It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis finally found?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Been studying Atlantis for twenty years...still hasn't bothered to read the original source material or he would know that Atlantis is a metaphor and was never intended to be understood as an actual place. Me thinks your study techniques need some work, amigo. ;-)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

"Axial tilts/pole shifts are one thing. Atlantis is another. It always irritates me when people start talking about how advanced Atlantis was based on 0% of evidence."

I cant see why its so hard to entertain the notion that an advanced antediluvian culture could have existed when ooparts such as the Piri Reis map or Antikythera mechanism pretty much suggest just that.

en.wikipedia.org... Piri Reis map

en.wikipedia.org... Antikythera mechanism

One could quite possibly conclude both of the above constitute a form of evidence. They at least suggest an understanding of cartography, astronomy and advanced construction techniques!

edit on 10-2-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

I think you misunderstand me. I was talking about those people who credit Atlantis with laser beams, time travel and aliens, based on no evidence at all. I don't doubt that our ancestors were more advanced than we think - and your link to the Antikythera Mechanism is a great example!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Technology is not quite as black and white as we imagine, we think of our modern day culture as advanced because we have rediscovered the art of genetic engineering, the ability to split the atom, computers or powered flight and such.

Ancient cultures could also have had access to these type of abilities and may even have surpassed them in ways we cannot even begin to imagine given our recorded history is only around +/- 6000 years. We are nothing more than presumptuous infants in the grand scheme of time that humanity has been around.

Something we should all remember is that to an inferior culture any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic, Arthur C. Clarke!

Can you imagine for instance what the indigenous populations of the Americas thought when the Spanish turned up in what to them must have appeared to be massive wooden creatures with the ability to spit explosive power from a distance. That would be like big motherships appearing above our skies and firing particle beams at us in this day of age.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I can do no more than offer moral support.

Atlantis has forever interested me... so go for it!

SOMEONE HELP THE OP

But seriously (because sometimes i can do serious) i'd love to see more of your research/proof.

If you've posted already - excuse me. I've only read the first 2 pages of the post! (ish)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

jaffo
Been studying Atlantis for twenty years...still hasn't bothered to read the original source material or he would know that Atlantis is a metaphor and was never intended to be understood as an actual place. Me thinks your study techniques need some work, amigo. ;-)

Me also thinks you should know that saying something as final as "Atlantis is a metaphor" without it being proven to be such is naive at best.

Yes, it's a solid idea that it was a metaphor, and don't get me wrong i'm not saying it aint... but neither have been proven. And quite frankly, i'm sorry to say, neither probably ever will.

and... cry.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Plato indicates pretty specifically where Atlantis was, and it wasn't the Caribbean. If you're going to believe in Atlantis at all, why not just believe the only written source?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

MrConspiracy

jaffo

Me also thinks you should know that saying something as final as "Atlantis is a metaphor" without it being proven to be such is naive at best.

Yes, it's a solid idea that it was a metaphor, and don't get me wrong i'm not saying it aint... but neither have been proven. And quite frankly, i'm sorry to say, neither probably ever will.

and... cry.

Lol, it's all good. Thanks for taking the shot in stride. Carry on, please. Even though I dump on almost everythign posted here, I still like to check it out and see what people can present.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Stari

But it will take finding Poseidon's temple, without it no one not even I would believe it was Atlantis.

It'd take more than that.

You've have to show it was a bronze civilisation that invaded the Mediterranean thousands of years before the Brone age, defeated Egypt thousands of years before Egypt existed and was then defeated by Athens back when Athens consisted of two goats living in a cave.

Otherwise, it cannot be Atlantis. Period.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I believe they've found a huge pyramid off the coast of Portugal.... my money is on European side of the mid-atlantic ridge and its now mainly destroyed and buried beneath the sea and the US side of the mid-atlantic ridge... Subduction... anything found today will merely be small outpost or towns. The pyramid if it is a actual pyramid may turn out to be a religious site or as some believe a site of geomagnetic importance.... but who knows
I'm merely theorizing

edit on 10-2-2014 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

andy06shake

"Axial tilts/pole shifts are one thing. Atlantis is another. It always irritates me when people start talking about how advanced Atlantis was based on 0% of evidence."

I cant see why its so hard to entertain the notion that an advanced antediluvian culture could have existed when ooparts such as the Piri Reis map or Antikythera mechanism pretty much suggest just that.

en.wikipedia.org... Piri Reis map

en.wikipedia.org... Antikythera mechanism

One could quite possibly conclude both of the above constitute a form of evidence. They at least suggest an understanding of cartography, astronomy and advanced construction techniques!

I had never heard of the Antikythera Mechanism, so first off, thanks for that andy06shake!
According to Wiki, it ooks like they're planning on doing another dive to do a more thorough excavation of the site this year too!

