep muscle spasms in my ass, not to put too fine a point on it. When I was a freshman and the head trainer discovered this, my butt became a teachable moment to every undertrainer and student trainer in the room because it was not a common problem. Here I am on the table with half my butt hanging out being manipulated by a more or less strange man in front of a pack of strange people with anyone and everyone walking right through the training room door ...

But your mentality is different in that situation. There isn't any sex there, so it's not strange at all.

And when you're in the locker room, no one is thinking about sex and no one really wants to think about it either. That comes later or else things risk getting weird.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The nipple slit caused chaos because it was meant to be titillating, pardon the pun. Had it not been a steamy show to begin with, there might have been less chaos. But because the whole object of the show was intended to be sexual it could be construed that they might have done it on purpose.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Darth_Prime
I think it's fabulous, he is proud of who he is.

And that is only healthy for maintaining a decent ego, which is key to good mental health going forward, and no one could argue with that!

the same as any other athlete on social media with pictures of them at strip clubs, or with their wife etc. if he had not said anything and a picture of him and his boyfriend leaked it would be a bigger story of how he was "Hiding"

he came out, he said this is me and i'm living hunty!

But is it right that a fellow stepping out with a fellow, expected or not, receives any more attention than a fellow stepping out with a lady? I simply cannot stand the way the media intrusion into the lives and affairs of the rich and famous, has muddied up the way that people in regular life go about their business.

Why would it be considered "hiding" when it is no body elses bloody business what this fellow does, and indeed to whom, except his? Why should it be anyones business what anyone is doing sexually? Why does it have to be a public issue? Would it not be better for everyone, protect the chastity and wonder of true love just a little bit, if everyones lives and preferences were NOT the subject of media intelligence gathering?
edit on 10-2-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added clarification

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Oh there's a mindset all right, but it is formed from society's values. Humans are scared of sex. We view it with some weird reverence. This view of sex originated with the RCC and their warped views on virginity and reproduction, with a little bit of misogyny thrown in for good mix back during the Middle Ages. We've carried this mindset with us since then. Whenever you see someone complaining about society's dropping morals, they are really complaining that people aren't acting Catholic enough anymore. These concepts of morality have been with us for so long that it actually appears strange (or evil) when someone doesn't follow those norms. When in reality, humans are the strange ones for feeling so ashamed of their bodies, again no other animal covers their erogenous zones, goes to the bathroom in private or has sex alone with their partner if they can help it.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Oh, and one more thing...As far as the US Equal Employment and Opportunity Commission is concerned, issues (i.e., conversations consisting of a sexual nature; implied/overt behavior consisting of sexual nature, etc.) relating to sexual orientation or gender ARE STRICTLY FORBIDDEN AND PROHIBITED!!! In other words, keep sexuality or gender issues OUT OF THE WORKPLACE!!! It seems people of the LGBT crowd cannot understand this...If this guy wants to continue to focus on his sexuality rather than his future avocation of professional football, he could very well find himself on the defendant's side of a lawsuit...I sure would sue if he ever uttered anything sexual or behaved in any sexual manner in the workplace...

But of course, this would erupt in a new firestorm...

Funny, the very same people who are making all the arguments that what occurs in a private life should remain private when it came to the sexual peccadilloes of President Clinton (who committed the sexual acts with Monica Lewinsky in the workplace), are now the very same crowd trying to bring the private sexual behavior/preferences of homosexuals to the public parade and workplace...

Any NFL GM/management who might be perusing these boards should take strong notice of this post...
edit on 10-2-2014 by totallackey because: clarity and misspelling

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

This kid was the SEC defensive player of the year. For those who don't follow NCAA Football, the SEC is arguably the top conference, where many joke that it's the NFL minor league system because so many NFL players come from that conference... Well, this kid was rated the top defensive player from that conference, which is a reason why he SHOULD be drafted in the top 2-3 rounds of this years draft. If he falls passed the 3rd round it will show just how homophobic the NFL is. I honestly hope that some General Manager steps up and drafts this courageous, deserving kid... This takes HUGE balls to do and he just did it before his big payday, which many could call stupid..
reply to post by jhn7537

Actually, this guy's stats are not as good as Manti Teo's stats. Manti Teo was a second round pick...if this guy goes higher than the fourth round, it will only be because of his coming out...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Sure but... shouldn't straight people also hide the sexual preference then? Should we ban all forms of PDA? Not live with other people so that we don't out our sexuality whether straight, bi, or gay?

Yes, when it comes to the workplace...there are laws in place dictating this very position. You are subject (in the US) to the guidelines written and enforced by the EEOC.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
In his own words.

edit on 2/10/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

boncho
I was really happy to see this. Mainly, because the sooner it becomes normal the less we have to hear about it. People bashing him or hating him isn't gonna change a damn thing.

So just suck it up, get on with football.

Other teams might have some asses trying to take cheap shots on him, which, hopefully so long as his team is supportive, it will call on his team mates to rough them up and teach them a lesson.

Then it can all go back to being about sportsmanship.

If you want to bring schoolyard arguments into professional sports, you may as well arm NBA players with glocks simply 'cause they grew up in a bad neighbourhood. Pretty ignorant stereotype that is right?

So is the other one.

I apologize to everyone else In this thread that may have said what I have to add.

It is perfectly legal for employers in MANY states to fire someone just on the basis of them being "not straight". Imagine that. Person goes into work and is called into the office and is told "you have outperformed everyone in the company, but we are letting you go." "We don't want anyone to catch the Gay."
Same goes with landlords. They can ask if someone is LGBT and say, "Sorry, NO GAYS ALLOWED"

I totally agree with Boncho. The sooner this isn't news, the better off we will all be.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
with the rookie telling the world he is a gay male

well, frankly i would be very sensitive in the dressing-room & especially the showers that this guy was scoping out my male appendage--- even IF he ain't --- A most UN-Comfortable situation

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

It is perfectly legal for employers in MANY states to fire someone just on the basis of them being "not straight".

BULL COOKIES!
EEOC

The EEOC enforces the prohibitions against employment discrimination in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Equal Pay Act of 1963, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Titles I and V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Title II of the Genetic Information Non-discrimination Act (GINA), and the Civil Rights Act of 1991. These laws prohibit discrimination based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, and genetic information, as well as reprisal for protected activity. The Commission's interpretations of these statutes apply to its adjudication and enforcement in federal sector as well as private sector and state and local government employment.

Please note the final words in the quoted external text: "...as well as private sector and state and local government employment."

Further writing from the linked source:

The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 (CSRA), as amended, also protects federal government applicants and employees from discrimination in personnel actions (see "Prohibited Personnel Practices" www.opm.gov...) based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, or on conduct which does not adversely affect the performance of the applicant or employee -- which can include sexual orientation or transgender (gender identity) status.

Imagine that.

Actually, since your first statement is patently false (due to US federal employment laws), imagination is the only thing left to support your statement.

I would imagine not one person will offer any salient argument(s) against my last few posts...might be some whining though...I think I just ended this conversation..

edit on 10-2-2014 by totallackey because: further content

edit on 10-2-2014 by totallackey because: reformatting and additional content

edit on 10-2-2014 by totallackey because: further content

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I agree it should not matter, but in the case of the NFL it's a fear people have of coming out because of what others may do/say.

it should be no different, he should be able to be public with a boy as someone should be able to be public with a girl. but you have to agree that peoples perception of Heterosexuality Versus Homosexuality is different, it's considered "Normal" for a Guy to be with a girl. it's considered "Different" for a guy to be with a guy. it's a "Scandal" if he didn't admit it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join