It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Java Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Do we need the Java program to run on our PCs???

Javascript runs already on browsers...as I found out recently, Java is not needed to run the script
....and programs such a No Script can let us decide which sites to allow through.

What kind of programs NEED...really NEED Java to survive??

Lately there have been reports of malware attaching to .exe files of Java...so is it a necessary evil...or should it just be removed and call it a day?

I am by no means a person who is extremely knowledgeable about computers....but do get by.....so, what are your thoughts????

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

What kind of programs NEED...really NEED Java to survive??

minecraft

in a more serious note i once asked a IT guy why they use things like this and he said most corporate systems are old and when they get new equipments its necessary for them to have backwards compatibility, its not really related but he said something like that when i got a brand new pc core i7 with windows xp on 2012
edit on 9-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2014 by Indigent because: worst post ever

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't know a lot about Java, but would we not need it for the like of signing in to ATS, or form filling validation and stuff like that, probably web page building too.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Java is not needed by anything on your computer as a whole. It is mainly for websites that use it to display content.

Lately there have been reports of malware attaching to .exe files of Java

I have addressed this before. Everyone listens to the media go on and on about Java being the end of the world, but they don't realize the threat is no different than it ever was. Java exploits have always been there. Just as Adobe Flash threats, and gaping holes in Internet Explorer and Windows. Yes, even Windows 8.1.

As I have said before, the media attack on Java is mostly hype. It doesn't have any more holes than the others I mentioned. I will continue to run my Java, just as I have for years.

edit on 2/9/2014 by Klassified because: corrections and eta

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You don't need Java;however, many popular games were built using Java. Java is a programming language, so if the developer chooses to use Java instead of C++, C, C+, C#, F#, Visual Basic, the list goes on and on. It's all just different syntax and each developer has their own personal preference

Runescape, and Minecraft are built using Java.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Reading things like you're computer don't need java is abit wrong as java is needed for lots of things. I am working with java at the moment on a android app. java code makes images which I did not know before hand it's cool.

Also java is in everybody's car, everybody's home its everywhere

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I thought the originating idea behind Java was to develop applications that could run as platform independent. Write one application that could execute on multiple platforms, Windows, Mac, UNIX, etc without having to write multiple versions of the app.
edit on 801pm5252pm122014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Java is absolutely relevant in today's world. It's extremely popular on devices of all types largely because it's able to communicate with the hardware meaning that it's used everywhere in the world of things. Java is used to create Android apps so millions of people use it every day. I use Linux based operating systems and most of the apps are built with Java. As far as web apps go, Java is less popular than server-side languages like .net, php, rails and node.js. I really like node.js with the Express framework. An app can be built with one language for the front and back-end and it's based on the V8 js engine from Chrome which makes it extremely fast. It's architecture also makes it more scalable than other solutions such as the LAMP stack. As far as developing in Java, I really don't enjoy it. IMO, the language needs a lot of work and it tends to get in the way of efficient programming. That's just my opinion though and I know several people who love it.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

coolcatt

Reading things like you're computer don't need java is abit wrong as java is needed for lots of things. I am working with java at the moment on a android app. java code makes images which I did not know before hand it's cool.

Indeed. Well said...

What is Java? Java allows you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, and view images in 3D, just to name a few. It's also integral to the intranet applications and other e-business solutions that are the foundation of corporate computing.

What is Java
Learn about Java

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Java is being used more and more in car apps, TV apps, computer and mobile device apps, video games.

Since you're using NoScript, what's to worry about? NoScript not only blocks Javascript, but also Java, Flash and other things as well. If you come across a site wanting to use Java, all you have to do is allow it through NoScript or not.

Having said that, I've never had an issue with Java since it was first introduced in the late 90's.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Great comments....I'd much rather see what ATS members have to say rather than rely on the vastness and unknown of the Internet.

I'll just set the security to high on Java....and keep my security measures up-to-date.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, Java is nothing but one of those annoying catches that you must install before you're able to download such and such random program.
Ah, computer software... they're as picky as a toddler half the time. It's a wonder I manage to get anything done.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Java is platform independent, that's why we need to download the Java Runtime Engine for our operating system, the JRE is waht runs the Java programs.

And while Java is present in many systems, that's irrelevant for the needs of a specific computer.

I use several programs made in Java, one to see photos taken by the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's HiRISE camera, another to show the colour space of an image, etc. When I am going to fill my tax form I will use a Java applet (a small program that runs inside a browser) or a Java program, etc.

If a program needs Java it will say so, so I don't see any need for a new computer to have Java installed, unless the user knows that is going to need it.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Im of the opinion that Java is not needed, really its only use for the average end user is games. I haven't had it enabled in my browser for a long time, I view it a security hazard. Though I do still have it installed, as a standalone, just not in my browser, I like to know what my computer is running.

Websites commonly use flash, PHP and JavaScript(not to be confused as being related to Java in anyway, they only share the name Java, it was developed in the early days to use syntax similar to Java). I dont even remember the last time I came across a site that required Java.

As was mentioned Java is commonly used in a workplace environment, this is to keep consistency when when using different types of operating systems. So whoever maintain that Java app only has maintain a single version, instead of one for every OS the app runs on.

Also it is a misconception that Android uses Java, Android uses Dalvik which was developed based on the Java api, this is so when you write code can use a already developed programming language, instead of learning a whole new one, but once compiled it is using Dalvik, not Java.
Oracle could stop updating Java tomorrow and trash it, and nothing would change for Android.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Kr0nZ
Websites commonly use flash, PHP and JavaScript(not to be confused as being related to Java in anyway, they only share the name Java, it was developed in the early days to use syntax similar to Java).

From a browser point of view, PHP doesn't exist.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

coolcatt

Java is an excellent language for multimedia apps and applets which is why it's found in alot of devices ranging from computers to your TV and just about everything in-between. It's not necessarily a must have on your computer but if you want certain types of media to play then it's a must or if your a programmer. Been programming in Java for 10+ years (plus other languages) and not once have I ever seen a software package programmed completely in Java. It's always a combination of two languages and Java is always the secondary language (ie. special methods programmed in Java and called from the primary language).

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

The only use of Java I have made in programming was an applet to add the possibility of using Twain scanners on a web-based program.

new topics

top topics

join