It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quote This

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Only replying to a post generates an auto-bbc url (which links to the replied to post) within the post form textarea.

I would like quoted posts to also have auto-bbc urls generated for them.

The reason being, I often like to see what post someone is quoting, but having to search for it on google, or through previous thread posts, is a bit tedious.

Thanks for your consideration.

edit on 2/8/2014 by Bleeeeep because: reworded for clarity

edit on 2/8/2014 by Bleeeeep because: reworded again

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Bleeeeep
Only replying to a post generates an auto-bbc url (which links to the replied to post) within the post form textarea.

The reason being, I often like to see what post someone is quoting, but having to search for it on google, or through previous thread posts, is a bit tedious.

Thanks for your consideration.

edit on 2/8/2014 by Bleeeeep because: reworded for clarity

edit on 2/8/2014 by Bleeeeep because: reworded again

Do you see how the quotation of the above post does not link back to the quoted post itself? I would like for it to do so, so I can easily find posts that people have quoted from.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Yepperdinkle deeodle!! I hate scrolling through walls of text ... and I think that's why some folks quote the whole of what they're replying to. Also, if you just hit reply, and haven't copied something to quote ...

Suffice it to say, your suggestion would be a definite improvement.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

If it is quoted, why would you need to see the original?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

ChuckNasty

see the original?

People break apart posts while quoting them in order to reply point by point, or often times, only a point they want to address, and in doing so, it often makes things out of context.

Also, it is good to be able to thoroughly track a conversation, in its entirety, between two people or more people, to its origin.

p.s. I misquoted you only to show an example.
edit on 2/9/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Yeah, people like to hen pick quoted stuff. Guess that is why I include it in its entirety...most of the time.

But if someone is quoting a portion of a convo, all that matters is what they quoted IMO.

It does make sense to include the main link, just as if one just hits reply instead of quote.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

A single sentence out of context can change the meaning of the post -- I see people arguing about it all of the time.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
i have never really cared about this, but have often wondered why it was not so.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Don't agree with the theory "A single sentence out of context can change the meaning of the post ". Some people are only quoting the relevant sentence, not an entire location where they found the line. The rest of the source may have been totally irrelevant and unrelated to the topic it addressed.

I venture a guess to say 99% of everything quoted here...would (if analyzed from its source) is somewhat out of context by the very nature that it is a quote. And youre asking to have the entire area/post/book/video/article presented so you can read it?

Examples:
Quote from a U.S. President? You want to read the entire speech it came from for the context?
Quote taken from the Bible? You want to read the entire chapter?
Quote taken from a single sentence taken from the U.S. Constitution? You want to read the entire Constitution?
Quote taken from an Encyclopedia? You want to read the entire section/topic its taken from?

Ok. To use me here as an example? I will quote myself...."Some people are only quoting the relevant sentence, not the entire location where they found the line".

So? Was it really necessary for you to read this entire post-reply to see what I meant in the 2nd sentence where it came from?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Bleeeeep

Something like this?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I didn't mean that quotes cannot be broken up, just that if you hit the quote button, it auto generates a url similar to how reply to does.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I am not sure how to implement it. I think, above all, it should be intuitive to the reader, but it needs to be user friendly to the poster as well...

Your example is somewhat intuitive to the reader, being that everyone knows what a link looks like, but the actual bb code might get in the way of the poster while they're trying to break apart quotes (as to reply, point by point, to the user they're quoting).

Since the quotes I'm addressing are in reply to the person they are quoting, maybe it would work to just put the standard "reply to post by" at the top of any post that is quoting in reply to another?

I don't want a lot of code work, so anything that is easy for the coder, reader, and poster, would be fine with me. I mean, I am not trying to make a fuss, and I'm not asking for anything pretty -- I just want links to the posts people are quoting from.
edit on 2/9/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join