It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea rescinds invitation to seek Bae release: U.S. official

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Well, I hate it when Governments use people as political pawns, but that seems to be what is happening here. First the offer is made, then pulled back.

(Reuters) - North Korea has rescinded an invitation for a senior U.S. official to visit Pyongyang to seek the release of imprisoned U.S. missionary Kenneth Bae, a State Department official said on Sunday, adding that American civil rights activist Jesse Jackson had offered to go to Pyongyang to try to free Bae.

"We are deeply disappointed by the DPRK (North Korean) decision - for a second time - to rescind its invitation for Ambassador (Robert) King to travel to Pyongyang to discuss Kenneth Bae's release.
Source

Like a yoyo here, and as the story also notes, after saying it wouldn't happen.

In what I am sure is totally unrelated news.... (/sarcasm)

(Reuters) - The United States and South Korea will hold their annual joint military drills from February 24 to April 18, the combined forces command that oversees the allies said on Monday, and Pyongyang had been notified of the plan.

I suppose Kim is mellowing a bit anyway....as this article notes at the end and many of us recall by researching things related to the situation at the time...Kim was in a much worse mood last year.

Last year, North Korea threatened nuclear attacks against the United States and its allies at the height of tensions coinciding with the U.S. and South Korean drills.
Source

I guess it's that time of year again.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Not to be contradictory, but WTH was Kenneth Bae thinking when he crossed the border!?!

He got everything he was asking for ... and now it's the State Department's job to get him back? It's fatty's job to deal with him as an issue? He's lucky he wasn't fed to the dogs with fatty's uncle.

I honestly have no sympathy for this guy, and hope no member of ATS is ever so foolish as to cross that border of lunacy.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
They should just go take him back. Fatty won't do a thing about it.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I figure that anyone, especially the leader of a nation, who uses 120 starving dogs to execute a family relative, just can't be trusted for anything!

They probably expected something like this was likely though...
edit on 9-2-2014 by alienreality because: added

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

That guy was an idiot in the first place for trying to be a missionary in NK. If that's really what he was doing there.

The best he can hope for is Kim will lighten up a bit and let him go which is doubtful considering the military activities on his border.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   

This has been the standard operating procedure for North Korea for decades now. They go down a road and the international community gets concerned, then in exchange for N. Korea to stop whatever it is they are doing, they give them financial / food support etc, knowing full well N. Korea has an Army First policy.

Some time goes by and we are back to the same issue - north Korea does something that concerns the world, and in return for stopping the activity, they get food / money / support.

People have argued that we cannot abandon the North Korea people and that refusing to supply aid only hurts them. There comes a point in time where one has to look at the situation and ask - Are we doing more harm than good to the People of North Korea by floating support to the North Korean Government / military? The aid is, in essence, allowing the regime to continue to oppress the North Korean people. I am curious what the loss of life would be in north Korea when compared to giving them aid as opposed to refusing to send any type of aid and allowing the government there to collapse?

N. Korea is gearing up for another "satellite launch" which is in reality a modified ballistic missile with increased ranges over its last "test". That will bring more sanctions and we will once again be in the exact same position as before.

The North Korean government is nothing more than a spoiled brat throwing a temper tantrum on the world stage because they are not getting what they want.

While most parents would tell a crying kid to "stop crying or I will give you something to cry about" in the case of North Korea, I think its time for the swat to the ass.

Bassago

That guy was an idiot in the first place for trying to be a missionary in NK. If that's really what he was doing there.

The best he can hope for is Kim will lighten up a bit and let him go which is doubtful considering the military activities on his border.

If you are going to play stickball in Brooklyn you better know the rules...
edit on 10-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join