It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BASSACKWARDS PRIORRITIES (A power outage rant)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Sorry to hear about Sucky (now there's a sentence I never thought I'd type)

If you have cold water fish like goldfish, be prepared for them to spawn now. Don't ask me how I know, or how I explained the cannabalistic aftermath to my three year old... :-(

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
In defense of PECO I will say the following.

I work for one of the more important companies in the Philadelphia area and due to the weather we had power outages in multiple remote locations. When trying to escalate those issues we, along with other hospitals/companies/business, were told that while they understood our concern they had 200k individual customers without power that were currently their focus.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

The general answer is no. Here are the approximate costs to place something underground retroactively: Transmission lines $13 million per mile. 13 KV feeder $ 8 million per mile, residential laterals $300K -500K. It's far too expensive. That said, there are restoration challenges that can slow everything down with underground (hidden) faults. Here in Florida we have about 50% of the residential lateral network underground. It was put there as new construction was built out. to go back and bury everything would cost more than you as a rate payer would stand for. Better to prepare for the next event. You can pick up a residential gasoline generator with safety switches that will handle a 2 ton reverse cycle A/C unit for about $1000

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join