It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Prison Better Then Poverty?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
To answer your question, no, prison is not better than poverty... With poverty there's always the opportunity to change your situation, improvement is always a possibility. In prison there's little to no possibility for improving your situation. Yes, you have shelter, meals, shower, bathrooms, etc. but the idea of needing to constantly look over your shoulders because you may get beat up, attacked, or raped, that will never sound like an ideal situation... I came from a family that struggled to make ends meet and I know what it's like (first hand) to have little to nothing and to know what it feels like to not have a clue where your next meal was coming from, but I used those early-in-life moments to not feel bad for myself, but as pure motivation to get away from this place and never return. I knew an education would be key, so I paid my own way through my undergrad and I worked harder then everyone else to succeed in corporate america. Long story short, it is possible to overcome the challenges of poverty and succeed in this world. Settling for poverty or prison should never be an acceptable way of life. If those are your two outcomes and you don't try to better your situation, I will question you what's the point of even living?
edit on 7-2-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Most of these people dont see it that.

Think of going through life for 30+ years and noone around you or any of your enviornment is successful how do you hope to achieve it?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

It's happening here too. Every other one of my friends, at least once a week, either they lost their home or going into foreclosure...and they are also working. It's so damn depressing. At least 1/3, if not more of my boys school friends are now living out of motels....Something's gotta give sooner rather than later. What that something is?? Damned if I know?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Amen

It like

Have to have a job to get a residence

Have to have a residence to get a job

The circle of ( the new American ) life
edit on pm220142809America/ChicagoFri, 07 Feb 2014 21:59:44 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by jhn7537

Most of these people dont see it that.

Think of going through life for 30+ years and noone around you or any of your enviornment is successful how do you hope to achieve it?

Well, it comes down to evaluating your situation, and honestly it's hard to make a blanket statement that covers everyone here, because everyone has a different scenario... But I think people need to be mindful of what's going on, are they constantly trying to do the same thing over and over again finding the same results? (insanity).... Are they willing to go out of their comfort zone for possible positive change? By going out of your comfort zone I mean, new geographical spot, different types of employment (maybe a new industry or trade), exploring new fronts that you never considered before... I think a lot of the people today who struggle in poverty are stuck there because they aren't willing to explore new options. They know that they are in a very precarious situation and are scared to make an already bad situation worse, so they stay course not trying anything else...

This is honestly a topic I could dive pretty deep into and there's a lot of different angles you can take this type of discussion.. Good topic nevertheless

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

No just a car, a phone, a residence, a car, a license, a clean record, a degree no matter how menial, good credit.

One wrong move in the USA and your screwed.

Now thats a great country.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

And don't forget how do you pay for those things when you are starving where yoh are at

I literally took my last paycheck from my last job

Got in my van

And drove as far as a full tank would get me

Then starred applying places

Living on bread water and soup

While i wait for my first check

No family

No support

Living in a parking lot

But ill be damned if i take a dime from this system

I will not be a part of it if it can be avoided

Others need that help more than me

Speaking of

I really need to sleep work in a few hours

Nite all

And good luck
edit on pm220142810America/ChicagoFri, 07 Feb 2014 22:08:07 -0600_2u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Your not alone Nut this country is turning into the USSR fast. Theres 20 million+ empty houses you should just grab one.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Ok one more then i really gotta sleep

Within 3 miles of me i can show you

20 empty home

10 homes falling apart

5 empty lots

And a 250k + /house neighborhood being constructed

Kinda makes one ill

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
PErsonally, I would say no. I was in jail not prison, couldn't afford bail, and that was bad enough. On the other hand, I do recognize that being "free in the western world" is a type of prison too. It's like being on parole really, one wrong step and you are screwed. When times are good, it's great, but things can go sour fast as hell as many bluecollar construction people learned when the bubble burst. I went from having so much work you are turning away 3/4 jobs offered to absolutely nothing in a year. Working 8-12 hours, plus driving 1-2 hours each way, to literally nothing.

