It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Public Deprived of Volcanic Earthquake Map in Favor of Obamacare IRS Agents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Yeah, you heard that right.

Take a look at this:
www.avo.alaska.edu...

Recent earthquakes
This product is no longer funded.

The AVO can no longer afford to provide us with a recent earthquake map of specifically, earthquakes associated with volcanic activity in Alaska. The USGS main earthquake map only shows tectonic related earthquakes. You will see that almost all of the earthquakes listed in Alaska on the main map are deep, and associated with subduction zone activity. And yeah, we need those too, which is fine, but forget seeing a map now of the more shallow, local earthquakes the AVO used to have of activity at the volcanoes themselves.

So go ahead, Alaska, seceed from the union. If Obamacare goddamn IRS agents are more important than a volcano blowing up in your faces and killing you, then screw this federal government. Get your own, and FUND THE FRIGGIN AVO SO THEY CAN DO THEIR DAMN JOBS- and provide the public with as much information as possible about threats that could kill them.

The AVO has been sucking serious wind for quite a while now. They've lost many staff, and their seismic monitoring is probably in worse off shape than any other seismic network there is in the US. Instruments and telemetry have failed and are failing- with no funds for repairs anywhere in sight.
edit on Fri Feb 7th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

... and this is an issue when volcanic/earthquake and tons of other disaster information worldwide can get got for free online at:

RSOE

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

... and this is an issue when volcanic/earthquake and tons of other disaster information worldwide can get got for free online at:

RSOE

I think what T & A has an issue with is their priority list...I would have to agree.

As for the site you posted - good stuff.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

RSOE would be useless if they also lost funding for the sensors and the geologists who maintain them.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

RSOE

That comment is so far off the mark, I don't even know where to start. First, RSOE sucks. It is so bad, and often so erroneous, I don't even go there anymore, and haven't for years.

Second of all, the AVO is where the experts are. They are the local authority on Alaska volcanoes. If you lived in Alaska and were to depend on the RSOE for volcano advice, you'd be dead, buried and burned under 10 feet of ash, 10 days before RSOE ever got off their fat asses to post it.

No, just no. Fail.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well you know the illegal aliens need their free health care and so many americans need their unlimited welfare benefits that are so high they can afford the newest iphones.

It is a sad state of affairs when we start cutting the sciences yet continue to fund programs that encourage mexicans to cross our borders illegally.

There is waste in every dept of govt so I do wonder what their budget was and how many people they employed. Not saying their work wasnt important, especially to folks in the region.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I checked to see if the Cascade Volcano Observatory also suffered the same fate, since I live here.

Fortunately, it did not.

It's probably because there are more people near the Cascade volcanoes than there are in Alaska.

I guess it would be politically disastrous for the government to cut monitoring funding in the lower 48.

Cascade Volcano Observatory

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yeah well I bet you if all of a sudden they yanked the YVO, or the CVO, people would scream bloody murder.

So why is it that Alaskans deserve less than the best of public services? Does no one care? I guess not. But they are a state of our union and they deserve to be taken care of just the same. Further, they are at the highest risk of volcanic eruptions, WAY beyond any threat from Yellowstone or even Long Valley or Rainier, or Helens, or Hood, Newberry and/or you name it.

So at current, to see earthquakes at volcanoes in Alaska you will have to find webicorders that work, and be able to interpret them. Good luck with that. Fortunately, I have other means, but it's really not fair to the public at large.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Do you know who funded that page? And why are the other pages working?

Apparently that page stopped working in September 2013.

edit on 9/2/2014 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Yeah,
they cut funding for important stuff
And most likely gave themselves a raise

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So, forgive me for being stupid, but is it the whole data collection which is no longer funded or is it the reporting of that data?

It sounds from the posts that it is the data collection which is no longer funded. (and hence the reporting too)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

"Thank You", Well detailed, quick explainations, Great Site, Keep up the good work

top topics

join