The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in the United States received permission from the Greek Government in 2012 to conduct new dives around the deep shoals of Antikythera. Brendan Foley of the institute will be conducting a new survey of the debris field along with Theotokis Theodoulou of the Greek Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities. The researchers are hoping to find other small pieces of the Antikythera mechanism on the sea floor. Additionally they hope to locate and survey the wrecks of other ships that foundered on the island's shoals.[86] In September 2013, the divers located artefacts that spread across the rocky sea floor on a steep slope between 35-60m deep, 200m away from the site excavated by J.Y.Cousteau. [87] The latest expedition objectives were to survey the entire underwater Antikythera coastline to 40m, relocate the shipwreck site and conduct a full underwater archaeology project that would begin in 2014.

Source

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wow, I have been very busy since I posted this with a family emergency, and still am but I wanted to get back to this thread. I have read Plato several times. My proof is for anyone who has been keeping up with the archaeology findings around the Caribbean Sea. I am going to eventually be able to get to writing every single one of the findings that I do know about on this thread. It was poor timing for me to start this thread and then this emergency.

You know I would like to say something a little off topic but not so much off topic. I read a few of the posts that have been posted since my last post and you guys are being very mean. I am not an Amigo I am a human being trying to find the currently earliest unknown civilization. No it was probably not called Atlantis. This is the name that Plato gave it. Or maybe it was called Atlantis. No one knows. But with pyramids all around the world there had to be one source that these stunning buildings came from. Call it what you will. I will call it Atlantis until it is finally found and then change my name of it if proof shows different.

Meanwhile you can www.freerepublic.com... read this about a find around Cuba. And this is just one find that I know of. I have more and I will get around to it as soon as I can. Until I can will everyone please stop calling me names. I am Stari and a long time member of this forum. I don't appreciate it. If I am wrong then please tell me and explain why. I am human and I never claim to be perfect.

Thank you
Stari

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have studied Atlantis for a while myself, and I am convinced I know where it lies, and it is not in the Caribbean. While the most likely explanation, out of places having already been discovered, is the island of Santerini where the Minoans once lived, I believe a better fit is on the Southern coast of Spain. Atlantis is buried in the mud off of today's shoreline. In fact, a team agreed with my idea, and I saw the program they did on television, and they found an artifact simply lying on the surface of the mud. Nobody has really gone there since it was covered up.

Plus, there are other pieces of evidence that suggest this is the actual location, IF the place existed at all. But, unlike what some of those who are "out there" believe, Atlantis was NOT some city with power crystals or advanced technology. They might have been slightly advanced for their time when it came to tech and government and social order, but it was not something we would look at and think it was ever beyond the capability of ancient humans.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Hi jiggy,
Finally at least someone , acknowledges the minoans. The problem with a southern Iberian location for "Atlantis" is that any large urban complex in southern Iberia would be Minoan. The archeology of th Iberian peninsula clearly shows the Minoan "invasion" as the minoans cut out the Iberian middle men of the tin trade, from there they went on to secure the trade routes to British tin, and went on up to scandanavia to establish trade outposts, where th was traded for amber, lumber and various other northern commodities.
It appears as though th Scandinavian warrior class adopted certain elements of Minoan culture, such as a clean shaven face, razors show up in the record at the same time as Mediterranean trade outposts in scandanavia.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Ok, this is the information that I have gathered that has helped me prove and or show people that this is the correct area for the lost civilization that everyone is looking for.

To begin your journey to find Atlantis you must first read it. It is free online located here:
Timaeus
classics.mit.edu...

Critias
classics.mit.edu...

higherperspective.com... Giant Pyramids and Sphinxes Found in The Bermuda Triangle.
apmagazine.info... Search For Atlantis Project: 2012 by: Dr. Greg Little
www.nwidi.org... 12,000-Year-Old Structures Found Near Bimini

I am a little embarrassed about my last post when in one of the posts I read someone called me an Amigo, I was told tonight that in Spanish that means a friend. I am truly sorry for that. I have had a long week and I am very tired and need to get to bed so I can finish this week and hopefully have a better weekend. I will also when I get a few minutes go thru all of my older papers and try to verify them online and make another post full of more links.

I am trying to show that through out many years underwater archaeology have found many structures in that vicinity. Along with this Plato wrote that Poseidon had 5 sets of twin boys. Atlas was the first born and stayed to rule Atlantis after Poseidon, Poseidon ordered his other sons to go out and claim their land. I believe that is where all of the other pyramids come from in Mexico and South America. I just wish stone could be dated. We might get a better picture of our ancient history.

I also believe that the Minoans and all of the archaeological finds on that side of the Atlantic was the people that Plato said the Atlanteans were fighting with trying to gain more land.

Ok, good night for tonight. I apologize again and will be back on with more information this weekend.

Stari
edit on 11-2-2014 by Stari because: To add more information

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Stari

Having read all texts by Plato related to Atlantis I have for you the same question -

Now, can you show using Google earth or any other software or images of the same area, the above mentioned geographical or man made features described in Critias?

