It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Channel new Show: Close Encounters

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I love the Science Channel. Probably my most watched favorite channel. I guess in the month of March the channel is calling it the Are We Alone month, which features new programming. From what I have heard, this show, "Close Encounters" could be something like this channels version of " Unexplained Files", that it will feature some more prominent
ufo stories which have not been solved. I already saw one video short for the incident at a US Air Force base, I think it was Malstrom AFB.

Science Channel

I tried searching for this show on ATS but didn't find anything, so hopefully this is not a duplicate thread.
edit on 09pm28pm5091 by data5091 because: (no reason given)

edit on 09pm28pm5091 by data5091 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by data5091

Good find!

I've always liked the science channel, I'm optimistic about this show.

Then again, I remember thinking the same thing about "Chasing UFOs"

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I have never seen this channel before. Thanks a lot for letting everybody know!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rjbaggins

you are most welcome. I also love "Through the Wormhole" on Science Channel too.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Yeah I saw something about this the other day on the tube. Sounds like it could be some interesting programing and I for one, will be tuned in on March 4th..

Here's the trailer I saw on T.V.;

Thanks for posting, F&S.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This show is already airing on Discovery Canada, and I'm glad to now be able to see it in the US. The criticism I have heard from the UFO researchers who participated is that there is not enough time devoted to each case. and some of the re-enactments are overly dramatic. The production values look good, but this is only a television program, so don't expect accuracy. From what I've seen of their coverage of the Cash-Landrum case, they miss by miles!

Hardcore skeptic Robert Sheaffer has reviewed some of the episodes at his site:
Bad UFOs: Skepticism, UFOs, and The Universe - by Robert Sheaffer

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I haven't had cable in years but this is one of the channels I DO miss. I use to love the programming on there. I would definitely watch this show. I will have to check Amazon and see if they will put the episodes up for purchase.

Thanks for a heads up esp for those of us who don't have cable and don't really pay much attention to current tv programming.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
My pleasure. Yet another great show on SC is called "Futurescape" where they take a look around and see where science is headed in the future as it relates to how it affects us, for example new technologies to power space ships, including plasma/ion among others. James Woods hosts. Great show too.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Best show AND narrator ever, Morgan Freeman FTW!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

CardDown
This show is already airing on Discovery Canada, and I'm glad to now be able to see it in the US. The criticism I have heard from the UFO researchers who participated is that there is not enough time devoted to each case. and some of the re-enactments are overly dramatic. The production values look good, but this is only a television program, so don't expect accuracy. From what I've seen of their coverage of the Cash-Landrum case, they miss by miles!

Right, the experts who posted and commented there agreed the programs were not just 'dramatised', the stories were fictionalized, and reference to prosaic alternatives were mostly lies.The series is NOT aimed at mature, intelligent people.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by parad0x122

absolutely agree!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Entertainment won't do, either some direct evidence than guesses like 'it could be aliens since we don't know what it is and doesn't look man made'. If decades will pass with the same quality of evidence, don't bother, even if something were true, this piece of clues would not do any good.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Good. We need another "UFO/Alien" type of show. I loved UFO Hunters, despised Chasing UFOs, so hopefully this one will be good.

DVR will be set

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Unfortunately, over the last few years .. all these shows just keep re-hashing the same stories - over and over. No new "evidence" (or even stuff to debate as being "evidence"). Ancient Aliens seems to be in re-cycle mode now too. Although, much of that is re-cycled from the 1970's anyway.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I haven't seen any of them other than the Rendlesham one.

This gets all sorts of things wrong and focuses on only the first encounter and goes with Jim Penniston's modern re-telling of story that is 'suspect'.

Sadly there are very few good contemporary solid and balanced documentaries on the subject. It seems they are either sensationalist and for entertainment only or simply inaccurate.

UFOs the Untold Stories (which focuses on Europe) was decent.

www.youtube.com...

This one was good in my opinion but often disappears from the tube.

It gets the Socorro craft hopelessly inaccurate but otherwise is very interesting.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

data5091
reply to post by rjbaggins

you are most welcome. I also love "Through the Wormhole" on Science Channel too.

Through the Wormhole and Beyond the Wormhole are excellent. I urge anyone with an interest in this subject and the universe to watch it.

As for the UFO shows on that and other channels, all they seem to do is regurgitate the same things over and over: Roswell, Area 51, Kecksburg, Phoenix Lights, Stephensville, O'Hare Airport, Rendelsham Forrest/Bentwaters, Cash-Landrum, Malstrom AFB, STS-48 video (which has been pretty much debunked now), Face on Mars (ditto), etc.

edit on 11-2-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

JimOberg

CardDown

Right, the experts who posted and commented there agreed the programs were not just 'dramatised', the stories were fictionalized, and reference to prosaic alternatives were mostly lies. The series is NOT aimed at mature, intelligent people.

Are any of these shows anymore?

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

EnhancedInterrogator
Unfortunately, over the last few years .. all these shows just keep re-hashing the same stories - over and over. No new "evidence" (or even stuff to debate as being "evidence"). Ancient Aliens seems to be in re-cycle mode now too. Although, much of that is re-cycled from the 1970's anyway.

Pretty much. The UFO field is stuck in a doldrums at the moment. Nothing tremendously new or interesting is being reported. Some people might suggest that this is because people are reluctant to report for fear of ridicule or whatever, but I think that acceptance of UFO reports has never been higher. Very rarely are people called kooks if they report. So that suggests to me that there has been an actual decrease in the number of significant sightings/interactions. And the more "recent" ones such as the Phoenix Lights or Stephenville, Texas, ultimately resulted in a whole lot of nothing.

UFO sightings have always come in waves (flaps). Maybe someday it will pick up again.

posted on Feb, 13 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Blue Shift
Pretty much. The UFO field is stuck in a doldrums at the moment.

The Science Channel and Animal Planet have both now shown 4 eps of Uncovering Aliens, a semi-scripted show masquerading as a documentary that has not uncovered one single alien so far.

At the end of ep 1 they make a terrific song and dance about the Majestic 12 documents, interviewing a guy in and aircraft hangar who displays a ring binder full of secret government docs. What they are is just printouts from this website.

Pathetic.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageman

Reserved for watching

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join