It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parking Lot Accidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Pretty cool tips about what to do if your involved in a Parking Lot Accident.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I have a parking lot story. Years ago my mother in law owned a small town gas station/party store. I was parked and inside. I come out and my bumper is dented.
I happened to have a friend in the parking lot that witnessed it. Gave me license plate of the perpetrator and I contacted the police.

They told me they could not really do anything because it was private property. He may have run the plate for me because I found out the name of the perp. IDK if that is SOP but my mother in law was a business owner in a very small town.

I ended up fixing it myself as I am a metal worker but often wonder if I had backed into the cops car if he would have had the same "can't do anything about it" attitude?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
People generally try to avoid getting involved when there is no-one around. Why? Because of the legalized theft known as insurance. I've gotten into a little fender bender with someone in a parking lot. The guy backed into me, it happens, I know. He wanted to go through insurance until I told him a little horror story, we called the police anyway and the cop ACTUALLY told us to just either settle it with some sort of cash deal, and he wouldn't register the accident, or he'd force us to go through insurance, and even if we didn't he would still have reported the accident, where the insurance would find out anyways, which he again explained to the guy who hit me what would happen. He cut me a check.

I'd never go through insurance unless it's over 2 grand in damages, because the hike in monthly rates would just equal to that amount I'd put up for my own repairs. It's ridiculous. Driving a car is so nerve wrecking sometimes. That's why I don't drive unless I NEED to, and when I do it's like grandma, and I park away from everyone else because I've had to many idiots bump into me or almost.
edit on 7-2-2014 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by demonid011

A few months ago a big truck with a vise mounted to the rear bumper severely injured my little pony in a parking lot. The driver gave me all of his info, I took pics then drove straight to my insurance company who recommended filing on the other driver's insurance so as to escape paying the deductible- which I did. The other driver fully admitted fault and his insurance company took the reigns and gave me the most pleasant after accident experience I've ever had- catering to my every need without me having to spend a dime or be inconvenienced in any way.... I didn't even have to pay for the gas in the brand spanking new Jeep they gave me to drive while my Mustang was in the shop. I haven't got a single complaint and soon after I switched to that guy's insurance company- if I ever cause a wreck I want my insurance company to treat whoever I caused harm every bit as well as I was treated in that incident!

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

strongfp
People generally try to avoid getting involved when there is no-one around. Why? Because of the legalized theft known as insurance. I've gotten into a little fender bender with someone in a parking lot. The guy backed into me, it happens, I know. He wanted to go through insurance until I told him a little horror story, we called the police anyway and the cop ACTUALLY told us to just either settle it with some sort of cash deal, and he wouldn't register the accident, or he'd force us to go through insurance, and even if we didn't he would still have reported the accident, where the insurance would find out anyways, which he again explained to the guy who hit me what would happen. He cut me a check.

I'd never go through insurance unless it's over 2 grand in damages, because the hike in monthly rates would just equal to that amount I'd put up for my own repairs. It's ridiculous. Driving a car is so nerve wrecking sometimes. That's why I don't drive unless I NEED to, and when I do it's like grandma, and I park away from everyone else because I've had to many idiots bump into me or almost.
edit on 7-2-2014 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

yeah insurance can often be a nightmare to work with, as they tend to increase your rates, so its basically paying for your repairs that are amortized over time.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by strongfp

Im glad to hear I'm not the only one that drives like grampa. I leave for work early. Always taught to leave for work with enough time to change a tire.

In my parking lot story the perp did offer to pay for a new bumper at the local bodyshop, no insurance involved.But I agree getting insurance companies involved cant be good. I chose to fix it because pretty sure it was chinesse bumper and day or two no truck. Wasnt destroyed, just bent a bit.

Now can I rant on people that bitch about us "slow" drivers or is that a new thread?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I drive a Dodge 4x4, and I've never used insurance in my life.
Mainly because its my worktruck, and partly because I don't care.

Ive been hit, backed into you name it. IF it causes any actual damage to the truck (that's a big if) its superficial, and has no impact on the performance so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
I just say "no biggie" and go on my way.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

I agree, Trucks are made to be worked. My story involved my very first brand new vehicle I ever bought.I was upset '89 S-10. A chick ran a stop sign and totalled it out for me. Again, Insurance I got nothing. I was almost left owing money on it.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Police here wont respond to any accident like that unless there was an injury. Even then, often they tell you to get to the Police station to file the report for your insurance.

Ive also seen accidents where the parties wait hours for the police to respond...and then learn....they arent coming.

A lot of L.E. is suburbs and counties dont have the manpower due to budgetary concerns, and those few Officers need to be on the streets for real crime-prevention.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

My gf and I share a vehicle.

Recently I received a call from an unknown number. I check my voicemail: "Hello, this is Constable So-and-So with the Edmonton Police Serice. Your vehicle has been reported in a hit and run indicent. Please contact me immediately..." something along those lines anyway.

I call back and apparently my gf ALLEGEDLY may have SLIGHTLY bumped a car in the parking lot that day. I say SLIGHTLY because 1. she did not notice or feel anything, otherwise she would have stopped to check and 2. there was absolutely no impact evidence left on our vehicle, not a dent nor scratch. Heck even the dirt was undisturbed.

Still, we went down to the station and filled out all paperwork.The officer we dealt with was really nice about it and said that he would have charged us with a hit and run had we not come it to complete the report (surprsingly, he said a lot of people never come in). He also indicated that he believes my gf because he looked and there's absolutely no damage on our vehicle.

It's been weeks and nothing has come from this.

This may be because the person making the claim against us had no witnesses and/or is lying. I believe the vehicle she allegedly hit was a brand new 2014 dealer-owned Cadillac and they're claiming over $2,000 in damage (a dent in the bumper).

But who's to say this claim is even legit? Couldn't I just sit in a parking lot, grab a random plate number, call the police and claim they left that pesky dent on my truck and then drove away? Without a witness, it's my word against theirs, is it not?

Hmm...I could get a lot of cosmetic damage fixed on our vehicle that way.
lol jk of course

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Reverse parking should be no1!!!!!

With our company a major global company its mandatory to reverse park for these particular reasons, also our premiums have significantly decreased. I find it easier to reverse park in a tight car park with a big 4WD than it is to park normally (which is like doing a 5 point turn to get in). Im now seeing other companies adopting this tactic.
edit on 7-2-2014 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Coup_Detat_Cam

Are you required in Canada to have insurance? I am assuming you are?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Yeah, you're assumption is correct: insurance is required.

My gf and I are both listed on the vehicle's registration & insurance documents.

top topics

join