It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your opinion on outsourcing jobs outside the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I've recently been hooked on the show, Shark Tank.

While watching the show, I've noticed that the investors (the sharks) always ask the business owners what the costs to make the product are... and the investors always recommend outsourcing the product in China, to lower the costs.

Many business owners are not invested in because they refuse to outsource jobs and want the American people to take all the jobs for their company....simply to give Americans jobs.

Can't blame businesses and investors for wanting to outsource. I would to if I was a small business owner. If it means more profit, then hell yea.

But...it definitely surely increases unemployment in the United States.

I was wondering what ATS thought of outsourcing.

What a dilemma it is.

edit on 8-2-2014 by CleanCare because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I don't like it. I live in an area that was known worldwide for it's textiles and furniture manufacturing, that's all gone now. They moved overseas with the rest of the businesses that seem to be fleeing like rats from a sinking ship.

That being said... businesses are in business to make money. I can argue all day long about whether it's right or it's wrong, but it isn't my business. They have the right to do whatever they want (within the law) to increase their profit margins. I have the right NOT to buy those products that were outsourced as well. It's easy for me to say that it may not be the most ethical thing to do in most cases, but again... I do not own a business and would not tell others how they must run their's.

It comes down to the almighty dollar. We can all not like it, but as long as they keep making profits it will not change.
edit on 2/9/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CleanCare

We once had tariffs that would make outsourcing less attractive to big business the economy was much stronger and so was the country. Someone had the bright idea to do away with them. For over a century the federal government was largely financed by tariffs averaging about 20% on foreign imports. Since 1935 tariff income has continued to be a declining percentage of Federal tax income. Big Buisness loves this and because of the global market and ease of transporting goods buisnesses will continue outsourcing until the complete collapse of the U.S.
edit on 9-2-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I think it's a derivative of greed. Hiring local talent is the best way to go in my opinion. I highly respect the people on that show who walk away from deals that would require them to outsource jobs. Money is not the only pay a business owner receives. The relationships formed with your employees can bring so much more happiness into your life than the money alone. That's my opinion as an entrepreneur who has outsourced in the past, before I knew better.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
It is not all about cheaper labor costs.

The Governments both Federal and State are running businesses out of town.

Record keeping, health and safety, licenses for this and that and everything. IRS / State taxes and the book keeping load to support them. You can't do this, you can't do that, does your product meet these 1,001 codes. Then there are the attitudes of disillusioned workers and getting sued by anyone etc etc, the list is near endless!

Who would want to run a small business!

It is far easier to send it overseas and get rid of a great many headaches.

The Government is killing small and medium business and all the big boys went overseas a long time ago.

Bye bye miss america pie!

P

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I think the people here need to learn to make things again.
Then we wouldn't have to outsource.

I didn't see that episode sorry but I thats best answer I have.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Nephalim

What caused them to "un-learn"?

Who's fault was it?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Here's a good article with outsourcing figures...

Total number of U.S. jobs offshore outsourced in 2013 - 2,637,239

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
There was a time where you could leave one job and get hired at another in the same day. I think it was two years ago where I read an article in the paper were 20 positions needed to be filled and 200 people applied. outsourcing jobs is great for the employer but not for the American citizen who needs to survive. Sad really!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

It's a dilemna because of our government. It shouldn't be one.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

xuenchen

Nephalim

What caused them to "un-learn"?

Who's fault was it?

Not sure its a total fault pointed in anyones direction at least from my view Xuen. We aren't exactly as hands on as we used to be. I think Semp and the other show hosts summed up our education system rather well the other night. Thats part of the issue right there.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The more jobs that get outsourced the less americans work...the less americans work,the less they spend. And we all know where that vicious cycle is leading our country. So how can outsourcing be anything close to a good idea?

Is it going to take the country going broke and stop spending money so the very companies that outsource go under because they cant sell anything because no one has money to buy their products, and the reason no one has money is because they lost their job to china.

So is business shooting itself in the foot?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JHumm

It won't matter to the ultra rich either way, because the more they outsource, the more the cost of local labor comes down. It's simple economics. Continually outsource jobs to 3rd world nations where people are willing to work for pennies a day and you make the local workforce expendable. Combine this with lax immigration laws in order to bring in cheap unskilled manual labor while lobbying to break down corporate barriers to maximize profits abroad and you have a winning globalist strategy that does 2 things:

1) Makes the rich richer and the poor poorer (while eliminating the middle class and subsequently an educated populace)

2) Destroys the local economic environment (thus finalizing a long cultivated dependency)

The only way to compete with this trend is to produce workers locally that have a superior work ethic who are also capable of producing a superior product. In some sectors this is still the case in the west, but the landslides in investment moneys will change that landscape continually (as they have done so all across the face of North American business thus far).

