It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Advanced Alien Civilizations Would Conquer the Galaxy - Fermi paradox -

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes if you ever read the Arthur C Clark sci fi novel (whatever you may think of the man as somebody told me something, it may be slander though so I will not repeat it here) "THE SONGS OF DISTANT EARTH" it talks about maybe even one day an advanced civilisation using them to rebuild the stars and even make new one's giving the universe a rebirth so in that scenario entropy lost.

edit on 8-2-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

I like Sir Arthur C Clarke. Much respect.

I haven't yet read everything from the man. But I do whenever I get my hands on his stuff.

A great round table discussion

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Hi There Slayer
Speaking of harnessing energy of the Sun and being a Civ type 1 or 2

Let See How Deep We can go on this ..

Sonoluminescence
en.wikipedia.org...

In 1989 an experimental advance was introduced by Felipe Gaitan and Lawrence Crum, who produced stable single-bubble sonoluminescence (SBSL).[citation needed] In SBSL, a single bubble trapped in an acoustic standing wave emits a pulse of light with each compression of the bubble within the standing wave. This technique allowed a more systematic study of the phenomenon, because it isolated the complex effects into one stable, predictable bubble . It was realized that the temperature inside the bubble was hot enough to melt steel.[citation needed] Interest in sonoluminescence was renewed when an inner temperature of such a bubble well above one million kelvins was postulated.[citation needed] This temperature is thus far not conclusively proven; rather, recent experiments conducted by the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign indicate temperatures around 20000 K.[

Temperature inside collapsing bubble four times that of sun

James E. Kloeppel, Physical Sciences Editor
217-244-1073; kloeppel@illinois.edu
news.illinois.edu...

Using Sound Waves To Induce Nuclear Fusion With No External Neutron Source
Date:
January 31, 2006
Source:
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Summary:
A team of researchers has used sound waves to induce nuclear fusion without the need for an external neutron source, according to a paper in the Jan. 27 issue of Physical Review Letters. The results address one of the most prominent questions raised after publication of the team's earlier results in 2004, suggesting that "sonofusion" may be a viable approach to producing neutrons for a variety of applications.
www.sciencedaily.com...

think on that for a bit .. but in a Massive Scale !! With a Vacuum!

???? HMMM ???? Sonic Boom Sound wave type Frequency ... ???

Cherenkov radiation
en.wikipedia.org...

The Dyson Sphere theory is interesting ... but wouldn't a Star/Sun Need to Breathe ? Expel! ..

And I thought the Venus Canopy aka thick Atmosphere was Bad !

well Im still checking this out..

if there was some way we could !

We Wouldn't Accomplished this in our life time nor probably in a thousand years either
but this is the first Step we would have to take ON OUR OWN that is

Megascale engineering
en.wikipedia.org...

Astroengineering
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 9-2-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

iRoyalty

Oh yeah, Spoiler alert lol

@ssho!e
I wanted to watch it :/

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

As always you seem to post very interesting and informative replies.

Thank you.

Now, The Big question...

Should we spend even more on this type of search?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I don't like the idea of those spheres, all that heat, ultra violet, radiation, all being trapped inside, just does not make sense to me, no wind to spread the heat around, atmosphere full of water vapour, nah, just wont work.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
my 2 cents...a type 3 civilization might use the jetsam stream of charged particles emanating from the a galaxies centered black hole. I have seen studies of these streams where the output is massive and the stream's size is measured in hundreds, if not thousands of light years. a single star system's power would be too small for the amount of energy needed. thus, their energy source would be black holes, as it relates to our type 0 civilization's star sunlight.
edit on 9-2-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2014 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
There are many problems with a Dyson Sphere that would be hard to overcome:

Drift: any shell built around a star would have a problem remaining centered on it's own around that star. It would eventually drift until the star collided with the inside surface of the shell.

Gravity: Anything placed on the inside surface of the shell would not stay there, but would fall in towards it's star. While the total mass of the shell itself would be enough for gravity, because it's a hollow sphere, any area on the inside of it's surface would not have enough mass in any one spot to keep something there.

Material: having enough material to build such a structure is problematic. Even if you used all the mass that we know of in our solar system (IE planets, moons, asteroids, etc), may not be enough to build a enclosed shell around the sun with a radius out to about 93 million miles or so.

One of the best compromise that I've seen for a megastructure like this would a be a ring instead of a sphere:

Larry Niven's Ringworld

Imagine instead of a sphere, you build a ring around the sun, in the same orbital distance. Make the ring about 1 million miles wide (meaning 1 million miles from north to south if it helps to visualize that), with walls built up from the edge of the ring about 1,000 miles high.

Now spin the ring at 770 miles per second.

