It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish zoo kills 18 month old giraffe in front of public: feeds body to lions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Well said. I think your post sums it up very well, i agree with every word.

edit on 10-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I live in Denmark myself and your american media got the wrong idea here. Like always.

First of all the giraffe was ordered to be put down by the court of EU. As in the European Union. There was nothing the Zoo nor the danish people or courts could do about it.

Second of all, the giraffe was inbred, it was not healthy by the standards of EU or anyone else for that matter. It could not be allowed to breed. And as such it was much more usefull as food.

As for the butchering and feeding it to the lions infront of the public. No one was forced to look at this. The people who went did so willingly, the Zoo had explained the ordeal in good time for people to either come if they were interrested, or stay away if they were not. It wasnt a terrifying scenario. It was a learning experience, yes even for the kids present. We are not as a squimish in Denmark as many others are. We are taught to understand the natural order of things, and how the world works without Disney magic and fantasy effing with our minds.

There are more than 6 million of us here in Denmark. We all knew about this from our media. Why do you think the petition only got 20.000 signatures? We understand that this needed to be done.

Also, a lions gotta eat. Giraffe, cow, horse, its all meat.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Of course zoos were to make money but on the plus side it makes people think about wildlife. However keep in mind zoos have changed as well they try to emulate there natural surroundings used to be bars in the middle of a cement slab. So zoos have changed there focus and do alot to conserve wild life. In fact a couple of more decades and i have a feeling on certain species they will only exist in zoos. There other goal make young people care about nature yeah they try to make money but in truth they rely more heavily on donations. And to get donations you have to do things people care about like saving wildlife.
edit on 2/10/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

dragonridr
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Im sure kids know lions arent vegetarians and giraffes are one of their natural prey. They have to kill animals to feed lions why is this giraffe so special? is it because they used a bolt gun instead of a real gun? As far as i knew most zoos try to keep the animals diet as close as possible to the wild so instead of importing meat sounds to me they just saved money.

Lions don't eat giraffes. Giraffes are too big. They will rarely eat a baby giraffe if an entire pack takes it down.

More issues stemming from this stellar zoo, now people will get bad education and believe that lions eat giraffes.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

pheonix358
They had a spare animal, they used it as a food source.

It wasn't a 'spare'. Other zoos wanted it for their breeding programs. They were turned down.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Wrong.

Semi graphic.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The lions sure ate the meat and seemed happy about it. So it would seem that lions do eat giraffes.

Also:

www.whateats.com...

www.youtube.com...

answers.yahoo.com...

Really, get your facts straight before you spout out your own made up ones. One quick google search and I found several videos of adult giraffes being taken down by lions.
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

This is insane.

1: killing a perfectly healthy giraffe.

2: feeding it to the lions, as if zoos can't buy food for lions (usually they feed lions rodents, like rabbits).

3: putting all this horror, the feeding and the blood, in front the children, in some psychopathic attempt to force "might makes right" imageries into the young, impressionable minds.

(roll eyes)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Mianeye

I have known a few people that worked in zoos - there are many things that go on in a zoo that the general public really doesn't want to know

like what?

Zoos were never about conservation until fairly recently - and even now, not as much as you would think. Zoos are entertainment -

That depends on the zoo and its accreditation. I also know people who worked for zoos, and theirs was very much about conservation.

you get more education from a film about wildlife than you ever get from watching a giraffe in a pen munching hay from a bucket

You can't see a giraffe up close from a film. You wouldn't know that a giraffe has a blue tongue from a film.

I once saw a wolf all alone in a bare cage pulling out it's own fur because - it was all alone in a bare cage. Day in - day out

It is called mange and the wolfe was isolated so the others didn't get it.

Apparently your "friends" didn't teach you enough.

Zoos try harder these days - but they're all mostly strapped for money and even with money it's difficult to provide the kind of environment that makes for a balanced, healthy life.

Bingo. But when they do have the money, they can build some pretty incredible exhibits. Which is why education and compassion for these animals are needed, so people want to donate the money.

In nature there are dangers - but there are also challenges and freedoms - and activities. A life with shelter food and water seems like a cushy happy life I guess to most humans, but it's really not much of a life at all for an animal

Again, people think that animals know what the wild is and want to be there. These animals are bred in captivity. They don't yearn for something that they don't know about. You are anthromorphizing.

