It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland glacier hits record speed

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

In summer, the Jakobshavn Glacier - widely thought to have spawned the iceberg that sank the Titanic - is moving about four times faster than it was in the 1990s.

The Greenland Ice Sheet has seen record melting in recent years and would raise sea levels 6m were it all to vanish.

Details of the research are published in The Cryosphere journal...

"We know that from 2000 to 2010 this glacier alone increased sea level by about 1mm. With the additional speed it likely will contribute a bit more than this over the next decade," said Ian Joughin.

As the Arctic region warms, Greenland glaciers have been thinning and calving (releasing) icebergs further and further inland. This means that, even though the glacier is flowing towards the coast and

Greenland glacier hits record speed

How can people scoff at global warming because of recent polar vortex phenomena?

This was all forecast by global warming scenarios.

The movie "The Day After Tomorrow" was even made based on this.

How fast people forget.

I recommend you go watch it.

It also predicted monster storms the likes of Haiyan.

I don't know whether conspiracy websites are just chockfull of contrary people with an obsession to appear more intelligent than the rest or if its just the herd mentality.

Maybe you prefer national geographic.

Anyway, this is really happening; I wish it wasn't.

edit on 8-2-2014 by reject because: readability

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
And when was the last time that glacier moved at "record speed" ?

And offering fictitious movies is hardly evidence is it!

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

You actually refrenced..."the day after tomrrow" Ok. There would have to be a massive desalinization for such a thing to be possible and it would have to be relatively sudden. Then If would have to change the currents in the ocean which is highly unlikely. The movie is a worse case scenario movie meaning its highly unlikely and you have better odds getting hit by a asteroid. The oceans and ice have always changed positions on earth. Its a natural occurance. remember those things called ice ages? and they eventually thawed out them selves(no manmade CO2 to help mind you) Earth is not a static place. it is human arrogance to think they control the planets temperature.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

edit on 8-2-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Last couple of years Greenland saw some of its warmest temperatures, of course, from global warming. This ice melt then disrupts the gulf stream, hence, the unbelievable weather the UK has been suffering through.

Melting Glaciers Could Disrupt Warm Gulf Stream Currents
Among the greatest fears scientists have about global warming is that it will cause the massive ice fields of Greenland and other locales at the northern end of the Gulf Stream to melt rapidly, sending surges of cold water into the ocean system and interrupting the flow of the Ocean Conveyor Belt. One doomsday scenario is that such an event would stop or disrupt the whole Ocean Conveyor Belt system, plunging Western Europe into a new ice age without the benefit of the warmth delivered by the Gulf Stream.

Gulf Stream May Affect Climate Change Worldwide
“The possibility exists that a disruption of the Atlantic currents might have implications far beyond a colder northwest Europe, perhaps bringing dramatic climatic changes to the entire planet,” says Bill McGuire, a geophysical hazards professor at University College London’s

How are global warming and gulf stream connected?

I believe we are definitely seeing this with the cold winter blasts in certain parts of the world, while the other parts that aren't suffering the cold are experiencing much warmer than usual tempts. There's no in between any more.

From the article;

Gulf Stream Disruption Could Freeze Europe and North America
Computer models simulating ocean-atmosphere climate dynamics indicate that the North Atlantic region would cool between three and five degrees Celsius if Conveyor circulation were totally disrupted. “It would produce winters twice as cold as the worst winters on record in the eastern United States in the past century,” says Robert Gagosian of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

That is some scary speed for this subject. If it is moving 3 times faster than the 90s whats next? 6 times faster. How long till the whole damn thing slides into the ocean and melts.

This isn't good.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Rezlooper
the unbelievable weather the UK has been suffering through.

I'm in the UK and its wet, very wet, its windy too.
I'm approaching 60 and I can remember many winters just like this one, unfortunately most people dont bother to use their memory, they just stare at the box of lies and let it tell them what to believe.
There's nothing out of the ordinary going on, its all quite normal.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by reject

That is some scary speed for this subject. If it is moving 3 times faster than the 90s whats next? 6 times faster. How long till the whole damn thing slides into the ocean and melts.

This isn't good.