You now have a structure that has gravity because it's spinning. Anything you place on the surface of the ring will have about 1 earth gravity. Having walls that high means your atmosphere would stay too. Nothing covering the ring either.

You use some form of rocket engines along the edges of the wall, all around the ring to keep the ring centered around it's star.

The amount of material it would take to build would be at a fraction of a sphere. A solar system like ours would have enough material from planets, moons, asteroids to make one.

-------------------------

I think the problem with megastructures like these, is it would be easier to actually colonize neighboring stars systems, than to build stuff like this. The technology involved is so advanced, it would be very hard to believe that anyone having finally risen to that technology level, have not figure out a way to get around their stellar neighborhood.

Technically, we humans are actually at a point that we have the technology to actually reach our nearest star within 80 to 100 years.
But we are no where near the technology level it would take to build a ringworld, let alone a Dyson sphere.

It maybe that the only places we might find structures like these, are around stars that are quite isolated from their stellar neighborhood, the distances are so great to even the nearest star, that any intelligent life there may never have tried to reach them. And that's IF those stars have planets where life would develop and become intelligent, etc.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

SLAYER69

The Vagabond
When one planet is no longer enough for a civilization, perhaps instead of growing their territory they shrink themselves into a computer simulation. If you could compute consciousness and reality perfectly, there is no real requirement that you go through the motions. We might find out that 99% of the life of the average civilization plays out in a shoebox drifting through empty space long after their star and their biology are gone.

OR

Simply reduce their essence down to a few basic strands of their DNA and send them off into the Galaxy in Frozen Snowballs...

and because of dna memory that civilization's actions millions of centuries ago are constantly re-enacted over and over again on each planet the comets come in contact with and we're simply going through the actions fate bestowed upon us....

does all this really matter? I'm finding myself more curious on WHY than how.... what's the big deal? why did they spew their comet sized semen across the universe and impregnate our earth? were her tits that voluptuous to them? is this all just some weird perverted experiment by some sexually frustrated alien race with nothing better to do then ejaculate comet sized loads of planetary proportions due to their intractable significant others?

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Larry Niven's Ringworld Imagine instead of a sphere, you build a ring around the sun, in the same orbital distance. Make the ring about 1 million miles wide (meaning 1 million miles from north to south if it helps to visualize that), with walls built up from the edge of the ring about 1,000 miles high.

is the Answer your Question your referring too.. ?

Alderson disk
en.wikipedia.org...

An Alderson disk (named after Dan Alderson, its originator) is a hypothetical artificial astronomical megastructure, like Niven's Ringworld, or a Dyson sphere. The disk is a giant platter with a thickness of several thousand miles. The sun rests in the hole at the center of the disk. The outer radius of an Alderson disk would be roughly equivalent to the orbit of Mars or Jupiter. According to the proposal, a sufficiently massive disk would have a larger mass than its sun.

Category:Megastructures
en.wikipedia.org...:Megastructures

Bizarre as it Sounds just Maybe !!! in the Conspiracy Fictional Realm that is !!

Ever Heard of the Book Called ??? Ring Makers of Saturn !!

Ring makers of Saturn Site
www.ringmakersofsaturn.com...

Just Maybe that's what These Beings (( a Civ type 3 )) is doing ...

Turning Saturn into the Sun/Star.. Brown Dwarf Star ? well after Completion of the Rings that is.. if that's even Possible ...

Dr. Norman Bergrun: "Ringmakers Of Saturn" INTERVIEW! Important information for the world...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

NASA Ringmakers of Saturn UFOs 2010 *VIDEO*
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This Old book if you ever get is Pretty Pricey ! Costly for a book if its a Hoax ...

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
No time or effort need to researh this type of energy. If "They" are that far more advanced don't ys think they have figured this thing out eons ago? I would be a waste of effort and time to make dyson spheres...

If in fact there are other intelli life out there I for one do NOT want to meet them. They would look at us a earth worms and have no viable use for us and are arcane ways.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

DogMeat
No time or effort need to researh this type of energy. If "They" are that far more advanced don't ys think they have figured this thing out eons ago? I would be a waste of effort and time to make dyson spheres...

