It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Province of BC will no longer posecute prostitution charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Announced Friday, in Vancouver BC, the government has decided that in keeping with the recent SC decision that the current laws are unconstitutional.....it will no longer prosecute these cases.....
Other provinces have also made such announcements as well......Ontario,New Brunswick, Newfoundland ,Alberta.....
Prosecutions will continue against pimps, bawdy Houses, and cases where the woman or man is being exploited.
If this is unconstitutional, I am wandering what other laws governing the human bodys treatment by its owner, may also be struck down.....
Any Ideas folks?
edit on 8-2-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

What was struck down?

Can you give link to a story?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I would rather see them not prostitute prosecutions myself. Money can buy your way out of a crime.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Star for that twister Ricky,
But the point of the thread is more about opening the door to other Supreme |Court Challenges to laws which govern what we can and cannot do with our own persons.....
The wedge opens up certain discussions as to what the government can legislate or enact concerning our personal bodies and who owns them ..................see my gist?
If the government has no right to legislate against prostitution because of the constitution, then we must have certain rights to our own bodies....
I think this may include the governments overreaching anti drug or even anti medicine laws...
In other worlds we have a right to treat our bodies as we will without ANY government legislation at all!
The government is in error and is ultra virs in its demanding to regulate anything to do with our persons....thusly a number of laws should be struck down, not just the prostitution laws.
I hope theres a constitutional lawyer out there.....

(thanks for the link, mate)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Didnt our government say that it would stop prosecution for weed? And yet they seem to be going after it even harder...like the cop that got shot while doing a no knock raid for weed?

How many people agree that victimless crimes should be left alone?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I tend to agree with your statement......the constitutionality of some laws seems open to challenge with the ruling on hooking...no?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is the proper course of action.

Stop demonizing and criminalizing sex between consenting adults. The problems that exist within prostitution and human trafficking are the result of the black market created by puritan governments.

I'm glad that NB started this, it shows progression in my home province I would not have expected.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
good on BC, any citizen should have full sovereign right over their body and what they choose to do with it.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I was surprised and proud when the same was announced in my own province, I think it's a fantastic thing for personal liberty.

The focus of law enforcement needs to be on preventing minors and other vulnerable types from being taken advantage of by pimps and organized crime, not on persecuting a grown adult for practicing what is, after all, the world's oldest profession. I never saw the wisdom of putting a woman in prison for using her God given assets in whatever way she sees fit.

I don't foresee the social taboo against it ever going away, but legislating morality is always a very stupid thing to do, mostly because it never works.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

This is only the tip of the iceburg. Im sure that brothels and red light districts will come soon to bc. BC's beloved activist Mark Emery will be back home in bc in august. This whole prostitution thing just opened the door and make it that much easier for Mark Emery and the rest bc to legalise marijuana.

I am proud that our province is falling suit. Those girls and guys need protection from the government. Maybe now there will be no more Willy picktons out there.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Perhaps the depth of what I am saying escapes notice.....but I see this as a breakthrough that could potentially cause a groundswell of demands for our rightful ownership of our own minds and bodies....
A demand that governments stop social engineering us......
The governments are no longer responsive to the people they govern.....
Our place at the head of the line has been shifted to last in line....
The corporate structure was tolerated by the people in return for service to the people...now we are living the opposite situation and its time we got our own back from these fakers....

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Prostitution should have been decriminalised long ago, after all it's the oldest profession on the planet! As to brothels and massage parlour's opening up all over the place, well it is a growth industry, just keep them in the one area and police them in the correct manner. It works for Amsterdam, Holland and there are having to close down jails simply because they just don't have the criminals!

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Lets not get stuck in the pro or cons of prostitution.....
The point of the thread, you blockheads is the opening wedge in the challenge to the constitutionality of government being able to legislate what we can and cannot do with our personal body......
There are other JUST as intrusive laws which seem as odious as the prostitution laws....perhaps we have a chance here to roll back government overreach.....but naw lets talk about the prostitution instead...pffft

new topics

top topics

join