All you have for your Google earth claim is a something in a square shape.
Does a square shape make Atlantis???

What about the following descriptions from Critias????

"And beginning from the sea
they bored a canal of three hundred feet in width and one hundred feet
in depth and fifty stadia in length, which they carried through to the
outermost zone, making a passage from the sea up to this, which became
a harbour, and leaving an opening sufficient to enable the largest
vessels to find ingress. Moreover, they divided at the bridges the
zones of land which parted the zones of sea, leaving room for a single
trireme to pass out of one zone into another, and they covered over
the channels so as to leave a way underneath for the ships; for the
banks were raised considerably above the water. Now the largest of the
zones into which a passage was cut from the sea was three stadia in
breadth, and the zone of land which came next of equal breadth; but
the next two zones, the one of water, the other of land, were two
stadia, and the one which surrounded the central island was a
stadium only in width. The island in which the palace was situated had
a diameter of five stadia. All this including the zones and the
bridge, which was the sixth part of a stadium in width, they
surrounded by a stone wall on every side, placing towers and gates
on the bridges where the sea passed in. The stone which was used in
the work they quarried from underneath the centre island, and from
underneath the zones, on the outer as well as the inner side. One kind
was white, another black, and a third red, and as they quarried,
they at the same time hollowed out double docks, having roofs formed
out of the native rock. Some of their buildings were simple, but in
others they put together different stones, varying the colour to
please the eye, and to be a natural source of delight."

Can you locate anything even remotely similar to the description in the very area of your square atlantis???

Rocks can of course be dated - not by C14, but by Thermoluminesence & many other dating processes other than C14.

www.sourcinginnovation.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Here is a link to (in my opinion) a good overall Atlantis website:

www.atlantisquest.com...

From their website . . .

There is little attempt to pursue every myth and legend (worldwide) which might relate to the lost civilization: other web sites do an excellent job of that. I have centered my efforts on presenting scientific facts from reputable sources in order to illustrate that Plato's story can be taken seriously by professionals. Scientific sources are provided throughout so that the reader may check on "controversial" material. Great care has been taken throughout to insure that all information here presented is accurate.

This is another website with an interesting theory, one I don't think I really believe, but cool to read about.

www.atlantisbolivia.org...

Here is their idea about the lost continent . . .

The lost continent of Atlantis is still there opposite the Pillars of Hercules (Strait of Gibraltar) only now it has been re-named South America. The key to the mystery of Atlantis is that Plato is describing both a large continent and a small volcanic island of the same name. Plato tells us that the continent had a large, level rectangular plain at its centre and that in the centre of the plain was the small volcanic island which later became the city of Atlantis.

edit on 12-2-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last qoutes

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Stari

I have done a few treasure hunt dives and know a thing or two about it. If you want to start a kickstarter JV i can help and seek other means to get sponsors on board.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

MichiganSwampBuck
Here is a link to (in my opinion) a good overall Atlantis website:

www.atlantisquest.com...

From their website . . .

There is little attempt to pursue every myth and legend (worldwide) which might relate to the lost civilization: other web sites do an excellent job of that. I have centered my efforts on presenting scientific facts from reputable sources in order to illustrate that Plato's story can be taken seriously by professionals. Scientific sources are provided throughout so that the reader may check on "controversial" material. Great care has been taken throughout to insure that all information here presented is accurate.

This is another website with an interesting theory, one I don't think I really believe, but cool to read about.

www.atlantisbolivia.org...

Here is their idea about the lost continent . . .

The lost continent of Atlantis is still there opposite the Pillars of Hercules (Strait of Gibraltar) only now it has been re-named South America. The key to the mystery of Atlantis is that Plato is describing both a large continent and a small volcanic island of the same name. Plato tells us that the continent had a large, level rectangular plain at its centre and that in the centre of the plain was the small volcanic island which later became the city of Atlantis.

edit on 12-2-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last qoutes

Does it perchance explain how their main enemy was Athens?

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I've always thought that if Atlantis truly existed it would have been the subcontinent of India before it was up against the Asian continent, like back when it was in the middle of the ocean. If you read the story of Atlantis it says that at one time the Atlanteans ruled the world with their great powers then one day a great disaster destroyed Atlantis & the Atlanteans were no more. Now, if you read India's theology it tells of a great explosion that reads like a description of the classic A-bomb. So, what I can assume with these disparate facts I've put together to explain a plausible theory of an ancient Atlantis I would guess that India was Atlantis a long time ago (like a really long time ago) & the great disaster that killed all the Atlanteans was really some sort of advanced war weapons that resemble some modern weapons. The memories of this Atlantis can be found in the mythology or other ancient writings of the people who currently inhabit the same land area that the original Atlanteans had inhabited. That's my theory.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Asynchrony

Again, how does theory deal with the fact that Plato's account of Atlantis very clearly states that a) Atlantis was destroyed by a great flood and that b) the main enemy of Atlantis was Athens?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join