It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graves of a Catholic woman and her Protestant husband

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Graves of a Catholic woman and her Protestant husband, who were not allowed to be buried together. On the Protestant part of this cemetery J.W.C van Gorcum, colonel of the Dutch Cavalry and militia commissioner in Limburg is buried. His wife, lady J.C.P.H van Aefferden is buried in the Catholic part. They were married in 1842,the lady was 22 and the colonel 33, he was a protestant and didn’t belong to the nobility.

This caused quite a commotion in Roermond. After being married for 38 years the colonel died in 1880 and was buried on the protestant part of the cemetery against the wall. His wife died in 1888 and had decided not to be buried in the family tomb but on the other side of the wall, the closest she could get to her husband. Two clasped hands connect the graves across the wall.

Latitude:50.936944
Longitude:5.341667

What an ingenious idea! Even in death they are still together.
Although the woman chose to be buried on the other side of the wall

What say you ATS?
A great idea?
Or ridiculous that they are buried apart due to religious belief?

Me personally, im a total atheist so i think its a silly idea being buried apart

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

S&F for the story.

From the perspective of an atheist, why would it matter? I mean from an atheist's perspective 'it all ends' with death ... does it not?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I like that they were able to be together AND make their final earthly statement something seriously educational for the rest of humanity. I'm sure they are happy together ... where ever they are.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Snarl

S&F for the story.

From the perspective of an atheist, why would it matter? I mean from an atheist's perspective 'it all ends' with death ... does it not?

That depends on the atheist. Atheist's CAN be spiritual, you know. We do have a beating heart, emotions, and we even bleed if we get a cut. So yes, stories like this one interest us too.

@OP: I think the lady made her point. Loud and clear.
edit on 2/9/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Klassified

Snarl

S&F for the story.

That depends on the atheist. Atheist's CAN be spiritual, you know. We do have a beating heart, emotions, and we even bleed if we get a cut. So yes, stories like this one interest us too.

@OP: I think the lady made her point. Loud and clear.
edit on 2/9/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

Klass, my good friend. Maybe you don't believe in God but everytime you brough light into a thread you also brought joy to Him.

That's the kind of atheist God likes

edit on 9-2-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Kinda symbolic of the division between different sects of the same religion...

I would have been more impressed if they tore down that part of the wall...

Sigh

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

i agree with Klassified that we atheists can be spiritual people. Me personally, the nearest thing to a "god" is Mother Nature...

new topics

top topics

join