It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pondering Elves

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I was doing some reading this morning and came upon a wonderful article discussing a protest on building roads in Iceland because it would disturb the habitat of the elves who live there among the rocks. It was very interesting to me and made me think about why more people in the Icelandic culture believe in Norse Elf mythology. Polls were taken and it was discovered that at least half of their population believes in elves or won't rule out their possible existence.

The Iceland people even have Elf School !

A film producer by the name of Jean Michel Roux made a documentary film called Investigation Into The Invisible World, after he was in Iceland looking for locations because of the beautiful and breathtaking scenery. After talking to the people he began to learn of their beliefs and decided to document and investigate further.

What do you think of this ? Its amazing that certain cultures still protect the natural habitats not only for preserving our beautiful earth but also for the beings they believe inhabit it.

Why do you think they would go to such extremes ? Is it because there is truth to this ?

source

pondering
leolady

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

You will find the belief in the little people and fairy folk was not merely due to children's tale's but formed in integral part of the culture of europe, it can still be found in some in scandinavia as well as the still living belief's of the people of iceland as you have found out.
These belief's can be very powerful thing's indeed.
Oddly many of the icelandic belief's are more like spiritual being's than the otherworldly little people of the Irish or the Gentry of the Scot's and are tied in with shamanic magic and ritual as nature spirit's that can be both vengeful, cruel and wicked but if appeased actually beneficial and some places are simply not to be disturbed less the disturbance roused the wrath of the little people, one major road in iceland cut's through solid rock in many places but when the builders came to a particular boulder they had a lot of misfortune and accident's, machine's kept breaking down so they asked a shamen whom said the rock was the home of the little people so they then left it untouched but split the road around it on both side's (sorry if that is in the film my broadmand allowence is running a little low so am having to skip it but my ex friend lived in sweden for man years and became naturalised, there were some interesting tale's from there as well.
Actually I quite like it as it show's tradition's and belief's from the old world are to some extent still alive even though I am a christian.

edit on 9-2-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

I'm not saying I believe in "Elves" but...

I think it wise to take notice of certain areas for various reasons. I firmly believe many of the Ancients myths and legends may have some sort of Kernel of truth to them and which we may not presently fully understand how or why something acts or behaves in certain ways. I think it prudent that we should respect them until we can gain a better understanding of such locations/situations etc.

Interesting find.

edit on 9-2-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Bah, they're always confusing us with faeries and elementals. We are the same size as you and live in a different realm.
LOL
Interesting thread for sure. Why would so many people believe in them for so long? Not saying they are real but...must be something to this.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Long live the forest folk! When I was younger my brother and I would play ocarina and guitar songs for them.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zombiefreekshow

Is that what that noise was? LOL Kidding
I think there are more believers here, they just won't admit it.

I wish I could remember my Irish Grandmother's stories of how a lot of people believed.

CX

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is not uncommon in Ireland.

A little while ago there was a businessman on the news who lost most of his money, and the locals seemed to think he had such bad luck due to him building on a fairy fort.

manmythmagic.blogspot.co.uk...

CX.
edit on 9/2/14 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The legends and stories go back and back and writing it off because it seems absurd might be too hasty and a disservice to our ancestors.

Once one realizes ghosties and other invisible thingies exist, it isn't too far off the reservationf to wonder about elves and fairies.

And the sightings, even in modern times are interesting... especially when one realizes that it's so weird that most people seeing a little fellow will keep it to themselves, and rightly so.

I have a friend who swears she saw a little man in a red hat who would walk across her bedroom most every night and disappear into her closet. Knowing her for so long... I believe she saw this... whatever that means.

Also, once with friends in a wilderness setting we all independently started talking about elves and little people and "felt" them around us... we laughed it off, but it made us wonder.

Edit add: and many aboriginal societies that live closer to nature talk about the little people who live in seemingly "pocket" universes, or comingling dimensions ... exactly like our European and Asian ancestors did. And these "beliefs" (they would say experiential info) exist across the globe.. so hmmmmm. Also note that if you ever find yourself in fairyland don't eat the food if you want to return to this world (and one should wear a condom, too).
edit on 2/9/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
There's tales of little people from all around the world and from many different cultures. In Hawaii, if something comes up missing, or gets broken, a lot of Hawaiians immediately blame the Menehune.

I witnessed them back in the early-to-mid-eighties here where I live in the Appalachias and have no doubts of their existence. I believe they live underground in little cities or something to that effect. It's still hard for me to believe what I saw and I don't expect anyone else to believe it.

