It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Said Goodbye "Triple Play" Forever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Like any family man, I try to provide my wife and kids with a decent quality of life and confort. To have a company providing tv, internet and phone used to be a good move, but they got too expensive so I made a change using my tax returm this year.

I was paying around $135 to $140 a month for the "Triple Play". Now cable bill will be $64.90.

I bought an Smart TV (found one for $398.98 + taxes), a good digital antenna, a Roku and a Magic Jack.

When I called th cable company to cancel the TV and phone service, I upgraded my internet with extra speed for less than $5.00 more, that was optional so I could be paying even less i want to.

The scanner detected 41 free channels when I plugged the antenna. On top of that, I"m also subscribed to netflix and amazon. Now my family watch what they want when they want. They have so many options that they don't miss the cable channels at all.

The roku uses Wi-Fi and I can connect it to any analog TV. in my bedroom or kitchen, so I can watch movies and shows there too without another flat or smart tv.

The cable bill cut will represents $841.2 a year, so in about a year my investment might be covered. not bad.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I did the same thing four years ago. With Hulu, which is free I only have to wait eight days if I miss a show that I like.

The only gripe I have is since I am paying a internet provider and have a account, I should be able to log-in to other TV network sites and catch shows like The Walking Dead, but nooooo, you can only do that if you have the TV subscription as well. Huh?! If I had the TV subscription, I would need to sign ontp the AMC site. Makes no sense.

Oh well, trivial thing. All I have to do is wiat a year for the next season to get released on NetFlix.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

TDawgRex
I did the same thing four years ago. With Hulu, which is free I only have to wait eight days if I miss a show that I like.

The only gripe I have is since I am paying a internet provider and have a account, I should be able to log-in to other TV network sites and catch shows like The Walking Dead, but nooooo, you can only do that if you have the TV subscription as well. Huh?! If I had the TV subscription, I would need to sign ontp the AMC site. Makes no sense.

Oh well, trivial thing. All I have to do is wiat a year for the next season to get released on NetFlix.

That's right. They use "The Walking Deads" and "Game of Thrones" to keep us hooked to the cable bill. I'm not going back and I won't pay a cent for "Exclusive TV Shows". They can cry me a river.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

My experience with Majicjack is a nightmarish one of trying to enter an acceptable %$/&* password. They allotted me one full of both ones or l's, zeros and letter O's. Trying to get it figured out resulted in no service. They thanked me for subscribing me to their service and asked me to renew. Fat chance of that!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
My girlfriend and I have been cable free for almost 6 years now. I would of never thought that I could "live" without it. Our needs are served with Netflix, Vudu, and Red Box. I would never go back!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well Comcast sucks anyways, so good thing you got rid of it.

I am getting ready to cancel mine. Especially since I am not getting popups from Verizon. I am not paying for you to give me popups.

Not to mention that Verizon is just plain evil and have jacked up my banking account.

My mother has the Roku box and loves it. As soon as cancel my cable, I will get one too.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
BTW, for phone I use Ooma. It has been great so far. You pay the initial 300 and after that it is just monthly taxes which is about $6 bucks.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

If only I could be as brave as you, Trueman...

Unfortunately, I'm in a similar package to what you were in & just too addicted to sports programming, and networks like Science, Discovery, HBO, AMC, TMC, and the History channels...

It's actually been a sanity saver with a colder than normal winter where I live - I wish they offered packages for the seasons - I tend to watch very little TV programming when it's warmer outside and you can go out to enjoy more. They are pretty receptive to price decreases if I threaten to pull out...
maybe I'll give them a ring when spring arrives..

top topics

join