It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E.U. Orders Euthanising OF Healthy Giraffe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

ArMaP
I missed that part where the E.U. ordered this, could you point it to me, please?

Thanks in advance.

That piece of information is not included in that particular article. In the link to the article included here you will see that this was carried out in accordance with the terms of an E.U. breeding programme.

www.itv.com...
edit on 9-2-2014 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

Unlike yourself I do not see this as something to be made light of. This after all is a conspiracy site and bureaucracy is a very effective weapon in the arsenal of nascent dictatorships.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

reply to post by hotel1

Not EU but European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA)
edit on 9-2-2014 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

So in the future we can look back and say,"it all started with a Giraffe named Marius".

I hear what you are saying, but changing this story of a giraffe being put down in to what ever it is you a trying to, is in my eyes a bit to wierd.

Sorry, thats just me and my not so wierd mind, i am now out of this disscussion as we are not getting anywhere with our different opinions.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is horrible & sickening because they had other options.
What I don't understand is this...if they have such
rules against inbreeding why did they allow it to happen & if it could
not have been prevented why did they let him live in the first place just to
be slaughtered later?
Doesn't sound like they keep very thorough records if they have to guess
that he is around 2 yrs old.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

That is an extreme and facile extrapolation of the point I was making about the inherent danger of faceless centralised rule.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Thanks to all those that answered my previous post.

It looks like this was the zoo's fault, as they went against the rules of the EAZA (not a EU related organisation) and, as a consequence, had to kill the giraffe.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
This is pretty shocking, especially the fact that visitors were invited to watch the giraffe be dissected and fed to the lions - however contrary to what you say this was not ordered by the EU, nor is the EU mentioned anywhere in the article you linked.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It must be an official saw the news ancient Romans eat giraffe at pompeii and he wanted to give it a try, was it to difficult to donate it to another zoo?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Panic2k11
reply to post by flammadraco

reply to post by hotel1

Not EU but European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA)
edit on 9-2-2014 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)
a

EAZA is an organ of The European Parliament and Council. The E in the acronym is a likely indicator of where this organisation gets its funding and the outlines for the terms of its programmes. You are correct to say it is not the E.U. per se. Perhaps I should have titled the thread as European Superstate Orders Euthanising of Healthy Giraffe but the member states of the E.U. do make up a sizeable portion of the Council and the Parliament in its entirety.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

ArMaP
Thanks to all those that answered my previous post.

It looks like this was the zoo's fault, as they went against the rules of the EAZA (not a EU related organisation) and, as a consequence, had to kill the giraffe.

I'm not sure, but I think the EAZA said they couldn't breed it, but the EU laws said it couldn't be rehomed for breeding, hence it had to be killed.

I think, but I'm still looking into it just because I'm curious about it.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

hotel1
EAZA is an organ of The European Parliament and Council.

Really?

The E in the acronym is a likely indicator of where this organisation gets its funding and the outlines for the terms of its programmes.

That's the most stupid explanation I have ever read.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'd hate to be one of the kids who had to watch that. It could have been important to show what happens at a zoo when an animal dies, but some of the kids might have walked away scarred.

"Hey kids, let's go to the zoo and watch a man cut up a giraffe!" said no parent ever

"Okay! Yay!" replied no child ever.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

TheToastmanCometh
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'd hate to be one of the kids who had to watch that. It could have been important to show what happens at a zoo when an animal dies, but some of the kids might have walked away scarred.

"Hey kids, let's go to the zoo and watch a man cut up a giraffe!" said no parent ever

"Okay! Yay!" replied no child ever.

Actually the children there was exited and very curious to what was going on, they asked questions and no one was running away crying. Parents with children had meet up there only to see this, and regular guest took it well to.

This is completly overblown.

I live in Copenhagen and read the news directly from it's source.
edit on 9-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

flammadraco
I cannot understand why they euthanised this poor animal. I understand their point on genetics, so why not neuter the poor thing so it was not able to breed instead of killing him.

In a zoo environment, you have a limited number of spaces. Every space taken up by an animal is one that cannot be used by another animal. In order to try to maintain a healthy, genetically diverse population, zoos take great pains to try to make sure that every available space is either reserved for taken by an animal that can be a contributor to the genetic diversity of the overall herd in the zoo network. They do this to minimize the need to take new animals out of the wild, among other things.

One giraffe may not seem like much, but they can live a long time in captivity. And all Marius was going to do was take up a valuable space that could be assigned to a more genetically diverse giraffe.

Watch enough animal documentaries about zoos and their breeding programs and you understand this. I alluded to it in my first post.

One wonders why they bred him in the first place? Surely they knew he wasn't going to fit into the program before it all began. And if it was accidental, then surely there are better management practices in place than simply to slaughter the animal.

I don't know at what point we cross the line from display animal that people are familiar with and regard in a manner similar to a pet and when they should start regarding the animal as more of a food animal which seems to be the crux of the problem here. There are similar problems in the US with rabbits. You can keep and breed them as food animals, livestock, but there are activist groups that will attempt to get you railroaded for animal cruelty for it if they can.
edit on 9-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
From their own website history page.

www.eaza.net...

EAZA was formed in 1992, expanding the geographical scope of its forerunner, ECAZA, the European Community Association of Zoos and Aquaria, and also formally incorporating the important work of the European Endangered Species Programmes (EEPs), which had been operating since the mid-1980s. In 1988 zoos in member states of the then European Community recognised a need to create a common platform through which they could work with the European Parliament towards a directive on minimum standards for the care of animals in zoos. The discussions eventually gave birth to the European Zoos Directive, eleven years later.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Cause it's part of the program to use their own animals as food for the carnivores, every Zoo does that. If it isn't a Giraffe it's a Zebra and so on, it's normal practice, just this time it hit the news, cause of the breed problem.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

So in Europe they breed animals in zoos to feed the other animals?

In the US, they are feed rabbit, chicken, or beef not other exotic animals bred in the zoos.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I agree with your comments. However as you mention the zoo should not have allowed him to be conceived in the first place. The fact they did should mean they have to find the poor creature space even if that means making room. They have a duty of care to animals in their care. A zoo in the UK offered a place for this animal but were turned down. Perhaps creating a circus with his slaughter was more important.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

No, not directly but as a second option they do, the same with sick animals if they are to no danger to the animals eating them they are used as food.

I bet thats going on in the US to, you just don't hear about it.

I remember an article some years ago about the food carnivors was feed, was like us eating hamburgers, so they wanted to start feeding them carcases and live food cause it was more healthy for them, i don't know if they actually started on it though

edit on 9-2-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join