It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Last Newspaper !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This morning , I bought my last Sunday newspaper ! I will burn what's left of it on the ' Barbie ' this afternoon ' . From now on - I will start my fires with papers pilfered from the recycling bin... probably a crime .

1. The classified section is now the domain of used car dealers . I suppose everyone else uses ' Craigslist ' or something.

2. The articles which interest me ... I've already seen days before , on the ' net.

3.What I do read is CRAP . Today , I found out that the Christians of Central African Republic are THE bad guys , bent on revenge . Revenge of what ? Not sayin' . I'm sure it couldn't be the Islamic regime that was recently deposed... they're the Good Guys . Period... end of story .

The last straw ? The obnoxious half - page advertising ' supplement ' which obscures the front page . Then again... there iis no reason to see the front page ... I already know what to expect .

A late edition of my ' local ' newspaper ( Arizona Daily Star ) on December 7 , 1941 would have looked like this :

NESE
ACK
ARBOR!

DAMMIT ! I used to love my Sunday paper !

edit on 9-2-2014 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Try living in Australia where there are no good newspapers at all. Pretty much every newspaper in Australia are tabloids owned by corporations. Nope, we don't have The Guardian or the New York Times. We have crappy tabloids lol.

I think the future of newspapers are dim, but i don't think they will die. I just think newspapers need a restructure. Perhaps they should focus more on investigative stuff and feature articles, rather than breaking news. That's the way i'd do it if i had a newspaper/website combination.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't bother reading the newspaper any more as its all fake celebs wanting exposure, And crap what has been mentioned before. They put anything in true or not, Because at the end of the day they just want to make money. You would be better off reading the local toilet wall. There's more truth on that!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Congratulations! I haven't seen or read an evening or Sunday newspaper in over a decade! There's some good articles by reasonable journalists available on line for free (until your 'monthly limit' is reached) but so much information out there on line, and there's only so much time in the day; don't need dead trees to get your daily dose.

It's as bad as buggy whips; all that paper, the distribution costs, gasoline, trucking, even plane flights to distribute the 10 pound heavy god-like New York Times Sunday edition across the world within hours of its printing...

They lost me the day I saw an article complete with horrific pictures of starving children in Africa and right next to it, ads for Tiffany and real estate fake articles/advertisements for 5 million dollar homes in the Hamptons...

The gap between reality and the supposed 'lifestyle' of its readers so appalled me I banned them from MY lifestyle.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Back before I broke it off with my girlfriend, we used to always get the sunday paper (Cleveland Plain Dealer) for the coupons it had in it. The coupons always paid for the paper in savings.

Now the Plain Dealer is down to a three day a week rag, pretty much only fit to line a bird cage. The adverts are larger than the actual paper. And they want $2.50 for it....LOL.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Whoa they still use paper?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Perhaps they should focus more on investigative stuff and feature articles, rather than breaking news.
reply to post by daaskapital

I would agree that if newspapers strictly did investigative reporting, they would create a niche that today's media ignores. The newspapers have to offer news that will set them apart from online and TV sources. By the time newspapers are printed, most breaking news is old hat. The days of investigative reporting has fallen by the wayside or no longer exists. Newspaper owners need to hire reporters who have the gonads and conviction to dig up facts and expose corruption where ever it may be. I can bet if they did that type of journalism, they would get people coming back in droves and probably give today's tabloid media a run for their money!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

It's pretty common knowledge now that most newspapers and 'outlets' such as Reuters and the AP have CIA handlers somewhere along the 'editor' line that says what does and doesn't get printed. Anyone bucking the trend won't work in journalism long before they're blacklisted. Or as happened to Dan Rather, made a mockery of with malice aforethought.

OTOH, at least on line sources have a bit of anonymity if they want it, aren't in a central location that's easy to control, and can monetize their content in ways that don't require kissing certain body parts.

The internet is electronic telepathy and it's the worse idea DARPA ever had, considering the potential to actually get as many people as possible up to speed as to the reality of our situation as fast as possible... it's a global revolution in real time and at least some people are realizing that the old school media is full of lies.

TL/DR: It's not worth the coupons.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
But you cannot get rid of your paper! Have you ever tried to do the crosswords on the computer? The pen marks are a bear to get off the screen.

I get daily hand-me-down copies of two local papers. My octogenarian landlord leaves them on my stairs after he is done reading. Having puzzles on hand is great and some of the articles are well written but for the most part -- meh.

Everyone talking about the low quality of newspaper reporting and content made me remember a news story from last year that had heads shaking. Newspaper Editor Blames Decline of His Industry on Single Moms. I love this particular link because of the caption of the accompanying photo

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

TheDoctor46
They put anything in true or not, Because at the end of the day they just want to make money.

My grandfather started , and ( for awhile ) owned a major American newspaper... well , OK -Seattle . He said that ads cover the expenses ( and then some ) - and ' newsstand price ' was money in his pocket. He must be rolling in his grave to see that HE ( PR man extraordinaire ) would be considered a ' Moralist ' in todays ' newsroom '.

Yes , money . But , you see ? They won't be getting MINE anymore . Not directly...

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

signalfire

They lost me the day I saw an article complete with horrific pictures of starving children in Africa and right next to it, ads for Tiffany and real estate fake articles/advertisements for 5 million dollar homes in the Hamptons...

I know that things in the ' newsroom ' are probably hectic... but - I 've wondered at times - whether someone actually ' put ' those stories and ads together. For whatever reason.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

NiteNGale2
But you cannot get rid of your paper! Have you ever tried to do the crosswords on the computer? The pen marks are a bear to get off the screen.

I don't do crosswords anymore... nice try !

I can't spell BEEBER .

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I gave up on the paper long ago, I really do not care if Madonna adopted an African baby...

I don't want to read "Dear Deirdre I Think I Am Carrying The Dog Next Doors Baby"

Why should we as a people pay others to fill our minds with rubbish?

My opinion is that it doesn't take Einstein to figure the easiest way to control people is to teach them to read and then
supply them with reading material to fit your agenda, grab them at 4 years old to ensure a lifetime of rules and regs are
adhered to, tell them who to respect....and tell them to dream.

I make my own news and read something that makes me happy (or go on ATS) on a Sunday morning, I always think back to my dad watching the same news channel every night at 6pm and wonder why he chose that channel/program/presenter idk?
I look at the news and think lies lies lies, also I think most channels have an agenda or are in favour to particular parties, how are we to know who to avoid until its too late.

And a Sunday newspaper costs the same as a takeaway cheeseburger.... there's something wrong there.

excuse my rant and forgive me for not reading through the whole post.

new topics

top topics

join