Being in a cage sucks, both literally and figuratively. I feel like I wasted my 20's for nothing. I could have been working 8 hours a day 5 days a week at some crap job and partied the nights and weekends away chasing tail, and be about the same as I am now. Maybe better. Hard not to be bitter about that, but I try my best. It's great having all the skill I have, but it's not bringing in much work yet. Makes me angry as hell. I pondered it myself, committing a crime that didn't hurt or traumatize anyone, just to go get my teeth fixed. I can't stand being in a cage like an animal though. Almost hung myself last time.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Unfortunately, that's not quite my situation. I posted in a different thread, my husbands on unemployment cause he had a stroke this past summer at the age of 38! Totally unexpected, and we have two young boys. I don't have that luxury, at the moment, to leave the boys alone with my husband, or even leave my husband, for long periods of time, so I could contribute. Takes a while to recover from a stroke. Then he forgets A LOT!!!! He tries to at least go outside & split some cords of wood to sell, but he's only good for a few hours before he tires, speech gets slurry & he wants to sleep.....he's also so depressed right now, that's not helping either. After next week, no more unemployment.....don't know where we will be, although living off of, about 1/4 of what he was making has been EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, after next week.....?????

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Damn, sorry to hear that..... That's another thing too, medical situations can absolutely ruin you. Even if you are a health nut, it can happen and has to many. I hope your situation improves

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

That depends on who you have as a cell mate.

Second

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Did'nt read all the replies to your interesting question, one question, and I've noticed you've been asking a plethora of good one questions lately, might I say….but…..

my response is, I thought this was a prison, and this is where we are. Hmmmm. My bad, if it's just me. But no, really, it's sort of the same thing. They ship you to prison, having framed you, and then rob you. And then on top of it, poverty certainly adds to the recitivism rate. Makes me think of O.J. getting caught trying to steal back his Heisman Trophy and/or Superbowl ring….ridiculous enough and to the point, yet?

I guess my point is this…..how can we have this discussion, seriously, in any way , shape or form with current conditions being what they are? I know there are many who would like to plead current conditions are "normal" but they really aren't, are they?

Yeah, we'll all re-offend if we're in the very same place, facing the same circumstances, won't we? I know that's not the standard line, and won't win me any "You're responsible for your life," fans, but hey, that's the way I see it….
Tetra50

P.S. Oh, in case it isn't clear from my post, I feel I'm in prison personally, and I'm broke, as well…...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thanks! I'm not trying to put a sappy sad story out there, just making comparisons, after reading around the boards all night, I'm even more depressed, having to hear others are suffering also....and so many!!! WOW!! From all areas of the U.S. & beyond......

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

onequestion

Is prison better then poverty?

One of my sisters doesn't work, will not work and hasn't for 30 years. Since both my parents have passed she basically is living on welfare and food stamps. She has been in my mom's old house without paying the mortgage for 2 years, so sooner or later she will be on the streets and I think prison would be better for her.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I know what you mean. My story is sad, but then I hear stories from other places like say africa and feel like a little bitch for complaining. Who am I to complain? Right now I have a roof over my head, clothes that have not turned to rags, food that is not yet too rotten to eat etc. Most of my problems are mental really, sure I got some physical problems, but it's all relative, and there are plenty worse off than me. I know there are many people way worse off than me, and coping way better. Makes me feel like # lol.

Like boohoo dad never really talked to me and threw me through the wall once when I stole his dirtbike and rode to a nearby city. Than later the girl I was going to see accused me falsely of rape after I ruined a lot of my life and family relationships for her. Could always be worse, yet here I am with my mental problems because of trivial stuff in the grand scheme of the world.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by projectbane

I hope someone has zero tolerance for you. I want you to see you're not special. Try living a mile in their shoes. Here's an example: Say a guy has a family and lost his job. He worked there for 10 years and doesn't know anything except that job. He can reinvent himself but lacks the funds to do so. He can go into debt taking out student loans but that doesn't lock a job in today's market. He may even be a little slow but still wants his children fed. He resorts to stealing some food for his family because he was denied any assistance. He knows that his family will be able to get on assistance if he goes to jail, so he does the deed. Zero tolerance lol. It won't be soon before something you do now is considered illegal and maybe you'll get to walk down that isle and wonder why no one has sympathy for you. Not everyone is built for the service economy and as more of our jobs take a plunge, you can bet your bottom dollar that more people will resort to a life of crime and they won't be as nice as my example. Maybe you should have given them a god damned chance when you had the opportunity.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Im sorry thats how you feel about your siblings.

Some of my family are not perfect either but i still have compassion for them.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LOSTinAMERICA

That prick should have bought a bigger farm with a better job and grew some food and cattle so he could support his family if he lost his job.

Sarcasm off.

No your right and these idiots that have no compassion for their fellow man are the ones who will suffer the most. The universe has this way about it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join