It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon LDS Church President Summoned to UK Court on Fraud Charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

A British magistrate has issued an extraordinary summons to the worldwide leader of the Mormon church alleging that its teachings about mankind amount to fraud.
Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been ordered to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London next month to defend the church’s doctrines including beliefs about Adam and Eve and Native Americans.
A formal summons signed by District Judge Elizabeth Roscoe warns Mr Monson, who is recognised by Mormons as God’s prophet on Earth, that a warrant for his arrest could be issued if he fails to make the journey from Salt Lake City, Utah, for a hearing on March 14.
In one of the most unusual documents ever issued by a British court, it lists seven teachings of the church, including that Native Americans are descended from a family of ancient Israelites as possible evidence of fraud.
It also cites the belief that the Book of Mormon was translated from ancient gold plates revealed to the church’s founder Joseph Smith by angels and that Adam and Eve lived around 6,000 years ago.
The document suggests that asking members of the church to make contributions while promoting theological doctrines which “might be untrue or misleading” could be a breach of the Fraud Act 2006.
The Church dismissed the summons as containing “bizarre allegations” and signalled that Mr Monson has no plans to attend.
It was issued in response to a private prosecution attempt by Tom Phillips, a disaffected former Mormon who now runs MormonThink a website highly critical of the church.
Under little-used legal procedures, people who say they have evidence that someone has committed a crime can ask a magistrate to issue a summons requiring them to attend a court hearing.
The district judge would then decide whether or not to proceed with a case or dismiss it.
the telegraph
IBT

I do not see this going anywhere, but you never know. The Adam and Eve part is going to go nowhere, but the Indians being a lost tribe part is provable with DNA. I think the entire thing will hinge on the tithing. If this does go to court their may be some other religions in deep trouble.

I forsee another SP episode on the horizon.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

laughed and laughed. Showed to husband. He also laughed.

Every religion could be in trouble!!!

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
'Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.'
Mark Twain

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

"teaching about mankind is fraud' ... okay ... but wouldn't that cover all of the Abrahamic religions?
Christianity, Islam and Judaism all have fiction about humans that they push as truth.

Oh ... and someone is going to do it so it might as well be me ...
The South Park episode ... all about Mormons. (comes with a catchy song)
www.southparkstudios.com...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Thomas S. Monson, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been ordered to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London next month to defend the church’s doctrines including beliefs about Adam and Eve and Native Americans.

He says he's not gonna, though...
wonder if he could send Glenn Beck to stand in for him? A one-way ticket, though. Then Britain can decide what to do with him. We'll keep Piers, if you take Glenn.

Please. You deal with him. (Imprisonment works just fine for me - or permanent exile, especially from the airwaves.)

edit on 2/8/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I hold no brief for the teachings of the Mormons, I'm just as prepared as anuyone else to dismiss them as nonsense.
But Gallio was right- deciding whether a religion is true or false is not a job for the legal system.
Proving a religion to be fraudulent by legal criteria is almost impossible.
Apparently this was a summons triggered by a private prosecution. I suspect that the issuing of the summons is almost automatic if someone comes armed with enough impressive documentation.
The moment when common sense can intervene will be the next hearing, when the District judge decides whether the case should go on.
I'm sure the case will drop at that point, whether the Mormons are represented or not.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Grimpachi

A British magistrate has issued an extraordinary summons to the worldwide leader of the Mormon church alleging that its teachings about mankind amount to fraud.

I do not see this going anywhere, but you never know. The Adam and Eve part is going to go nowhere, but the Indians being a lost tribe part is provable with DNA. I think the entire thing will hinge on the tithing. If this does go to court their may be some other religions in deep trouble.

Isn't this exactly why many of the various religious Pilgrims made the trip in the first place, to avoid this exact type of thing?

I'm no Mormon, but quite frankly who cares what they say or do over there?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

rupertg
Mark Twain

Government was invented when the first con man met the first fool.

Neo96

Since there is scant difference between the two.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

FlyersFan

Oh ... and someone is going to do it so it might as well be me ...
The South Park episode ... all about Mormons. (comes with a catchy song)
www.southparkstudios.com...

Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
By the way its a magistrate summons.

dont know if you know but magistrate in the UK are volenteers from the public that sit on the bench and sign warrents and deal with the minor crime ect You normaly have 3 of them under advice from lawyers. Quite franky the magistrate who signed off on it oversteped his bounds and frankly the whole matter I doubt would go anywere and be overthrown by a real judge on appeal.

The magistrate likley just has a grudge againts mormons or is a disgruntled ex Mormon and I doubt he will be asked to serve as a magistrate again.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I think a warrant needs to be issued for God to stand trial.

. . . . . . . . . idea!

What would happen if God was on trial. . . . . . .

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

beezzer

. . . . . . . . . idea!

I dunno. I was thinking of volunteering for my local magistrates maybe I should and do that

*gets struck by bolt of lighting*
edit on 8-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
In Britain, they are much more willing to prosecute religious leaders for fraud than the authorities are in the USA.

Scientology is labelled as a "cult" in the UK (where it was developed) but is recognized as a religion in the USA.

I say, bravo, British Government. Now, time to go after Christianity for the same thing.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

rupertg
Mark Twain

Excellent. I may have to borrow this quote from you for my signature !

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

America get us to arrest people in our country ALL THE TIME for possible crimes committed against America WHILST ON BRITISH SOIL.

Extradition petition anyone?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

beezzer

. . . . . . . . . idea!

Interesting question.

Would he place his hand on the bible and swear to him self ?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

This is really big news. He should give himself up to them and purposely go on trial - but only if he believes what he stands behind. If he actually believes it he almost has to accept the trial, as President of the group he represents them, and has been, in their eyes, legally slandered. But only if he believes it's real. Kind of makes sense.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I doubt this will go anywhere but if it does it could cause a domino effect that reaches other religions as well. Unlikely because religion of any form is a powerful tool for those in power and they'd never take them to trial about the possible (real) lies and ignorance they spread on a daily basis, but one can always hope.

What I find funny is that Joseph Smith finding gold plates that only he saw is looked down on by most people yet a guy walking on water or resurrecting from the dead is accepted by most. The two scenarios being the truth are as equally unlikely as the other.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
so who is next? the pope?
actually the pope should be on trial for all of the little kiddies his priests have diddled around with.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

babybunnies
In Britain, they are much more willing to prosecute religious leaders for fraud than the authorities are in the USA.

Scientology is labelled as a "cult" in the UK (where it was developed) but is recognized as a religion in the USA.

I say, bravo, British Government. Now, time to go after Christianity for the same thing.

Not anymore
Two Scientologists went to the high court and won to get wed in a Scientology building meaning it is now seen as a religion.
Make them all pay tax and see how many churches etc there are in a decade.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join