It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danish zoo kills 18 month old giraffe in front of public: feeds body to lions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Thecakeisalie

The blobfish is not endangered.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
This is seriously probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen, ever. And that's saying a lot, because I've seen some incredibly stupid stuff in my time.

Hoping for some internet vengeance against the zoo tbf.
edit on 10/2/14 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Hoping for some internet vengeance against the zoo tbf.

If there is any internet vengeance needed it should be aimed at this ...
Factory Farming

This is what happens when people don't know or care where their meat comes from as long as it's cheap , one giraffe humanely put down in a zoo is nothing compared to the millions of factory farmed animals that have never even seen the light of day.

It's a growing problem and an inconvenient truth

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

.... In other news onlookers were heard mumbling "damn cell phone died, now I can't get a pic :-( "

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

If there is any internet vengeance needed it should be aimed at this ...
Factory Farming

This is what happens when people don't know or care where their meat comes from as long as it's cheap , one giraffe humanely put down in a zoo is nothing compared to the millions of factory farmed animals that have never even seen the light of day.

It's a growing problem and an inconvenient truth

I understand the zoos thinking - I think they could have handled the whole thing better. A lot better. The Yorkshire Wildlife Park was able and willing to take him - and it's not like the world's giraffe population is depending on zoos to keep it going - it's just the world zoo giraffe population they're worried about

So, we're left with: how do we feel about zoos?

The carnivores at the zoo eat meat - and that comes from somewhere. If we love carnivores - we have to get used to the idea that something has to die in order for them to survive

The whole thing is a complicated balance of views about keeping wild animals, maintaining a healthy population, killing and meat. People see what they want to see based on how it will make them feel. How is this giraffe more special than a cow - besides being more exotic?

This was the long way around to me agreeing with you - completely

This giraffe wasn't tortured - and he was put down humanely - however else we feel about it. People will be outraged by this story, then sit down at their dinner table tonight and eat something that never knew a moment of comfort the entire time it was alive

edit on 2/10/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
You can't let zoo animals into the wild. At best, they go to a refuge. Animals in zoos these days are not captured, they are bred, they have no clue how to survive in the wild.
edit on 10-2-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I have read a few articles on this and apparently this director is called a blood thirsty psychopath, and I agree with them.

This kind of behavior is just unimaginable.

Zoos are about educating people about animals and conservation. You don't devalue life by slaughtering an unhealthy animal in front of people.

I don't buy the genetic imperfections crap. They knew the genetics of the parents. So why did they even breed them?

Hence the reason I agree that the director is a psychopath.

In the US, if there is an accidental pregnancy or if it is undesireable, they abort it. There is no reason to breed animals and then destroy them.

None of this makes sense whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

pheonix358
If it was not the Giraffe, what animal would have had a bolt through its head to feed the lions?

Is a giraffe worth more than a cow or a sheep. The lions do have to eat.

How about we have a day of mourning for all the other animals that are used to feed the lions and tigers.

Should we get upset over all of Mickey Mouse's cousins that die each day to feed the snakes and lizards.

They had a spare animal, they used it as a food source.

P

Shep and cattle are not endangered species. We are talking about an animal that needs conservation, not a mass produced animal that is artificially created to be a meat food.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
this was unnecessary and mishandled. bad karma.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

nixie_nox

pheonix358
If it was not the Giraffe, what animal would have had a bolt through its head to feed the lions?

How about we have a day of mourning for all the other animals that are used to feed the lions and tigers.

Should we get upset over all of Mickey Mouse's cousins that die each day to feed the snakes and lizards.

P

Shep and cattle are not endangered species. We are talking abouti an animal that needs conservation, not a mass produced animal that is artificially created to be a meat food.
Nor is a Giraffe breed in captivity, the ones we should take care of is the ones in the wild.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Mianeye

nixie_nox

pheonix358

P

Shep and cattle are not endangered species. We are talking abouti an animal that needs conservation, not a mass produced animal that is artificially created to be a meat food.
Nor is a Giraffe breed in captivity, the ones we should take care of is the ones in the wild.

