It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain: U.S. must arm Syria rebels to deter Iran from nuclear ambitions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

buster2010

MonkeyMentat
reply to post by ausername

So when the White House openly supports the terrorist insurgents in Syria it's a humanitarian act... Then the White House claims that Iran is directing Al Qaeda insurgents in Syria, so we must support the insurgents in Syria to avoid enabling Iran's Nuclear ambitions?

Who's living in a fantasy world...

The White House announced last year they wanted to arm them but the White House has nothing to do with this announcement. McCain and Graham are doing this on their own. It isn't the first time these two have gone against American interests when it comes to Israel.

Last year, when the White House wanted to arm the Syrian rebels, the Republicans said it was a terrible idea because no one really knows who the rebel groups are.

Now, however, it's a REPUBLICAN idea, so it must be a good one.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Eh, Graham doesn't like anything McCain hasn't thought of first and these days Ayotte isn't far behind.

I think that Graham is facing a serious replacement challenge though. Arizona, on the other hand, can't seem to figure out how to just say no more McCain.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

babybunnies

buster2010

MonkeyMentat

So when the White House openly supports the terrorist insurgents in Syria it's a humanitarian act... Then the White House claims that Iran is directing Al Qaeda insurgents in Syria, so we must support the insurgents in Syria to avoid enabling Iran's Nuclear ambitions?

The White House announced last year they wanted to arm them but the White House has nothing to do with this announcement. McCain and Graham are doing this on their own. It isn't the first time these two have gone against American interests when it comes to Israel.

Last year, when the White House wanted to arm the Syrian rebels, the Republicans said it was a terrible idea because no one really knows who the rebel groups are.

You must be having an issue. McCain has always wanted to get involved in Syria.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

FlyersFan

For crying out loud ... Sen. McCain ... would you PLEASE hurry up and retire. GO AWAY.

Agree

I hope to god this country can survive McCain and Obama....

We can't, not ultimately, but the end can help to facilitate a new and perhaps better beginning.

...and the rest who want to get us involved in Syria. Going in there, in any manner, would be an epic mistake.

Not going in when it could have made a huge difference for the Syrian people was an epic mistake. Going in now, may simply be waking into a trap, an epic trap. IF we are going to intervene in the region again, that intervention must begin with the destruction of Iran's nuclear programs, their military capabilities and an all out campaign that leads to regime change...

All or nothing... Nothing, as in doing nothing is probably the best move now, we don't have the leadership, the will, or the mandate needed to "go all the way" .... But there is going to be a day of reckoning for the USA and western interests in the region, along with Israel and Saudi Arabia, it is inevitable now....

IMO

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

You bring up some good points. If John McCain would have been elected president, you can bet your last penny we would have been at war with Iran. Negotiate and diplomacy is not in his vocabulary. I have said it before, in his mind he's still fighting the Vietnam war.

He was also the first person to call Snowden a traitor, yet he considers himself a patriot for wanting to arm Syrian rebels who are affiliated with Al Quaida. McCain has used his position to become a career politician. He needs to retire before he gets more senile in his old age of 77. The U.S. would be safer with one less saber rattling congressman out of office.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

The enemy of my enemy is my friend...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

jhn7537

Except when the enemy of my friend is a friend to my enemy.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Not necessarily, if the word of the president was all it took, we would have bombed Syria right after the chemical weapons dust up. As I recall, no one wanted that, including congress, so he had nowhere to go.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Is there one person here or anywhere that can show us who the real enemies are in the Middle East?

Who the real "bad guys" are?

Which side we should be on?

Does anyone know?

The truth is while people have opinions, largely based on whatever perspective they have chosen to align themselves with, right, left, Zonist/Jew, Iranian, Syrian etc....

The real enemy in the Middle East can never be defeated, and any effort aimed at anything less than complete eradication of it only serves to make it stronger.. Be it Shiite, or Sunni, the enemy is radical, jihadist, extremist Islam.

There is nothing but misery, suffering and atrocious death and destruction in that region of the world for those who rise up in opposition to it, and for those who will attempt to intervene defeat. We make it worse not better by our ineffective and inept policies, along with improper and incomplete use of force.

It is what it is.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

ketsuko

babybunnies

buster2010

MonkeyMentat

You must be having an issue. McCain has always wanted to get involved in Syria.

babybunnies may be confusing Syria with Libya. Two weeks before the action in Libya McCain was saying how Gadhafi needed to be removed from power but when the action started he suddenly was against it. But bunnies does make a good point when it is a republican idea McCain is for it but as soon as Obama touches it the idea suddenly becomes bad.

edit on 8-2-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It's disappointing to see seemingly intelligent people get so hung up by either a left or right wing perspective that they become either unable or incapable of seeing the bigger picture.

Don't let your bias blind you to everything else.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

WeRpeons

You bring up some good points. If John McCain would have been elected president, you can bet your last penny we would have been at war with Iran. Negotiate and diplomacy is not in his vocabulary. I have said it before, in his mind he's still fighting the Vietnam war.

He was also the first person to call Snowden a traitor, yet he considers himself a patriot for wanting to arm Syrian rebels who are affiliated with Al Quaida. McCain has used his position to become a career politician. He needs to retire before he gets more senile in his old age of 77. The U.S. would be safer with one less saber rattling congressman out of office.

It's funny that McCain has the gall to call anyone a traitor because when he was a prisoner in Vietnam he gave info to the North Vietnamese.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
MCain cares about MCain...period....and his insane ambition to rule the world.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Just like we armed the Afghan Arab" fighters" in 1979 to fight the soviets. Now we have Al-Qaeda to deal with.

Arm the Syrian rebels and we'll be assured of having another boogeyman down the road to keep the war machine grinding away.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

jhn7537

Yes, indeed. The CIA followed the same approach in Afghanistan during the 80's. Look where that led in the end.

Why can't we ever seem to learn from our own mistakes?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I despise McCain and his war mongering ways. When he kicks the bucket he won't be missed by me.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

jhn7537

Yes, indeed. The CIA followed the same approach in Afghanistan during the 80's. Look where that led in the end.

But we were able to facilitate a humiliating defeat of the Russians/Soviets... We would have allied with the incarnation of Satan himself to accomplish that back then.

You think it is a coincidence that Russia has allied itself with Syria and Iran, and works covertly to aid groups and governments that are sworn enemies of the USA?

The Russians would love to see the USA get caught up in another quagmire in the Middle East, it would be yet another opportunity to get even...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit, I totally agree... It would seem that our Govt. has either short-term memory or selective memory, I guess we can all be the judge... It blows my mind how none of them seem to remember that we armed rebel forces before, then those rebels gained serious control of the country then we went to war with them... Does the US Govt. believe that the Syrian rebels will just return the weapons or throw them out once the conflict is finished...

Syria will be Afghanistan2.0 within the next 10-15 years, if not sooner...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

jhn7537

Because there is no profit in learning from our mistakes.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
McCain is a traitor of the highest order and should be arrested, right along with Lindsey Graham and the rest of this 'group' of war-mongering lunatics. This is all they can think about and they don't have a problem sending any of us or our kids to their deaths for Israel and their interests. It seems they are getting desperate. I guess 911 didn't pan out the way they wanted.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join