S&F

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Tidbits dangled and then yanked away? If you've written about it, linky, if you haven't, maybe do so? This is anonymous for a reason, after all!

There are tons of little people sightings... many in Appalachia. I remember a kid who saw a little man the size of a coke bottle and there were little, perfect footprints, too.

This gets lumped in with aliens, lately, and the globs of light seen in conjunction confuses the issue, too.

But please, tell us what you saw... so what if some buzzed young wag posts a thumbs down in response? Heh...

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I have a feeling the veil will keep falling down further and people will be hearing about all sorts of bizarre things that were told to us as myths.. Some have already come true. Not sure about elves, and have never even heard of any modern day sightings..but I haven't really been looking

edit on 9-2-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I swear I've gotten better since then!

I think your right people are afraid to speak their mind

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

leolady

I was doing some reading this morning and came upon a wonderful article discussing a protest on building roads in Iceland because it would disturb the habitat of the elves who live there among the rocks. It was very interesting to me and made me think about why more people in the Icelandic culture believe in Norse Elf mythology. Polls were taken and it was discovered that at least half of their population believes in elves or won't rule out their possible existence.

The Iceland people even have Elf School !

A film producer by the name of Jean Michel Roux made a documentary film called Investigation Into The Invisible World, after he was in Iceland looking for locations because of the beautiful and breathtaking scenery. After talking to the people he began to learn of their beliefs and decided to document and investigate further.

What do you think of this ? Its amazing that certain cultures still protect the natural habitats not only for preserving our beautiful earth but also for the beings they believe inhabit it.

Why do you think they would go to such extremes ? Is it because there is truth to this ?

source

pondering
leolady

I think it's good. I don't find it extreme at all, not sure why you do.

The ancestral cultures of the area (Ireland and Iceland), have always held sway, even through the Christian demonisation of them.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Baddogma
reply to post by Fylgje

Tidbits dangled and then yanked away? If you've written about it, linky, if you haven't, maybe do so? This is anonymous for a reason, after all!

There are tons of little people sightings... many in Appalachia. I remember a kid who saw a little man the size of a coke bottle and there were little, perfect footprints, too.

This gets lumped in with aliens, lately, and the globs of light seen in conjunction confuses the issue, too.

But please, tell us what you saw... so what if some buzzed young wag posts a thumbs down in response? Heh...

OK.
This is a thread I done about fairies and some elves that I saw. I've witnessed some strange things in my life and been through some strange situations.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It ranks right up there beside my children being born as one of the most fascinating things I've ever witnessed in my lifetime.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

To believe in and see fairies and elves and the other creatures of the woodlands one must enter in wonder like a child, or so I've been told (or what, or heard). My main occult/perception teacher said he saw Pan once, an experience and a state of consciousness similar to what this thread bounces towards.
edit on 9-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The documentary was amazing. Visually Iceland has a very other worldly feel to it. The terrain seems so mysterious and beautiful. Crazy all the interviews with such a wide range of experiences. Even government workers openly acknowledging these normally unspoken entities. I would love to visit!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Very good link and post, thank you. That thread seems like a good companion piece to this one.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I believe you.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Under the influence of a certain chemical that is also produced in the body....I met them....I was all peace and harmony thinking I was doing the right thing....they were all angry that what I was doing was a shortcut....and procured unnaturally through solvents, acids and base which harmed the environment.

Suffice to say....there is another realm...and my own experience validates that belief even though I had zero expectations of what I was going to experience in that moment.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Yeah Al, I'm down with Pan and am a nature spirit whacko at heart. There are those pristine areas of stream and woodland that have an aura about them... magical, I guess... definitely a liminal realm. I haven't run into too many of them, but one knows it when one is there.

It is a tad difficult to balance reason and intuition, at least for me, but it can be done... hopefully. Though I don't want to fall victim to panic, or pandemonium... Pan is a fickle god, heh.

Frankly, I never thought I'd be discussing fairies with a straight face (and mine is only half smiling right now) but I trust my friends, most of my fellow man and my own nebulous feelings... but having a nearby race of little people is weird, if true.

That little fellow found in Chile. the 12 inch humanoid ... I haven't heard that debunked yet... and there is that little mummy found in Wyoming (in bedrock), so there might be more to it than intuition, too... as in physical evidence.

And Light Assasin, you could discuss your experience, just leave out the chemical keys to the kingdom... right?

edit on 2/10/2014 by Baddogma because: add

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join