But we can't because most of their ecosystem has been destroyed. That is where zoos provide conservation, they maintain the species that can possibly go extinct. Or animals that you may not get close too, such as grizzly bears.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

nixie_nox

Mianeye

nixie_nox

pheonix358

P

But we can't because most of their ecosystem has been destroyed. That is where zoos provide conservation, they maintain the species that can possibly go extinct. Or animals that you may not get close too, such as grizzly bears.

No, Zoo's don't release thier animals in to the wild, unless it's a specific program to do so, and in this case it was a problem with inbreeding which could put the future of these captivated animals in danger, so they did the right thing to put it down, and not selling it (which they can't Btw) to someone who isn't part of the breeding program.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I get that animals die in the wild, its a cycle, but if man is going to take it upon himself to remove these creatures from their habitats, then we are responsible for caring for them. This was an evil act carried out by that zoo, and Im disgusted at those that stood around to watch.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Mianeye

nixie_nox

Mianeye

nixie_nox

pheonix358

P

No, Zoo's don't release thier animals in to the wild, unless it's a specific program to do so, and in this case it was a problem with inbreeding which could put the future of these captivated animals in danger, so they did the right thing to put it down, and not selling it (which they can't Btw) to someone who isn't part of the breeding program.

Zoos are for conservation and education. by publicly destroying animals, you are educating people to devalue life. How are they supposed to care about the plight of giraffe in the wild if this director so wontanely destroys a giraffe in captivity?
There is no reason for this, none. Zip. He is nothing but a psychopath.
The genes of the parents were known already, so why were they allowed to breed in the first place?
If it was acciedental, why wasn't it aborted?
Other zoos and refuges offered a lot of money to take this giraffe, but they were refused.
If the giraffe shouldn't of been bred, then it could of been castrated. Simple as that.
There is no excuse for this blood bath. None

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BELIEVERpriest

We don't live in a Disney world where everything has a happy ending.

Get over it.

edit on 10-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Mianeye

Get over it.

By that logic, we will say the same about you when you go.

If you are not trolling, why are you even on this thread?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

nixie_nox

Mianeye

Get over it.

By that logic, we will say the same about you when you go.

If you are not trolling, why are you even on this thread?

Go look in the original thread, where i have posted my opinion ( link in the bottom of first page in this thread )

Btw i live in Denmark, and the story here is way different from the storys in the MSM covered here, so non of you actually get the right picture of what really was going on.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Im sure kids know lions arent vegetarians and giraffes are one of their natural prey. They have to kill animals to feed lions why is this giraffe so special? is it because they used a bolt gun instead of a real gun? As far as i knew most zoos try to keep the animals diet as close as possible to the wild so instead of importing meat sounds to me they just saved money.
edit on 2/10/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   

dragonridr

Im sure kids know lions arent vegetarians and giraffes are one of their natural prey. They have to kill animals to feed lions why is this giraffe so special? is it because they used a bolt gun instead of a real gun? As far as i knew most zoos try to keep the animals diet as close as possible to the wild so instead of importing meat sounds to me they just saved money.
edit on 2/10/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)
It was actually shot with a Winchester riffel, not that it matters much.
It dosn't say so in any of the articles outside Denmark.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I read your post in the other thread - and starred it

I have known a few people that worked in zoos - there are many things that go on in a zoo that the general public really doesn't want to know

Zoos were never about conservation until fairly recently - and even now, not as much as you would think. Zoos are entertainment - you get more education from a film about wildlife than you ever get from watching a giraffe in a pen munching hay from a bucket

I love going to the zoo when it comes to just being able to see certain animals up close. But the truth is - knowing what I know and seeing what I've seen - I'd just as soon we didn't have them at all. I once saw a wolf all alone in a bare cage pulling out it's own fur because - it was all alone in a bare cage. Day in - day out

Zoos try harder these days - but they're all mostly strapped for money and even with money it's difficult to provide the kind of environment that makes for a balanced, healthy life. In nature there are dangers - but there are also challenges and freedoms - and activities. A life with shelter food and water seems like a cushy happy life I guess to most humans, but it's really not much of a life at all for an animal

Life isn't about happy Disney endings - I agree. I think people are finally getting to the point where things like circuses and zoos are seen as things of the past - there are better ways to learn about nature - and more humane ways to boot
edit on 2/10/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join