It could just as easily be six times slower! In fact thats the most likely scenario.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Unbelievable weather we've been through? Mildest winter I've ever experienced in my 30 years on this planet. I went out the other day in just a jumper, and was almost too warm.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
So let me get this straight.
The artic vortex stuff is a result of global warming?

Its cold, because its warmer?

Call me a skeptic, however I thought it was cold because it is winter...

hmmm

Much more research must be done, oh look Snowmegedon and Sharknado are going to be on SciFi channel

Let the research begin

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

VoidHawk

Rezlooper
the unbelievable weather the UK has been suffering through.

I'm in the UK and its wet, very wet, its windy too.
I'm approaching 60 and I can remember many winters just like this one, unfortunately most people dont bother to use their memory, they just stare at the box of lies and let it tell them what to believe.
There's nothing out of the ordinary going on, its all quite normal.

LOL, you guys crack me up with all your downplay.

You do realize that 80 mph winds are hurricane force? How many times now this winter alone have you had a hurricane? The UK has had more hurricanes than the Atlantic, lol. But, of course, this is all completely normal. Floods are normal. 60 foot waves are normal. Thousands without power are normal. 150-year old sea walls washed away are normal. Heavy snow storms are normal. This is the second year in a row of increasingly extreme weather for UK.

In this story below it says that these storms are being compared to one year, yes, that's right...one year - 1987. So, maybe that's the year you remember, but I doubt you remember all those years when the weather was like this.

Warning of a 'danger to life' remains in place

A few highlights

ACC Netherton said: "What has caught us by surprise is the strength of the wind and the direction. I would compare it to the storm of 1987, it has had a significant impact."

Police received 400 calls about weather related incidents and 80 trees came down in Devon alone.

This morning there were 76 flood warnings and 213 flood alerts also in place, covering every area of England and Wales.

The bad weather comes as much of the South West continues to recover from wettest January on record.

In Dawlish a 30 metre section of coastal wall was washed away along with part of a platform from the railway which runs along the seafront.

Western Power Distribution said that their engineers had been working non stop and were attempting to restore power as quickly as possible. A spokesman for the company said 75-80mph winds had caused "airborne debris" to fly into overhead lines.

In Berry Head, Devon, gusts of 91mph were recorded, whilst the Isle of Scilly recorded winds of 92mph last night.

And, this is just one of may storms that have battered you guys and you're forecasted for another one right after this one. Same story for the Northeastern United States and other parts of Europe as well. Here is a thread about the coast of Portugal getting pounded lately.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You guys and your 'everything is normal' BS make yourselves look ridiculous when its obvious that things are a bit off. With that claim, you're making your side of the argument look like you have nothing left to argue on. If you'd at least admit that things may be off a bit and then ask the important questions of why, it would look a little better for your side. Admitting that things are off doesn't mean you're admitting that it was man-made global warming that caused it, but to say that nothing is wrong here, what are we all arguing about is plain silly. Just my my opinion anyways.

What's happening? Greenland ice melt is disrupting the Gulf Stream which is causing extreme weather in parts of Europe and North America.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

Its called Weather

We had a real hurricane back in 87 I think? and we've not had ANYTHING that resembled that.
We used to have a saying in the uk "If there's one thing you can rely on, its that you cant rely on the british weather"
Sadly now days as soon as the wind blows or it rains for more than a couple of days the media revs up with alarmist bs and claims that we've never seen weather like this before.

My local paper just last week was showing pictures just like those in your post, they were from the 40's, but everyones forgotten about that, thay want this new shiny reality that makes it all sound exciting.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Rezlooper
Last couple of years Greenland saw some of its warmest temperatures, of course, from global warming. This ice melt then disrupts the gulf stream, hence, the unbelievable weather the UK has been suffering through.

Good call..

I also remember something about the chemicals like Corexit after the Gulf Oil spill being a risk factor for ruining those currents..

And, it is rather funny how the people laugh at global warming:
1. when it IS winter, and the storms only break records that are less than 50 years old.
2. The Global Warming people STATED that MORE harsh winters would be part of it.
3. and areas in the southwest have had a VERY warm winter this year..

