It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA is now accepting applications from companies that want to mine the moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

NASA is now working with private companies to take the first steps in exploring the moon for valuable resources like helium 3 and rare earth metals.

Initial proposals are due tomorrow for the Lunar Cargo Transportation and Landing by Soft Touchdown program (CATALYST). One or more private companies will win a contract to build prospecting robots, the first step toward mining the moon.

The contract will be a "no funds exchanged" Space Agreement Act, which means the government will not be directly funding the effort, but will receive NASA support. Final proposals are due on March 17th, 2014. NASA has not said when it will announce the winner.

NASA leading the push to offer contracts to mine the moon?

AAC

NASA is now accepting applications from companies that want to mine the moon

According to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty of the United Nations, countries are prohibited from laying claim to the moon. The possibility of lunar mining and the emergence of private space companies has triggered a debate over lunar property rights, however.

This has interesting written all over it.

AAC

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

Covered here already, just a few hours ago... Though yours was a bit more detailed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9-2-2014 by captb13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Post deleted and added to original thread.
edit on 9-2-2014 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by captb13

Weird. I search the words: NASA-Mining-Contracts.

Nothing.

AAC

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

That's because they aren't talking about contracts at this point.
Try NASA mining proposals

edit on 2/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Phage

That's because they aren't talking about contracts at this point.
Try NASA mining proposals

edit on 2/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I just did. And I only got my thread.

AAC

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Why does NASA think they own the moon ??

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

First, if this is true, and NASA are looking for intrepid dudes in plaid shirts and blue jeans to poke holes in our nearest object neighbour, then I would like to point out the following.

If there are heavy deposits of rare earth minerals, then the magnetic ones ought to be left where they are if you ask me. Just a feeling, but I get the impression that messing about with the moons construction could be a bad idea, unless we really like unpredictable tides, and the idea of the moon crashing through our atmosphere and humping the earth like a deranged rabbit in some horrific spring time love fest.

Also, any mineral deposits that are there, should be used for space technology developments, and not ferried down to the surface of Earth. This stuff should be used for space craft building, on or in orbit of the moon.

And one more thing. This seems a little odd. I mean they liked it, so they put a flag in it, but does it make it theirs to tender mining proposals for?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Why would anybody need NASA for a contract to mine the Moon?

The only contract I can imagine is for using their rockets in order to get the equipment overthere.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

And I thought my Fly In Fly Out Mining Job on Earth had long flights...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

You ever see a purposely heavy payload re-enter the atmosphere of planet Earth? Let alone, anything enter the atmosphere without a parachute or wings? Neither have I.

I dont think we have the tech to pull this off, like mining asteroids. Better to crash it into Iowa and then work on it..

So imagine how the hell you bring a shipment from the moon ''down to Earth''

This sounds really risky, if you bring a shipping container full of rare Earth metals back and it gets off course a smidgen...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
lunar soil has a friendly little thing called helium 3 in it. well, to be more specific lunar regolith when processed to extract water/oxygen/steam, results in helium 3 as well. one ton of helium 3 contains enough energy to provide all the energy needs of the usa for a year. so it could run several lunar mining colonies with ease and in much less quantity.

hubby researched lunar mining and other space mining and found that there are several international agreements on who actually owns space. according to the agreements, no single country was allowed to own any part of any planet or moon. however, the idea of asteroid mining was not really discussed if i recall. been awhile since i read it. from this i gleaned that unless the member nations who had signed the agreements, changed their minds and agreed to it, no one would be mining it any time soon.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Great, one more reason to fight each other. Until we sort ourselves out on our own celestial body, I dont think we should be allowed to go rummaging around somewhere else. Luckily we can't deforest the moon, BUT we can certainly mine it and destroy whatever else we can get our hands on. I think every human being in history would be rolling over in their graves to know that we consider taking apart the one constant that spanned the lives of untold amounts of humans throughout history.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

At what point are we, as a planet, going to decide on how to explore / retrieve minerals from bodies other than Earth?

The last thing I want to see is the governments of Earth spending trillions of dollars to go to war over resources in the heavens. We already waste enough money on Earth doing that.

This planet needs a global space program. We need to have the spirit of exploration of the unknown injected back into the main stream. We need something for people to be hopeful and excited about.

We have absolutely no business laying claims to terrestrial bodies as a fragmented planet / society. I am not in favor of a galactic manifest destiny.

Neil deGrasse Tyson: "We Went to the Moon and We Discovered Earth"

edit on 10-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

Agreed, and what about those of us, including many celebrities who bought acres of land on the moon. I do believe it came with mining rights!

www.lunarland.com...
edit on 10-2-2014 by captb13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Tancred
reply to post by zatara

You ever see a purposely heavy payload re-enter the atmosphere of planet Earth? Let alone, anything enter the atmosphere without a parachute or wings? Neither have I.

I dont think we have the tech to pull this off, like mining asteroids. Better to crash it into Iowa and then work on it..

So imagine how the hell you bring a shipment from the moon ''down to Earth''

This sounds really risky, if you bring a shipping container full of rare Earth metals back and it gets off course a smidgen...

It is inevitable that we as a people of the Earth will mine objects like the Moon. The logistics will be something to think about...figuring out what the most efficient way is to get what we want. It is a bit like how to get to Mars and start permanent basis overthere.

Maybe we will need to make the machines for the mining on the moon with materials from the Moon itself. In time there will be maybe a way to transfer the energy from these mined materials in a wave form to the Earth instead of a heavy bucket load.

Off topic but...

I don't know...those words above are just some quick thoughts. Anyways...space is the answer for a healthy economy and to battle unemployment. It is the healthy alternative to the weapon industry.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Please inform NASA (Nation Assimilated by Spider Aliens) that we are not interested in bringing the larger version of yourselves to complete the invasion (Apollo 18). YOU MAY LEAVE AT YOUR EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY.
Buh Bye!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is great. It really is.
Think about it, a whole new space race, something to invigorate the public again, provide our new generation of children with a motive to advance an excel on something that benefits us all.
Jobs, New technologies, Energy gains, advancing sciences, increases in industry and a whole slew of other perks involved with it.
I agree though that the majority of those minerals should stay in orbit or the moon for the purpose of continue space faring development, but perhaps maybe send some if the good stuff down to earth....

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

pillock

The exact same thing that immediately crossed my mind when I read this (even if as Phage points out its just proposals)... still smacks of a sense of ownership or entitlement they dont in my opinion have (or do they?).

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

pillock

Ownership has no true meaning. You never truly own anything physical. Ownership requires that you access to something, and ability to deny others access to that something. As long as NASA can pull that off, they own it (or at least parts of it)

Better question, why do you think you own your property? (or think others do, if you don't)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join