It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Your Face Washington!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
At Last! Some people have finally stood up to the government!

You have these people to thank....

I don't know much about how passing a bill works in American government, but get behind these people if you can. For the good of the American future and the future of the world.....I beg you.

And spread the word too.

Link to entire bill presented on 5 feb 2014
edit on 7 2.1414 by taketheredpill because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/7/2014 by semperfortis because: corrected all caps

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by taketheredpill

Forgive me if I misunderstand the bill, but I feel there's a catch.

Won't "participation from small donors" open the door to "participation from anyone, really", including mafia, eugenists, small corporations, wannabe Rockefellers, etc?

edit on 7-2-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I just took a look at what The Bill contains. To my eye I could not find anything that truly did squat for the average person on the street. All it does as far as I can see is make it easier to get donations. Something I am certain ALL of those politicians on that list are behind!

When was the last time any of us saw a politician do something that did not benefit themselves? Real reform would be term limits, something that we know none of those politicians would vote for......

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

swanne

Won't "participation from small donors" open the door to "participation from anyone, really", including mafia, eugenists, small corporations, wannabe Rockefellers, etc?

Reading the bill it looks like it is a pilot program offered to as many as 3 states. The state would give out a voucher worth $50 to everyone called a "My Voice Voucher" This can then be given to a state agency who will then pay the candidate in US dollars. Anyone who donates at least $300 already would not be eligible to receive one. It looks like you would have to apply to receive a voucher and besides the 300 rule, there are other qualifiers, like being of voting age a resident of the state and no felonies.

The United States would then refund the State(s) participating with the amount of the vouchers and any other reasonable expenses like people's wages to run the voucher program.

So to me it looks like it is a way to even out campaign financing for congressional elections.

Qualified people running for congress can be a part of this program and if they are they will get all those small contributions ($150 or less) PLUS 600% of that amount payed out by the State. If you accept further restrictions on your campaign you will get 900% of the small donations given to you ($150 or less)...

If you donate $50 you would get $25 tax credit.

Makes it fair for candidates without big one time donor support. Instead you would be rewarded by pleasing the most people not the richest.

edit on 7-2-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

swanne

The Mafia, small corporations and the Rockefellers give their money to pacs and super pacs. That way they don't have to give a name and how much they give after all politcians don't want to let the public know how much it costs to buy them.

I have one small problem with this bill. And that is why should someone get a tax deduction or a tax credit for donating to a persons campaign? They shouldn't get any kind of credit you should donate because you want to help get that person into office not to help out your tax return.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

swanne

In basic layman speak?

Yes.

This allows for small to semi sizable businesses, Veterans, lottery winners ex high military officers, US, and any regular joe.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

The United States would then refund the State(s) participating with the amount of the vouchers and any other reasonable expenses like people's wages to run the voucher program.

Look! More taxpayer subsidized campaign donations.

Why should my tax dollars be used to subsidize donations to candidates A.) in other states and B.) whose ideals I do not agree with?

If you want to contribute $50 to a campaign, pony up your own dough, not mine.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

"...small dollar donors...and for other purposes". Did you read that?

Dont get excited. Overall...its shady in text and prob intent with some hidden monetary benefit to the signers Im sure. Nothing is for nothing. Sadly speaking...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Oh...and this is no way is standing up to the government at all. They ARE the government.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

mysterioustranger

prob intent with some hidden monetary benefit to the signers Im sure. Nothing is for nothing. Sadly speaking...

It's all there for the reading. It's not really hard to understand either.

So far I have come across not just a potential law change but also programs to come out of this. I'm already seeing multiple purposes, but nothing nefarious so far. Unless you can't subsidies to things you may not support...

Basically even if you only have 1,000 people who support you and donate 50 bucks you now have 50,000.. Now you report this to the state and they give you an additional 300,000 dollars.. You now have 350,000 to run your campaign becuase 1,000 people like you, and the Country loses 350,000 plus...

This sounds strange to me..

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Why ?

The last two elections an unknown raise 2 billion dollars, and became Potus from 'small donars'.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wait. I'm confused.

I thought all the "small" people could vote for free in any election?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

xuenchen
Wait. I'm confused.

I thought all the "small" people could vote for free in any election?

They can.

What that is about is only the 'people' are allowed to buy politicians, and unions.

Them evil corporations must not.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
OK. So the government gives you vouchers you can give to candidates for their election, right? And this would NEVER be abused, right? So we'll never see members of SEIU or the New Black Panthers out on the street "giving away vouchers" like hot dogs in return for "loyalty" to the Democratic Party. And we'll NEVER see vouchers "just happen" to fall into the hands of one party more than the other.