What you are seeing is a thinly veiled plan to dupe people into a one world currency, because eventually globalist policies will create such drastic issues locally that people will beg to be saved from their own self induced slavery. In complying with the comfort zones globalists have provided for them, people have essentially shackled themselves to the inevitable, and the inevitable is a global economic shock and awe which will have disastrous consequences for us in the long term. People will beg for it however, and bread and circuses will continue to be provided as we are herded towards the promise of a brighter and more "free" future.
edit on 9-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Obviously - or is it? The investors haven't thought of the long-term spin-off of outsourcing, most of which has been seen on Main Streets in US towns and cities. The same to be said for Canada, and I would imagine? the UK, Australia, and on and on.

I just don't get where gov'ts don't get that part-- or do they?

The TPP has sewn up the other side of the equation in my opinion - where foreign investors are not only purchasing businesses but firing local workers and bringing their own people in to work at lower wages, and only for the term of their employment - hence next to no spinoff benefit for the local economies/tax bases.

Its happening now in BC with a mine purchased by an East India-based corp. Local workers gone, foreigners brought in to work the mine for dollars less wages/hour.

How many ways can you spell bull-shat.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

It's painfully obvious. Read my post above. If you consider that the global economy will remain in it's current state, then large scale outsourcing doesn't make sense as a long term business solution. If we assume national currencies and economies will continue with previously understood trends (predicated on the greenback for instance), it would make more sense to invest in not only local education of the work force, but a tempering of the economic policies which have led to huge increases in inflation rates and predatory lending. Instead, we see the opposite trends, which are good indicators that people in the know (who have the REAL money) are anticipating a global depression and shifting their resources towards capitalization of future events. Future events entail a global currency, and people will love the idea once things get bad enough.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Hey I'm with you totally on this. My question of it being obvious was sarcastic. We tried to tell workers about it about 3 years ago but we were called liars and fear mongerers.
I wonder if its obvious yet because its 3 years later, its now happening, and yet we still don't read of it in the papers, or that tv news. And the average camper doesn't seem to have a freaking clue, and it appears to be a "full campground" of them.

I hope that last sentence never makes it to the literal meaning.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Cheers. If it makes you feel any better, people predicted the EU back in the 70's and they were called nut jobs back then (turns out they were right). Global currency is the agenda, and with it will come global government. I can't envision a scenario where the entire world agrees to be governed by one body, but does it really matter if the illusion of choice is provided and all the money sits in one coffer?

We know money = power, and the money is headed towards one currency. I'm not usually one to make predictions, but I would be shocked if we didn't see a global monetary unit introduced within the next 15 years.
edit on 9-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Outsourcing is possible because of the laws that exist in foreign countries.

Sure you can pay your fellow countrymen the bare minimum of wages, or you can abuse other countries laws where the costs of labor are a pittance compared to a locally produced workforce. A day's wages for a low paid US worker is equivalent to a month of wages in another country such as India.

And another bonus of outsourcing is you avoid those pesky health and safety laws and unions. Those in sweatshops don't have any rights, and if they do they are never made aware of them.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

We learned just a little of the history - it was all so mind-blowing. We attempted to keep it as basic and relevant to the future of everyones' employment. And their childrens' employment future, and so on.

Unfortunate most can't look past next month's rent.
Its a grand design they came up with to get this.
Hollywood turned it into several movies, calling it fiction. Job well done.

Keep up the talk!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Cost efficiency trumps quite a bit in the view of corporate execs...

This is one of the greatest "problems" or rather, dilemmas of current American companies. In effect, these companies have indeed done some good in outsourcing manufacturing, specifically, to China and East Southeast Asian countries. It has helped these countries tremendously in increasing their economic foundation and stability, ultimately the welfare of the people...

However, when it comes to China, specifically, they have so many people (1.4_+billion) that the per capita average wage is still very low, thus low welfare for its citizenry. In fact, when people say China "owns" the U.S., not only is that false, but in order for China's populace to be generally as "well off" as your average American citizen, their GDP would need to be triple, maybe even 4 to 5 times that of the U.S.

That being said...this outsourcing by many major U.S. companies HAS hurt the U.S., specifically, jobs. Right now, jobs are on a very close tight rope, and it isn't going to get much better any time soon methinks. By witholding these jobs from American citizens, at this point, is indeed not only a domestic problem, but international as it would affect prices of many products, international trade, and many of these country's economic stability, namely the ones we have highly outsourced to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join