It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AC-130J Completes First Test Flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

After more than a year of modification maintenance, the newly created AC-130J Ghostrider took to the skies for the first time as a gunship here Jan. 31.

In early Jan 2013, the Air Force Special Operations Command MC-130J arrived here to begin the modification process with the goal of creating a "best of both worlds" aircraft. The end result became a 'hybrid' C-130 model with the flying proficiencies of the MC-130J and the combat capabilities of an AC-130.

www.dvidshub.net...

Replacing the older and fatigued AC-130H's in the next few years. The J-model has 25% more power and burns 19% less fuel than the H-model. Should be faster and longer legged than the H's with new airframes. Saves money over keeping the H's in the air.

Thread on AC-130H retirement plans here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-2-2014 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Hercs are beautiful in any configuration ( even the old ' stubbies ' ) IMO.

She's about the only girl my age ... I still think is sexy ! I know she will long outlive me ( as your thread reminds... ).

Keep 'em coming. S/F thanks.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What would it be like to live underneath such a vulture?
Perhaps America will get to know the feeling someday soon too......
We can deliver death in a plethora of packages....
But life is a different story.....

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

You mean like this?
focustaiwan.tw...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
No, he probably meant like this: www.defense.gov...

Or one of the other of dozens of such missions the USAF has performed in the last 60+ years.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Phage
reply to post by stirling

You mean like this?
focustaiwan.tw...

Why post an article for a transport when he is obviously referring to the flying fortress?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Um. Because this thread is about a new C-130 version?
You know...a transport?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
AC-130's have also been tasked with a few disaster relief missions because of their advanced sensor and communication suites. The ability to survey the landscape and locate people in groups or as individuals is invaluable, and the it has the ability to coordinate efforts using the diverse communication suite other patrol aircraft lack. They also were used to ride shotgun for ground forces and convoys in the aid efforts in Somalia, Bosnia and Rwanda helping ensure the aid got to where it was needed and wasn't stolen by the armed militants who plagued those areas.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Phage

You know...a transport?

Reread the article again it is not just a transport. It is a hybrid of a transport and gunship. This is not designed for just support missions like the C-130 you posted.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The C-130 has always had gunship variants. Here's a surprise, so did the DC-3 (aka C47). That does not alter the fact that it's primarily a transport. And by primarily I mean the vast majority of is use is as a transport.

edit on 2/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

You know, when I read your post I actually heard the voice of Sheldon Cooper in my head! Oh my.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

buster2010

Phage

You know...a transport?

Reread the article again it is not just a transport. It is a hybrid of a transport and gunship. This is not designed for just support missions like the C-130 you posted.

So you admit it IS designed for support missions, but you just want to complain about someone posting about a support mission?

*snip*

Mod Note: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

edit on Sun Feb 9 2014 by Jbird because: removed personal snipe

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Phage

The C-130 has always had gunship variants. Here's a surprise, so did the DC-3 (aka C47). That does not alter the fact that it's primarily a transport. And by primarily I mean the vast majority of is use is as a transport.

edit on 2/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

The C-130 most certainly did not always have gunship variants. In fact, the very first AC-130 was a 1954 aircraft that entered service in 1967. It served as a pure transport and S&R aircraft for decades before they put guns on it. Our squadron had 3 A models after our AC-47 "Puffs" were retired.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

Sorry. "Always" was an exaggeration.
There have been gunship variants for 46 years. At lot longer than there haven't been.

It served as a pure transport and S&R aircraft for decades before

The C-130A entered the inventory in 1956. The AC-130 first deployed in 1967, right?
Wouldn't that would be a decade, not decades.
www.fas.org...
edit on 2/9/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Had a chance to chat with the crew of a Whiskey (MC-130W) this weekend. When not deployed abroad they have been heavily involved in testing related to the gunship adaptation to the J-models. They're currently testing a 105mm, a Busmaster II 30mm as well as the guided munitions (SDBs, Viper Strike, Griffin and Hellfires). Things are progressing nicely

new topics

top topics

join