It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun control activist and NY SAFE Act supporter brings gun into school, causes school lockdown.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
www.inquisitr.com...

A gun control advocate and community activist has been arrested for allegedly bringing a loaded pistol onto school property.

Ferguson, the head of an anti-violence organization called MAD DADs, apparently was a strong proponent of New York’s SAFE Act, passed in the aftermath of Newtown school shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School, that among other things upgraded the offense for anyone other than a law enforcement officer who takes a gun on school property from a misdemeanor to a felony.

A hypocrite much? This guy stood with Assemblywoman Crystal Peoples-Stokes last year while they were lobbying for the NY "SAFE" act. Among the anti-gun laws passed, the NY state law was amended which increased the penalty of possessing a firearm on school property from a misdemeanor to a felony.

SWAT teams and other law enforcement agencies descended on the Harvey Austin Elementary School in Buffalo, N.Y., after an anonymous 911 call late Thursday afternoon about an unnamed man with a gun on school grounds.

Guess what this guys defense was? We all heard this before.....

"I didnt know I had that!"

According to local media, Ferguson said he often carries the gun during his business day and forgot that he had it with him at the time.

Yup...it's pretty hard to remember if you have a firearm on you.....

But wait! There's more to it. This guy told the police he didnt have a gun on him while he was questioned several times by the police!

*This part of the article links to BuffaloNews.com, which requires a subscription after visiting the site over 10 times a month. This OP article has a link to the website in the second to last paragraph. The below ex-text is from the BuffaloNews link. Not sure if it's allowed to post a straight link to a subscription website.

Dwayne Ferguson, the MAD DADS Buffalo chapter president who was arrested Thursday for having a gun inside the School 97 Harvey Austin Elementary School, allegedly denied possessing the weapon when questioned several times by police, according to a Buffalo Police Department report.

(Below comes from the OP linked article.)

Of course this guy pleads not guilty.

Ferguson has pleaded not guilty to the charges and was released on his own recognizance.

Wow. This is ridiculous. This guy is a strong advocate of increased penalties of carrying a gun on school grounds, carries a gun onto school ground, repeatedly tells police he isn't carrying a gun, police find he's carrying a gun, then says he's not guilty..... Wow.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Wow. This is ridiculous. This guy is a strong advocate of increased penalties of carrying a gun on school grounds, carries a gun onto school ground, repeatedly tells police he isn't carrying a gun, police find he's carrying a gun, then says he's not guilty..... Wow.

Allegedly. Whether you agree/disagree with his support, or the changes to the law. He still needs to be found guilty.
edit on 10-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

*Note, he claims he informed an officer he had it and had a permit (still, the law applies). Which is surprising because it's admitting guilt, and you'd think a lawyer would have advised him not to.

In any case, irony at it's best whether or not he is guilty.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

He had it on him, and it's his gun.

He has not been found guilty of a crime, but he 100% did do what he was charged with. He does not even dispute it, he says he did it by accident.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

So apparently, you can bring a gun to school, if you "forgot" it you had it? How did the school know he had it? If the school noticed, then how does he not notice it?
Maybe he didn't know he couldn't bring it to the school? Most gun control advocates seem to be pretty clueless.
Just ask Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy what a barrel shroud is..

Either way, the law is the law. You know he would be facing a felony charge if he weren't a gun control hypocrite advocate.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Tedious fool,
Breaks his own unwritten rules,
And a few which HAVE been penned,
But upon this you can depend,
He will spend not a single day in jail
Across the matter will be drawn a veil,
His attorney will surely insist,
That the prosecution cease and desist,
And the judge will have to sign an NDA,
"There's nothing to see, and I have nothing to say"

Bleh.

Bloody ridiculous. It is not whether a person has a weapon which ought to be of concern to the population, but what individuals intend to do with them.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by boncho

He had it on him, and it's his gun.

He has not been found guilty of a crime, but he 100% did do what he was charged with. He does not even dispute it, he says he did it by accident.

Yeah, I edited it after I watched his interview and he stated that he was indeed on grounds with the firearm. Terribly stupid and almost the exact thing that highlights how laws affect people who are not specifically targeted. And hilariously ironic that he supported the bill.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have thought about this case.

'Duh!' was what originally came to mind.

I have always thought that gun-grabbers were a bit short on the needed requirements to think something through to the end.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

What???? An Anti-Gun rights person pushed in life by moronic Anti-Gun thoughts is a hypocrite and a moron.

Not surprised. Not one bit.

edit on 10-2-2014 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

If this guy had the actual courage to stand behind his convictions he would have immediately was guilty and held a press conference explaining that because he lobbied so hard for expanding the penalty for exactly what he did he would serve as a role model and accept his punishment. This man has neither courage nor conviction and will tuck his tail between his legs and fight tooth and nail against his own Frankenstein monster. Hypocrite is far too benign an adjective for this man. As if I wasnt disgusted enough with NY state he will probably get off with a fine and a reduction to disorderly conduct. What a farce because if it was you or I we sure wouldn't have been released ROR and bail wouldve been through the roof. I'm going to clean out my car and make sure I'm not packing before I get th kids from school.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Im all for guns, but theres a time and a place for them, eg. Hunting or protection in extreme cases, not a school. Bloody idiot.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
After reading through a few more articles on this another thought occurred to me, this guy should in addition to the 2 felony charges, should also be personally liable for the massive waste of police manpower involved in locking down this school. it wasn't just a few cops, it was several different departments a SWAT team, a K9 unit as well as a helicopter and took nearly 3 hours before they found the gun on him.

The one suspicious thing I read though was the anonymous tip to the school about an armed man entering the building. If the gun was so conspicuous a passerby could see it how was it not noticed by all the police on site or anyone working at the school? Or since we are deep in conspiracy land on ATS, was it perhaps common for him to not give a crap about the law and carry everywhere he went and someone who knew this decided to call it in when they knew he was entering the premises with the desired effect being achieved, i.e. him being found with the weapon and arrested resulting in, if nothing else, his national embarrassment if not a felony conviction? food for thought folks. just thought that one detail stuck out at me.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
He is entitled to be exempt from normal laws after all HE is a liberal.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Forrest says it all for me

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Hi buni,

Just as a general observation. Just about any civil rights or advocates group does not practice what they preach. This is a good reason why I never became a political activist. While the people that get lured into these organizations usually because of a tragedy never get out. It's like the mob for sad people. Anyways not only do they not practice what they preach but they also often times become the hellbent individuals that they originally were trying to defend against.

Food for thought and great pot by the way.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
You know, this guy must be related to this idiot cop:

new topics

top topics

join