I think people are finally getting to the point where things like circuses and zoos are seen as things of the past - there are better ways to learn about nature - and more humane ways to boot
edit on 2/10/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

Good thing it is just an opinion. Most likely zoos will get more scarce but bigger attractions like the exhibit in Orlando. And it will be big attractions for those cities fortunate enough to have one.
edit on 10-2-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

There other goal make young people care about nature yeah they try to make money but in truth they rely more heavily on donations. And to get donations you have to do things people care about like saving wildlife.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe that you need a zoo to keep kids interested in nature

Kids aren't stupid - just as you and I weren't stupid when we were kids. They're very capable of understanding what true conservation means

Having a zoo that relies on donations is a never ending loop of perpetual failure - you have animals you now need to maintain - just so you can raise the money you need to maintain the animals. As I mentioned - while zoos do try harder these days - the things they have to do to improve zoos and the quality of those animals lives - costs more money

I know someone who runs a facility for raptors that can't survive in the wild - birds that have been imprinted, injured or had some kind of disease. The birds are used for educational purposes in order to drum up donations - they wouldn't survive otherwise. As it is - they barely survive now, and with the current problems with the economy it's been touch and go. He almost had to put all the birds down a year ago - was saved just in the nick of time

This is a small facility. Much larger zoos are having similar financial difficulties these days - and in fact - they've always struggled . While keeping a tiger seems like a good idea - considering what's happening to tigers in the wild - the quality of life of that individual tiger becomes less important than the idea of preserving tigers - if you see what I mean

Giraffes are not considered endangered in the wild. At least - not any more at risk than all wildlife everywhere these days - but that's another topic entirely. There's no real reason for us to keep giraffes in a zoo other that to charge admission for people to come see them - and then you're stuck. You have to make more money to keep the animal - just so you can get people to come and see it...

Let them live where they live. Teach children - through the miracle of film - about animals in their natural environment. Let the money go towards preserving our wildlife in their natural environment

I promise you - kids get this

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

swanne

This is insane.

1: killing a perfectly healthy giraffe.

2: feeding it to the lions, as if zoos can't buy food for lions (usually they feed lions rodents, like rabbits).

3: putting all this horror, the feeding and the blood, in front the children, in some psychopathic attempt to force "might makes right" imageries into the young, impressionable minds.

(roll eyes)

1. It was not perfectly healthy, it was inbred, and within a few years it would probably have been effed up crazy.

2. Actually the lions here are fed a variaty of things. Not rodents. But cow, gazelle, goat lots of stuff.

3. The whole "butchering" of the giraffe was planned long ahead and in good time for people who were interrested in it to come and watch. And for the people who was not interrested to stay away.
Let me copy from my previous post on this: We are not as squimish here in Denmark as other places. The people present even the kids, saw this as a learning experience. The guys in charge were excellent at telling all the people about the ins and outs of the whole thing. It was very interresting. No kids were crying or horrified. We do not live in a disney world here. We are taught from a very young age what the real world is.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

nixie_nox

dragonridr

Im sure kids know lions arent vegetarians and giraffes are one of their natural prey. They have to kill animals to feed lions why is this giraffe so special? is it because they used a bolt gun instead of a real gun? As far as i knew most zoos try to keep the animals diet as close as possible to the wild so instead of importing meat sounds to me they just saved money.

Lions don't eat giraffes. Giraffes are too big. They will rarely eat a baby giraffe if an entire pack takes it down.

More issues stemming from this stellar zoo, now people will get bad education and believe that lions eat giraffes.

You need to watch more nature shows because whoever told you that is wrong. Lions regularly hunt and kill giraffe. Idont know what you mean exactly by too big? A female lion can easily take down a giraffe lions kill their prey by them bleeding out through the neck. And giraffes are vulnerable to neck wounds to say the least. The only think is an individual lion will usually not take down a giraffe not because they cant its because the energy they have to expend to do so.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

It is called mange and the wolfe was isolated so the others didn't get it. Apparently your "friends" didn't teach you enough.

It's called stress - from living in a bare cage with nothing to do

I saw it with my own eyes - it was not mange

If it's more important for you to be right, and if you actually need to resort to snide and insulting behavior - then this isn't a genuine discussion - is it?

That's about enough of that

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

needlenight
I live in Denmark myself and your american media got the wrong idea here. Like always.