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Rezlooper
You do realize that 80 mph winds are hurricane force? How many times now this winter alone have you had a hurricane? The UK has had more hurricanes than the Atlantic, lol. But, of course, this is all completely normal. Floods are normal. 60 foot waves are normal. Thousands without power are normal. 150-year old sea walls washed away are normal. Heavy snow storms are normal. This is the second year in a row of increasingly extreme weather for UK.
I have to ask, where are you getting all this from? I live on the coast I havent seen anything that could be describd as a hurricane!
Snow storms? I havent seen a single flake!
A section of a 150 year sea wall falls over, well, thats because its 150 years old, it should have been replaced years ago.
Extreme weather!!! Dude are you getting all this from US tv?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

HanzHenry

And, it is rather funny how the people laugh at global warming:
The Global Warming people STATED that MORE harsh winters would be part of it.
The Global warming people have stated EVERY possible scenario so that they cant be proven wrong!
If we have good weather its because of global warming.
If we have bad weather its because of global warming.

Tell me, what kind of weather can we have that isnt caused by global warming???

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Not this garbage being rolled out again. It's Greenland right? It's not bloody Whiteland. How do you think Greenland got it's name? God this garbage is stupid, is anyone of the warmers over the age of 20? Your metorologist can't even get this weeks weather correct, let alone the next hundred years. Pathetic.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My input on global warming is... Do we really think that what humans are doing has an effect greater than what already occurs in nature? Some volcanoes and steam vents release gas non stop into the atmosphere. If humans are having an impact how do we know. Maybe 150 years of recorded temperatures might indicate warming but wouldn't you expect the planet to warm after an ice age? Now if we are having an effect what do we do? If humans are upsetting the natural way of things what the hell do we do? No one will EVER stop polluting even if it meant killing the earth it's what humans do consume and make waste, then find more to consume. Even if every leader said stop humans will still pollute the planet. What gets me about GW/climate change screamers is what do you suppose we do if we have harmed the planet. Any affects of a change that we start today will only start to impact generations down the line and would you not drive today so your great grand kid could drive? Of course not and no one will and it's silly to think we would actually fix the planet if we damaged it. Humans don't fix anything it's not our nature.
edit on 8-2-2014 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

If we have good weather its because of global warming.
If we have bad weather its because of global warming.

Tell me, what kind of weather can we have that isnt caused by global warming???

Perhaps you are looking at things the wrong way or have been misinformed.

GW is about Climate

Weather is generally a localized and describes a short period of time. Climate encompasses all the weather for long durations of time.

Knowing the difference between the terminology literally makes all the difference in the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

13th Zodiac
reply to post by reject

Not this garbage being rolled out again. It's Greenland right? It's not bloody Whiteland. How do you think Greenland got it's name? God this garbage is stupid, is anyone of the warmers over the age of 20? Your metorologist can't even get this weeks weather correct, let alone the next hundred years. Pathetic.

How Greenland got its Name Erik the Red was very good at raiding and pillaging. Although history is somewhat sketchy, it is believed that he discovered Greenland after being sent away from Iceland in exile. This was rumored to have been his punishment for committing murder. He was able to settle in Greenland and survive there for several years. Finally, his exile was ended and he found that he wanted to settle the island more fully. For that, he needed to convince others to come with him. Erik the Red is believed to have lived from circa 950 to 1003CE.
Of course, when you tell someone that they will be travelling with you to a place that is barren, cold and inhospitable you may have trouble convincing even a Viking to come with you. So instead, Erik (according to popular legend) called the island Greenland and instead painted the island as being a wonderful place to settle.

There are other theories as to how Greenland got its name. One theory is that the “green” in Greenland is actually a translation error. The word “grunt” actually means ground and it could be that Greenland was meant to be named Gruntland (or ground land).

Now you know how Greenland got its name.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by VoidHawk
Knowing the difference between the terminology literally makes all the difference in the world.
Yep, and spotting bs makes all the difference too.

Just take a look up ^^^ there at what some people have been told about the weather we've been having.
"More hurricanes than the US"
And they beleive all this stuff too!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join