This whole idea is patently absurd. You are delusional if you think allowing the government to control who gets vouchers (and they will) will result in anything more than more corruption.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

KnightLight

Basically even if you only have 1,000 people who support you and donate 50 bucks you now have 50,000.. Now you report this to the state and they give you an additional 300,000 dollars.. You now have 350,000 to run your campaign becuase 1,000 people like you, and the Country loses 350,000 plus...

This sounds strange to me..

LOL funny I wrote that. upon further reading those are the exact minimum numbers to qualify for payment. You need at least 1,000 people donating money to you (either their money or the country's).. You also need to get at least $50,000 in small contributions ($1 to $150)

OH WAIT.... Neo was right. To qualify you cannot accept funds except from people or Contributions from political
committees established and maintained by a national or State political party.. These personal donations cannot exceed $1,000 per person..

One trick is that you DO NOT have to participate and so these new rules don't apply to you. So if you want to just have rich people and companies fund you you can keep it..
hahahah

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

schuyler
OK. So the government gives you vouchers you can give to candidates for their election, right? And this would NEVER be abused, right? So we'll never see members of SEIU or the New Black Panthers out on the street "giving away vouchers" like hot dogs in return for "loyalty" to the Democratic Party. And we'll NEVER see vouchers "just happen" to fall into the hands of one party more than the other.

This whole idea is patently absurd. You are delusional if you think allowing the government to control who gets vouchers (and they will) will result in anything more than more corruption.

program optional, but if they make the deal "sweet" enough it may become the only way to get elected, maybe..

The Vouchers have routing numbers attached to each person who applies. You have to be you to give your voucher that you got. These go to the state directly and once approved are payed out to the candidate.

Anyone can get a voucher basically.. If you are allowed to vote you can get one, unless you have already donated $300..

Remember however, that this is a proposed Pilot program for as much as 3 States, and not to be confused with the rest of the law part they are trying to enact.

IF you choose to participate in this program as a candidate for congress, you can also not use your own money or your families money past 10,000 dollars.. PACs are not allowed. The guy you are running against can have a pac just not you.

Must keep track of and report all spending. Unused dollars must be returned to the State within 180 days of the end of an election cycle.
...Still reading...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

mysterioustranger

"...small dollar donors...and for other purposes". Did you read that?

Found another purpose. PArt of the Bill creates A "Government by the People Oversight Commission" = 5 members appointed by the president and the senate who... Are not lobbyists or connected to campaigns in any capacity. They cannot be working for the government. These will be 5 year term spots.

Duties and powers:

to be continued.. Getting to the good stuff.

So far their only power is that they review the program after an election cycle looking at all the numbers, dollar amounts, and assess whether the program is working. They also review public opinion on the program. They have the responsibility or power to report this to the government.

4 members get payed at level 4 of the executive scheduling and the chairperson of the group gets level 3 payment.

The commission will prescribe regulations in relation to making the program work.

Yep read through the whole thing mostly. If you follow my posts here you get a good idea of what the bill is.
I think it's interesting, but it seems like it should be unconstitutional in some way.. It also sounds like an expensive program, but then again it's cheap next to some others. It would allow anybody to get elected as long as they have enough money to get through the initial qualifications on being a candidate. So I have mixed feelings on this one.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Just a couple of thoughts. Our president was the first to refuse the public financing deal, and now he's for it? (I know he didn't express his opinion, but Pelosi and some others would be sure to check first.) Perhaps I may suggest a possible reason. The Democrat National Committee has been asking it's donors to forget about Hillary's election in 2016, and look to the 2014 elections.

It seems the large donors and PACs are contributing to Hillary, and Democrat congressmen aren't getting the funding they want.

This bill says we can soften the blow of not having so many big donors by, in effect, making many more people big donors. They would be big donors because your money is making them big, after being sent through the administration. (Unless of course, they just print more money to cover it.)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

What I don't understand is why there is no movement whatsoever to simply replace congress entirely with allowing people to represent them self. Don't you represent you better than congress can represent you? I'm not involved with politics but I'd think that would be a basic start if I were. There would be 300,000,000 members of congress. Its much harder to bribe 300 million people than 535.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

mysterioustranger
Oh...and this is no way is standing up to the government at all. They ARE the government.

Exactly ..... and the crew in Washington corrupts everything it touches.

The devil's in the details, the little things. Like legislators that don't read the legislation they vote on. Or racketeering with Wall Street and the banksters to loot the treasury and defraud this nation. Or murdering Americans without charges or trial. Or state-sponsored-terror at home and abroad. Or .....

There is but one solution to this federal disaster. That is to dissolve it and start over.

new topics

top topics

join