Other than it being court ordered, a healthy animal was put down and made to be a public spectacle.

First of all the giraffe was ordered to be put down by the court of EU. As in the European Union. There was nothing the Zoo nor the danish people or courts could do about it.

Why were animals allowed to inbreed to begin with?? The zoo has full responsibility of that. They also didn't need to turn it into a public spectacle.

[Second of all, the giraffe was inbred, it was not healthy by the standards of EU or anyone else for that matter. It could not be allowed to breed. And as such it was much more usefull as food.

He was perfectly healthy. If you castrated him, he wouldn't' of been allowed to breed and you wouldn't have the world uproar right now. A little snip with the scissors and the problem was solved.

As for the butchering and feeding it to the lions infront of the public. No one was forced to look at this.

This is a lame excuse.

Of course people are going to look. It is human nature, like rubbernecking car accidents. So highways have to put up barriers so people can't see other lanes.
The fact that you are putting on a show that is attracting every nut job across the city is disturbing in itself. Of course no one was forced to watch, but human nature makes them want to watch, whether they want too or not.

The people who went did so willingly, the Zoo had explained the ordeal in good time for people to either come if they were interrested, or stay away if they were not. It wasnt a terrifying scenario. It was a learning experience, yes even for the kids present.

What are they learning, exactly? Other than putting on a horror show, I am sure the director figured out that this would bring in patronage by the droves, and bring a lot of money with it.

We are not as a squimish in Denmark as many others are. We are taught to understand the natural order of things,

Only lesson here is the complete irresponsibility of animal keepers, letting animals inbreed. There is nothing natural about animals that are kept in an enclosure, forced to breed with each other and people allowing them too, and then killing an animal with a bolt to the head.

If that is the natural order in Denmark, all the reason not to visit.

and how the world works without Disney magic and fantasy effing with our minds.

If public slaughtering of protected species doesn't bother you, you need more Disney.

There are more than 6 million of us here in Denmark. We all knew about this from our media. Why do you think the petition only got 20.000 signatures? We understand that this needed to be done.

A completely apathetic society. Duly noted.

Also, a lions gotta eat. Giraffe, cow, horse, its all meat.

cow and horse are not protected species.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Spiramirabilis

It is called mange and the wolfe was isolated so the others didn't get it. Apparently your "friends" didn't teach you enough.

It's called stress - from living in a bare cage with nothing to do

I saw it with my own eyes - it was not mange

If it's more important for you to be right, and if you actually need to resort to snide and insulting behavior - then this isn't a genuine discussion - is it?

That's about enough of that

Oh, I didn't realize you were an exotic animal veterinarian that can tell from a distance what is wrong.

If you were so concerned about that animal, did you report it?
edit on 10-2-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

They were turned down because the giraffe was inbred and had a number of defects in its genes. And by European Law an inbred animal is not allowed to be sold, traded or even given away.
He had started showing signs of these defects having a negative effect, so in order to spare the animal from future pains and general crazyness. They put him down. Simple as that.

My sources? Danish media, which I trust a whole lot more than american mass media. You are all constantly distrustful of american mass media when it comes to politics and anything else for that matter. But now that its about an animal, your all gulping it down as if you cant have enough?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Mianeye
Wrong.

Reading comprehension not your thing?

They will rarely eat a baby giraffe if an entire pack takes it down.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

needlenight

The lions sure ate the meat and seemed happy about it. So it would seem that lions do eat giraffes.

Also:

www.whateats.com...

www.youtube.com...

answers.yahoo.com...

Really, get your facts straight before you spout out your own made up ones. One quick google search and I found several videos of adult giraffes being taken down by lions.
edit on RAmerica/ChicagoV by needlenight because: (no reason given)

Funny that you didn't read the description to your own youtube post:

Lions are Africa's top predators, throughout the past 70 years scientists and wildlife film makers have been trying relentlessly to film a lion making a Giraffe kill, but to no avail. But not so long ago

Which means it doesn't happen very often and is not a regular part of their diet.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Fine fine, you win and I get peace.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

nixie_nox

Mianeye
Wrong.

Reading comprehension not your thing?

They will rarely eat a baby giraffe if an entire pack takes it down.

Lions don't eat giraffes. Giraffes are too big.

Stop..Just stop

No wait, actually i give up and let you win and i will get peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join