It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats your fav sci-fi movie..

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
One movie that I always watch when it is on is Fantastic Voyage. I used to love it as a kid when it was on for the Sunday Afternoon movie. Starring Raquel Welch and Donald Pleasance you can't go wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

zatara

Hoosierdaddy71
The classics are my favorites
The war of the worlds and the time machine. The originals not the crappy remakes.
Day the earth stood still, old one again.
When worlds collide.
The thing. Can't go wrong with either the new or old version.
Anything sci if filmed in black and white gets my attention.
edit on 9-2-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

Today I watched When Worlds Collide. Those TechnoColor colors are really jumping from my screen and also loved the way people dressed in the 50's.

The last frame of that film, when they arrived on the new world shows two piramids in the distance and some made structures...

Does this mean there is a part two..?

Enjoyed watching it and thx to Wolfenz for the posters.
edit on 15/2/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

yes there a Part 2 but only in book form.. as it stands .. It tells about the Life and discovery's on the New Planet
and What they have Found ...

(( Here's a Little Brief ))
After Worlds Collide
en.wikipedia.org...

The United States and several other countries were able to construct and launch space Arks before the Earth was destroyed by a collision with Bronson Alpha, a rogue planet that had entered the solar system months earlier. Several other countries attempted to build them, but were unable for whatever reason. For example, it's mentioned that a French ship was constructed on a fault line, and was destroyed by an earthquake shortly before Bronson Alpha destroyed the Earth and moves out into deep space again. The new planet Bronson Beta swings into what seems to be a stable, but eccentric, orbit around the sun. Both American ships survived the voyage to this new world, as did at least two foreign ones, though all four were separated on landing, and each unaware of any other successful arrivals. The two American ships' personnel are finally reunited nearly half way into the book. Early in the story, the survivors of Hendron's own smaller Ark took stock of their situation and set out to establish a colony, already aware of the hint of a previous civilization: a road. Tony Drake and another associate scout out for suitable farmland, which is put to use, but during their return journey following the alien road, the two men come across a vehicle. After a mysterious disease passes through the camp, killing two colonists, Hendron forbids exploration, but some of the colonists defy him and strike out, bringing back wood from a distant forest. That night, an aircraft passes near the camp, beating a hasty retreat when it notices the campfire of wood.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

TheComte
reply to post by SalientSkivvy

Heavy Metal - a classic

YES!! Heavy metal! I can't believe I forgot that one. :p First time I watched that, I was like 11 years old or something..
I still have a bunch of the magazines to this day.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SalientSkivvy

If you are a south park fan, check out episode 3 of series 12 "major boobage" a strange homage to the heavy metal movie.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Hahaha I love south park!! And that was a hilarious episode... Makes me wanna go sniff some cat pee lol.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
EDIT: Quote, reply and YouTube link isn't working..
edit on 24/2/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'll try it this way..

Reply to SalientSkivvy

Skivvy wrote:

"Your welcome! And if you can give me a list of animated movies, that would be greatly appreciated. lol animation and sci-fi are two of my favorite things

Here you go...SalientSkivvy.

Today I bumbed into this one...a real beauty. Space Pirate Captain Harlock is the title of this animated sci-fi. I just love the style used to make this film, its is close like watching a videogame.

If you are in the know of animated movies in this style, please do not hesitate to inform me.

edit on 24/2/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The Collective Evolution III

edit on 26-2-2014 by rasmusberg because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

OooOooohh!! That is right up my alley!! I'm umm, not downloading the torrent right now...

Another one you may like is called "Vexille".

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ok, I'm going to apologize in advance. I LOVE science fiction with a passion. Always have. Always will. So I'm going to share with you a slightly large list of my favorites with a brief explanation why I liked them. So let's get started.

Let's start with animated and foreign films, to get it out of the way.

Memories - This is an anime anthology film from 1995 which has 3 stories. "Magnetic Rose", "Stink Bomb", and "Cannon Fodder". The first two stories are fantastic. The third, not so much. Magnetic Rose is about a space salvage crew that comes across a derelict vessel that happens to be haunted. Stink Bomb is about a guy who accidentally takes an experimental pill that causes his body to produce a very powerful toxic stench. Both are very well done and definitely worth the watch. Cannon Fodder is an acquired taste. I didn't like it.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - This is an anime about a post-apocalyptic world where vampires and humans both struggle for survival. A half vampire bounty hunter crosses paths with a group of vampire slayers while trying to find a girl that was kidnapped by a powerful vampire lord. Fantastic movie. The original (vampire hunter D) provides a bit of back story if you are interested. But the level of animation is significantly worse.

Akira - Probably the holy grail of scifi anime. A kid gets psychic powers and goes crazy. His best friend tries to stop him. How did that movie "Chronicle" not get sued?

Gantz - This one is a little hard to explain. It is a Manga, a short lived anime series, and two live action movies. The Manga is amazing and a lot longer than both the anime and the live action movies. The anime series is good but goes in a fairly different path than the manga. The movies were good but not as good as I'd hoped. All three (manga, anime, movies) start out the same and then go in different directions. I strongly recommend checking one or all of them out. But be warned. It is very violent. Characters can die at any time. And there is a fair amount of nudity and sex.

Battle Royale - Way before movies like "The Hunger Games" or "The Condemned", you had this movie. A Japanese film where Japan's youth have become too violent and uncontrollable. So the government decides to pick classes at random, put them on an island and make them fight to the death. Only one student can be the winner. If you don't fight and don't keep moving, you die anyway. The sequel wasn't very good though.

And now for the live action films.