If in fact there are other intelli life out there I for one do NOT want to meet them. They would look at us a earth worms and have no viable use for us and are arcane ways.

you are right...why would an advanced ET civilization, want to make formal contact with humans?...we separate ourselves into many different cultures. and are in fear of, or jealous of, other humans. we kill each other over greed, fear, mythical beings, ego, etc....we cannot even come together as a one world civilized species. Just look at the NWO fear-mongers on ATS, who spend an enormous amount of time and money, and talk of bug-out bags, sheltered outposts, and/or individual survival methods, because they simply don't trust other humans as it pertains to the future. the humans of earth, as they appear to ET's, are at the emotional level of 2 year old kids. I know this will upset some here on ATS, but, having a one-world government benefitting all of mankind, is probably the only way ET civilizations will recognize that humans have advanced enough, to make a formal and public contact.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bazart

Going on the Star Trek view please try STTNG "Ship in Bottle". Roddenberry apparently didn't like the episode but it's very interesting juncture using a simulated universe.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Wouldn't we still see the gravitational effect the star has on it's neighbours - which, i believe is how we spot black holes.

On another note, perhaps these hidden stars can account for the massive shortfall in visible matter, currently accounted for by Dark Matter theory. If, going out on a hypothetical limb, we accept this, then the huge shortfall in matter would mean that space is crammed full of artificially hidden stars.

edit on 9-2-2014 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It would be pretty purposeless to encase a sun in a dyson sphere just to gather its radiations and other energies, besides suns are not things in themselfs either, they are born and they eventually die, and they do gather energies from around themself in there creation, and as they are alive, they are even all linked I think in more then just gravity. Encasing a sun is kind of like encasing a tree in concrete, it will cut short its lifespan by a whole lot and its just not worth the energy to do it or the resources it would require, literally you would need the mass and resources of pretty much a few solar systems to encase a single sun, its not that its unfeasible, its more like its just not worth it.

Besides quick energy purposes for certain self contained massive things, it really serves little purpose for energy gathering on a mass galactic scale for sustaining populations or worlds. Besides all the planets are Dyson spheres in there own right, look at the earth, were does all our energy come from? You could build a whole network of satellites and put them in orbit to gather energy, but the whole star trek thing were its all encased in, is pretty much a death trap over time and kind of silly. Besides satellites spinning around suns which capture its solar energies already do exist, and there called planets. Just because the energy's captured are incomprehensible to you, and do not power your i phones, that does not mean it all serves no purpose.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bazart

Bazart

Hell of a presentaion on interesting theory . If you would pardon a Layman ' s question : how do you know we do not reside insidesuch a construct now ?

S/F , thanks.

If living in a Dyson sphere, the sun would never set, and you would only ever see your own star - no others.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

does all this really matter? I'm finding myself more curious on WHY than how.... what's the big deal? why did they spew their comet sized semen across the universe and impregnate our earth? were her tits that voluptuous to them? is this all just some weird perverted experiment by some sexually frustrated alien race with nothing better to do then ejaculate comet sized loads of planetary proportions due to their intractable significant others?

Actually you maybe could have hit the nail on the ., and that could just be it. And the answer to why were here, merely an experiment of wanking off on a galactic universal scale. But in all if any species would become so advanced as to recreate its whole civilization by programing dna and re-purposing it then shooting it out into space, like some sort of galactic sperm race to find tractable habitable planets. It is actually at the very least a way to assure its survival if it were to go extinct any time in the next few million years or so, plus it would be a easy and cheep way of progressing oneself, the odds are against you, but so are the odds of all of us being here when all those sperm were in the you know what racing to be the first one to the egg.

And ya you could just be right that it all started due to their intractable significant others, that and I suppose if you were an advanced e race who spanned the cosmos and pretty much conquered the elements and nature, and lived for extremely long periods of time, you would get bored after a few hundred thousand years or so, and end up doing all kinds of crazy things for #s and giggles, or just to see what happens. A giant cosmic experiment. And a half assed one at that.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

McGinty

Wouldn't we still see the gravitational effect the star has on it's neighbours - which, i believe is how we spot black holes.

On another note, perhaps these hidden stars can account for the massive shortfall in visible matter, currently accounted for by Dark Matter theory. If, going out on a hypothetical limb, we accept this, then the huge shortfall in matter would mean that space is crammed full of artificially hidden stars.

That sounds just like something Doctor Strangelove would say, dude.

Just waiting for warnings about our "mineshaft gap" with the Russklies.

Harte

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Phage

Are there ANY present programs/probes actively searching for either these spheres?

arxiv.org...

A Dyson sphere is a hypothetical construct of a star purposely shrouded by a cloak of broken-up planetary material to better utilize all of the stellar energy. A clean Dyson sphere identification would give a significant signature for intelligence at work. A search for Dyson spheres has been carried out using the 250,000 source database of the IRAS infrared satellite which covered 96% of the sky. The search has used the Calgary database for the IRAS Low Resolution Spectrometer (LRS) to look for fits to blackbody spectra. Searches have been conducted for both pure (fully cloaked) and partial Dyson spheres in the blackbody temperature region 100 K

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

edit on 9-2-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join