It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it weren't for bad luck--- take care of yourselves!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by canadiansenior70

I can empathize with needing the right personal care items. I have not had to cath yet and I am hoping once this tumor is removed, I won't have to, but was already advised I will likely in the future have to self cath.

I work in a hospital as a secretary and EKG monitor tech, so I was able to get my hands on a good bladder and bowel training program for neurogenic bladder, which I was diagnosed with.

This has helped immensely, but I always have protection for those unexpected cases that ultimately happen. It decreased the amount of accidents, and also pain from an overly full bladder that I could not feel. I also learned how to use certain muscles to assure an empty bladder, and that also helped.

Hoping the once the tumor is removed, it will relieve some pressure from my bladder, and allow it to hold more. Not certain if the nerve damage is permanent, or not. I am being hopeful, in any event.

Where I work, we don't put diapers on patients out of convenience, or because of being short staffed. It isn't even allowed.

We had a new patient care tech, and I overheard her telling a patient that they had on a diaper, just go in the diaper, and we will change you. No way! We don't work like that here. We strive to try to give as much dignity as possible, and if the patient would prefer to get up, then, by God, they get up! The same tech was eventually fired, because she kept telling patients the same thing.

Also, when a new patient comes in, we document any pressure sores, and those are addressed immediately. If the patient develops them in our care, which is VERY rare, then the cost of healing and care falls on us, because we caused it. As should be the case for your hospital/rehab.

As I said, if you need things, please U2U me. We can make sure you get the right diapers, since they are so expensive, having ones you won't use is so costly. It is best to stock up, too, just for times like this.

So, diapers, tape, anything else, I would be happy to help you, if you want.

My husband does the shopping, because I cannot, so I know what its like not having the right things, especially underthings, to wear. It's uncomfortable, as well as just inconvenient.

I'm sorry you are alone, though. Wish I was closer, I would come stay with you a bit if I could. Watch some movies or something.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

You know what? I thought I was replying to you in this post: Link
...But it applies to you, and sterling, and so many others who have posted!

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Would you be able to tape them closed loosely,
& then put them on & retape them tighter?
Just a thought, don't know if it would work?

Another case of someone not having ever been through it, but...
if she was with you when it happened the first time, she should have been aware!!!
I hate product packaging, that doesn't have enough differences between the different kinds!!!
Especially the older I get, & the worse my eyesight gets, AND the more varieties they have!

Call the company & suggest better labeling on their packages.
If both of you goofed, there must be other people that it happened to too!
Maybe they will send you a coupon for a free package! (I can dream, can't I?)

Hope everything goes smoothly for you 'til Tuesday!
WOQ

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
So much demonstations of will power over the crush of life! You've all inspired me, so for that thankyou!

I'm also in the disabled club, so might as well share a short version of myself. I ended up with a condition called Syringomyelia, which is like a cyst inside my spinal cord. It causes me tonnes of pain (still to this day, but I do all I can to ignore it) and when time for surgery came, I ended up in a wheelchair...

Anyhoo, that's not important, because when I was in the spinal rehab hospital I met a young man who changed my life. I am bloody thankful for the injuries I've sustained in comparison to him.

He was brought in a few days after me, a young polite guy who on his 16th birthday was celebrating with his family around and accidentally fell of the 2nd story deck of his house.
Not to be crass, but all that he was, or would ever be was just a head. His eye's would strain to look far enough over to speak to me. But, he never complained. His strength just made me stronger and gives me pause to think of my minor problems compared to him. I watched his family sobbing uncontrollably outside the hospital and trying to be strong, turning pages over in his dirt-bike magazines for him changed their lives as much as his. I wish I could go back in time and get his details because I'd love to see how he is doing.

Just a head, but an entire man of courage and inspiration. If you ever come across this, I love you mate and hope your well and thanks for the inspiration! (royal talbot rehab, around 2004)

Anyways, talking of being hit by cars, please OP check out the thread in my signature about Sophie Delezio For an uplifting story of a young girl who's suffered horrific injuries after being hit by two cars on two occasions, yet has the will power of 1000 men. She's another inspiration to me.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thank you Libertygal,,,,--for your input. I am so sorry to hear of your problems too. I read your other thread about medical payments etc. and it sounds horrendous.

Your work place sounds diligent, as I was flabbergasted that this could happen in Canada. My wounds, as I am wont to call them, or pressure sores, began with the brace in hospital. I was to be tended to daily. NOT! Some nurses were not even familiar with the brace and refused to deal with it, and one even said it was not in his Union Contract. I had only my Rehab gal, who wasn’t there very day, to advocate for me, as I still couldn’t see what was going on. Then I was transferred to Rehab and the negligence continued. It was more like once per week as opposed to daily. I didn’t know until I was home how open my sores/wounds were.