The Quiet Earth - Definitely has to be near the top of my list. When I was a kid, this movie had the ideal survival scenario. You wake up one morning and just about everybody else on Earth has disappeared. There is just something about that idea that really clicked with me. Not sure why. Anyway, the movie is about these three people who find themselves in that situation. But as time goes by, the days get shorter. Strange things start to happen. And the scientist in the group discovers that the universe is collapsing because of some experiment he was a part of. Great movie. Watch it. It is somewhat similar to "The World the Flesh and the Devil" from the 1950's.

Night of the Comet - Along the same lines as "The Quiet Earth", it is about a group of people who wake up to find that just about everybody has disappeared. The catch is that most people have been turned to dust by a passing comet. The others are slowly degrading into violent zombies. It is a bit of a slapsticky 80's movie. But it's still good.

Phantasm 2-4 - This series of films is great. The first movie was very low budget and not so good. But from part 2 on, it's great. It is about this alien known as the "tall man" who is secretly invading the United States by consuming small towns in rural America and turning the inhabitants into an undead army. The series always struck a chord with me because I grew up in and around small towns like those in the films. And it seemed very believable that the inhabitants of these places could disappear and nobody would notice.

Mad Max 2 and 3 - The Mad Max series has to be mentioned. These were some of my favorite films growing up. The first film wasn't very good except for the ending. But The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome was awesome.

The Man From Earth - This is a low budget film that takes place in a single room and is entirely dialogue. And it is one of the greatest science fiction films I have ever seen. I'm not joking. If you haven't seen this movie, you have to do so right now. Go. I'll wait.

Maximum Overdrive - So you go to work at a gas station for your sleazy boss only to unwittingly become a survivor when all of Earth's machinery comes to life and starts slaughtering the entire human race. Bad day or what? This is, in my opinion, the best Stephen King film of all time. I'm sure others disagree, but that is just how I feel. Love that film.

Dark City - This is a very unique film. It has this whole noir meets scifi feel that really works. And it had these trippy over-the-top visuals long before films like "The Matrix" came along. The first time part of the city started moving around, I was blown away.

Waxworks 2 - I'm not sure if it would be considered scifi or not. But when I was a kid, it was great. Basically, the two survivors of the first film end up getting stuck in various parallel universes based on scifi and horror clichés and try to find their way back home. It's corny but great.

No Escape - This was actually the first DVD I ever bought when DVD technology was still fairly new. It starred Ray Liotta as this soldier who lost it and blew his CO's head off. So he gets sent to a privately run prison and then dumped on a seemingly inescapable island filled with psychos and a ragtag group of inmates trying to forge a new peaceful life for themselves.

The Last Starfighter - Another classic from my childhood. It was always fun to think that being really good at video games could get you selected to save the universe.

Starship Troopers - Great movie. It doesn't have very much in common with the book and it has a very totalitarian feel to it. But it is awesome. The only good bug is a dead bug. Would you like to see more?

John Carpenter's The Thing - Those monster effects are still creepy to this day.

Galaxy Quest - The whole movie is like one giant running star trek gag. Hilarious film.

Idiocracy - Very funny movie. And sadly, pretty believable premise.

Ice Pirates - I probably watched that movie a dozen times as a kid. It was funny and weird, which ultimately made it great.

Tremors - Mainly just the first one. The second one was ok. But after that, the series really went downhill. The movie always reminded me of that game you play as a kid where you pretend the floor is made of lava. Only, in this case, the floor is full of giant worm monsters.

Deep Rising - You take a crew of mercenaries to hijack a disabled cruise ship in the middle of the ocean. What could go wrong? Oh, right. Giant sea monster. Got it.

Flight of the Navigator - Another childhood favorite. A kid gets abducted by a slapsticky alien and placed back on earth about a decade too late. Oops.

Dreamcatcher - My favorite alien invasion movie. Another Stephen King classic.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This sci-fi movie is a potential candidate to hit my top 5 of most enjoyable to watch..

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The original TRON...not the new crap

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Oooo....yeah...,

This one is gonna be good tooo. Can't wait to see it in a theatre near me.

posted on Apr, 14 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Thanks for the list. I have already picked out a few and transferred them onto my own list.

posted on Apr, 15 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Oh goodness.....

I now cannot wait for this, i dont watch TV so i miss the adverts so glad you posted this. Looks great.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Almost forgot this one... the first time ..... and the last so far... I had a crush on a policeofficer..
Not a sci-fi movie with aliens from outer-space or Ufo's but fantasy with some many occult science ..I guess.

Really loved this movie.. and about to watch it again.

edit on 16/5/2014 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SalientSkivvy

I've got an other one you probably will appreciate to watch... Its just icredible how they can make such animations... and its getting better every year. Maybe in the future it will become difficult to see if a film is completly animated.

Appleseed Alpha

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Dawn of the dead, the newer version.

The opening theme song by Johnny Cash sealed the deal!! Plus it's just an awesome zombie movie, which are my favorites!

Here's a taste of what i'm talking about

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Arduous

That must be about the man going around taking names...
Yes, seen it and liked it much but not so much sci-fi is it? Well, maybe a scifi virus going around...

posted on Jul, 20 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

I suppose any zombie movie could technically be considered scifi. Biological science, at least.

I liked the remake of Dawn of the Dead, but I really think they should have called it something else. It has nothing in common with the George Romero Dead series. The zombies are completely different.

However, I will admit that my guilty pleasure is that I actually preferred the zombies in "Return of the Living Dead" directed by Dan O'Bannon better than any other zombie film. I liked them best because it was the ultimate in hopeless situations. A world where shooting a zombie in the head was not going to stop it. And the zombies were somewhat intelligent. Able to use basic tools. At one point, a zombie pretty much ordered takeout by saying "send more paramedics". And the recently dead were somewhat fast moving.

So not only would you be stuck in a world of hungry brain eating zombies, but they know how to open doors and climb ladders and have to be completely dismembered.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join