It is so great of you to take the time out to respond to me and make those offers.

I have to wonder about time and crossing the border charges. I have an email in to my other gal who comes Tuesday, but will call her to double check and she could bring supplies then.

Thank you new_here------I thought you might be replying to me but then it did say stirling, because his post was worth the read, too.

Thank you WOQ------I too thought that she ought to have remembered, but again I gave the benefit of the doubt to her, as the packaging was too similar. I plan on contacting the manufacturer about that. I thought of loose tape, then tighten as you suggested.

Hello Qumulys----- I’ve noticed over the years that the younger the person, that a disabling injury is taken better than with an ‘older’ person, established with house, home and family. The younger person, I’ve noticed generally has parents, friends, other family around for more support than those who have moved on to tend to ’their own camp’. Such was the issue with me and my grown established 4 siblings, i.e one sister and one brother came to see me but once in my first “1-year hospitalization’. They appeared to take no interest in my recovery etc.

CS70

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hi!!!
Just checking in to see how everything is going?!
WOQ

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

wasobservingquietly
Hi!!!
Just checking in to see how everything is going?!
WOQ

Thanks woq,

It is so great when others take an interest, have a care about another. I boosted me into trying harder.

I remembered a "Drinks Delivered" Service here, so I called, ordered a bottle of wine, and since they do other stops, I sent them to a Drugstore for my Depends, one that carried the right kind. Problem solved. Delivered right to my door on a Sunday.

Then my shoulder aches: they bothered me almost more than the broker leg. I opened a little cupboard and saw my Rx for Effexor and took one, also Gabapentin (anxiety and nerve pain respectively). Aches gone.

I think I mentioned that any of my meds from before were not on the list to give to me in hospital, so I expect I went through withdrawal. Diazepam was the first I asked for from my doctor, as it was the one I had been on longest, ...since 1970.

So for today, anyway, I feel almost human, and less anxious about life and why lies head.

Thanks again for asking

CS70

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

That's so great that there is a service like that available!
It's amazing that they would stop somewhere else too!
Not so many like that left anymore!

We do have a 'mom & pop' grocery that will deliver orders once a week,
& a drugstore that delivers. But only things that they sell there.

So glad you are feeling better!!!

WOQ

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I'm on gabapentin and that stuff is expensive!! There is a card I use because I don't have medical coverage but still it's not cheap, especially when there are others meds to pay for.

Just dropped in to see how you were doing.

edit on 11-2-2014 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thanks, night star, for dropping in,

The plan, Canadian, I am on is a good one. Fair Pharmacare. I pay about $200 come the first of each year, and after that the price drops considerably, so that it's about $20.00 for 3 months of Gab'n. All my Rxs are covered, and if the Dr. wants a new one for me, he sees to it that it is also covered. For the last few months of the year I am generally paying nothing.

Having my meds straightened around, and having panty Depends, has eased my mind, and my aching shoulders, a lot.

Thanks again

edit on 11-2-2014 by canadiansenior70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Glad that you are doing better.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Stopping in to check, as well.

Glad things are better! That put a smile on my face. Sometimes feeling bad about feeling bad can just make things worse. I am glad you got over the hump. It helps knowing others care, even if fron afar. Glad, too, you got your needs covered. That's just so important for a sense of well being and comfort. It makes all the other pieces fall into place.

I will be having my surgery Feb. 26, at 9 am to have likely my left ovary and an unknown tumor removed and sent to pathology. Hopefully, this will make my walking problems a little less bothersome. My pain doctor has already given me my post op meds, 50 mcg Fentanyl patches. 10 patches, with insurance cost me 158.00, and this will be on top of the Dilaudid and Soma I already take every 6 hours for pain.

Stay well, and stay comfortable, and keep us updated!

How is the wound treatment coming along now?

Thinking about you.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Thank you so much for stopping by. It is so nice to be thought of.

I certainly hope that your surgery goes well and that the tumour is benign. Is the cost covered? Boy! The meds are expensive! Have you any idea how long you will be ‘laid up’? Do you have sick pay?

Wound Care and all are coming along slowly but well, as far as I can see, as one wound wraps around the back of my ankle and is out of sight. I’ve seen pictures that have been taken but haven’t seen that one ‘live’.

Going through drug withdrawal wasn’t nice, and it took me long enough to recognize the symptoms. Being back on them has alleviated the muscle tension/aches, the anxiety and the nerve pain.

Take care may all go well for you. I’ll be thinking of you!

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Well, if all goes well, it is supposed to be a day surgery. Not sure how long I will be out of work, a week or two, maybe, at most. I have an Extended Illness bank for time off, as long as my first day of missed work is in the hospital, so I arranged for surgery to be on a workday. So yes, I will get paid, just not the shift differenetial for nights, but that's ok.

I have to pay about 850.00 up front to the doctor before surgery, to meet my part of the 2600.00 medical deductible. That will be due the 24 of Feb, before surgery, and he won't operate unless I pay.

Luckily, I think I still have most, if not all, on the pre-loaded debit insurance card, though Ibhave been usin it for meds. From here on out, everythin else will be out of pocket, except what deposits get made to the card twice monthly, which is almost 70.00 from my pay every two weeks. Not much.

The hospital will just have to take payments, but, that will use up the rest of my deductible before the end of Feb, so, the rest of the year will be 90/10.

Got to get ready for work. Haven't been able to sleep today, for some reason. Just been restless.

Have a good night!

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Hi!
Just checking in to see how everything is going.
I'm thinking about you, even if I don't get to post!
WOQ

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thanks woq, and Hi All,

A new development:
Yesterday my therapist removed my brace for a 2 hour period and did some passive therapy (as well we watched the Y&R together) There was no pain, but it came later in the night. The night took quite a while to ‘build a comfortable nest’, I slept. Come this a.m. more pain and I have the brace off on my own. There is pain but there is less without the straps ‘locking it in’.

The Wound Care nurse said my wounds are healing well…

Which brings about new chores for me, to go INto the clinic for wound care, and move around with no brace after just 2 months of healing. I am not to have aggressive therapy, nor to bear weight on that leg. So far so good…just let the leg dangle as I work with my arms and other leg, which is ½ paralyzed. Some sight!

Sometimes it seems that when I 'complain', things look up! Odd!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

So glad things are improving!
Just being able to have that brace off for a little while, would be a relief I would think.
'Baby steps' so to speak! Ha, ha!
That's what we like to hear!
So much better than one step forward & two back!

Have a good weekend!!!
WOQ

I watched Y & R for at least 30 years!
It was the only one I did watch.
I started when I was pregnant with our second child.

I was so tired when pregnant with our daughter,
that I would give our 2 year old son his lunch at a 'kiddie table' in the living room,
so I could stretch out on the couch while he ate!
Back then there weren't all day cartoon or children's channels on TV.
But if I timed things just right, Y & R would be on! Lol!

I tried to keep up with it until about 2 years ago,
when everyone started playing musical spouses,
& the same small group of people kept getting divorced,
& remarrying each other! Or so it seemed!

That's about the same time the children aged 10 years overnight too! Ha, ha!
But now if I eat lunch at that time, I usually do it in front of the computer!!!
I wonder what that says about me??? Ha, ha!
edit on 22-2-2014 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Thanks woq

Well, Y&R and computer are certainly distractions--

I left Y&R in April 2010, and only just picked it up again.....and , yes, the 'babies' of 2010 are now so fast-forwarded in age, I cannot believe it!. I, too, am always at the computer. What does that say about me (you) (us)? Well we can be versatile, know how to fill our hours when need be.....the computer being filled with infinite knowledge!

( I just found a site with Alfred Hitchcock's originals. Some interesting to see my 'old friends' now deceased, alive and well and acting....wearing the clothing and hairstyles that I wore/saw in the '50s/'60s)

I think I'll just wear the brace for overnight, as I could move in my sleep and re-break the new bone, says my therapist, so will go with her knowledge -- but while awake I feel more confident. and less encumbered.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Hi lgal

I am thinking of you and wondering how it all goes! I trust it is well and good, with no hitches.

I hope you see, as I don't know how to send a personal note!

God Bless
CS70

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Do any of you ever do anything stupid, like 'off the wall', but not totally dangerous when it comes to pain?

I went to bed abut 9:00 pm and no sleep came, because of the night before being pained filled and the sleep came during today, then, for tonight, the pain began but I had taken my meds. I finally, in pain still, got out of bed, about 11:30, to computer and odd movies/shows, drank half a bottle of wine, took my meds again, about 1:00 a.m. followed by a can of chicken soup.

Admitting this make me feel stupid, but it doesn't seem dangerous to me.........just a way to kill the pain and then go to bed and maybe finally sleep. I am useless without my sleep.

Now it's 2:20 a.m. and the pain is gone so I'm off to bed to sleep..............hopefully.

At least I don't have to get up to go to work, nor have to make anyone's breakfast.

Just rambling

night night

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join