It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Axl Rose blames Google for Red Hot Chilli Peppers controversy at the Superbowl

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I'd be the first to gleefully admit that I am quoting mainly from a heavy metal gossip rag, but this is priceless. As you may or may not know, Red Hot Chilli Pepper members have 'fessed up to the fact that their performance at the Superbowl with Bruno Mars was nothing more than a bit of prop-assisted air guitar.

I love Axl Rose's response, though. Epic drivel that had me snorting into my coffee. Hope it has a similar effect on y'all.

"So consider that maybe sometime before their actual performance that rather than use a guitar cord or standard wireless, that in the name of science and for all mankind Flea courageously had a newly invented breakthrough in microchip technology installed in his ass that picked up the frequencies of his bass and transmitted them to his amplifier.

"Maybe they all had microchips installed in their asses and not only pick up the frequencies of their instruments but get DirecTV and the Internet too! Like Google Glass... Google Ass! They could be 'Scientific Pioneers!' Like Buzz Aldrin and #! True (pardon the pun) ASS-tro-nots! Or like Super Bowl crash test dummies for bands kinda like those cars that drive themselves!

Read more at www.blabbermouth.net...

(As is usual with me) I'm not 100 % sure if I've picked the right forum, so any moderator person is more than welcome to move this anywhere with my blessing and the hope that he/she will have a super-nice day afterwards.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

meridie
Red Hot Chilli Pepper members have fessed up to the fact that their performance at the Superbowl with Bruno Mars was nothing more than a bit of prop-assisted air guitar.

I feel like I've been Californicated upon...

edit on 7-2-2014 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by meridie

It seems fitting that Axl's quote appeared on blabbermouth m/

edit on 7-2-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by meridie

They cheated, they were caught, and now they whine.

What is it with performers who fake their shows before live audiences? I've never heard of a symphony doing that, or an opera singer, it seems to always occur in modern rock music. If they can't perform live because of technical limitations, what are they doing on stage?
edit on 7-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I don't blame them for air guitaring. They said it was because of time constraints which does sound like a bunch of hooey. But the truth is the weather in the NE US has been awful. We've either had subzero temperatures or lots of snow or both. Electronics & instruments don't work well (if at all) under those conditions.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

They were not "caught." You really think that they thought no one would notice that they were not plugged in? No, of course they knew, they had no choice and decided to present the show as it really was by being very obvious and not plugging in their instruments. Anyone that knows ANYTHING about shows like this, knows that they rarely let the musicians play live music.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

faradaycage

They were not "caught." You really think that they thought no one would notice that they were not plugged in? No, of course they knew, they had no choice and decided to present the show as it really was by being very obvious and not plugging in their instruments. Anyone that knows ANYTHING about shows like this, knows that they rarely let the musicians play live music.

Then why go on stage? They make a living as musicians and singers, not as puppets or actors. Do you think the Beatles would have done this? Elvis? Jim Morrisson? They would have told the promoters to go whatever and laughed at them for even suggesting it. Hopefully this practice will end at some point, if more people called it out for what it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by meridie

This could be the beginning of a successful political career for Axl.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I wouldn't expect it to end a anytime soon. It's a pretty standard practice at the Superbowl. I was more surprised that the vocals were live and not prerecorded tracks. Keep in mind tgat this isn't how most bands normally perform, it's a concession made to perform at the Super Bowl and sometimes you've got to suck it up for promotional purposes. Is it obnoxious? Absolutely. But don't think that this is how the Chilli Peppers normally conduct business.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I dread to think what Jim Morrison might have done, given those 'restrictions'. Or Frank Zappa, for that matter. I'm sure they wouldn't have taken it lying down and that might have led to some true entertainment.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Trueman
reply to post by meridie

This could be the beginning of a successful political career for Axl.

I was thinking, after this, we could call him the PJ O'Rourke of metal.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by meridie

They'd never even be tasked with doing the Super Bowl show. There are plenty of performers who have the integrity not to fake a live perform still around, but none of them are ever called to do a Super Bowl show.

The half time show is the worst thing about the Super Bowl. Blatant crap.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
well I know its not the superbowl ( whats with that name for a sporting contest?) but,
Its better than meatloaf live at the AFL grandfinal

www.triplem.com.au...

Prerecorded music isnt that bad

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It was pretty evident that they were miming. Whether those actually in the audience knew, I don't know.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by faradaycage

They didnt need to plug in. Ive havent plugged my keys and guitar into an amp or line-out for 15 years. There is a little remote control looking device (wireless transmitter or "mic")that fits on either the strap or waist in the pants of the players. It broadcasts on a certain frequency back to the amp or even the PA board itself.

This has been going on for over 25 years now. So dont say you didnt see it "plugged in" because it doesnt NEED to be.

Now...if we all can watch the entire performance...and from all angles we see no transmitter on the strap or pants of either guitar player....then THAT is definitely suspicious...because to go wireless, there HAS to be a transmitter from the instrument.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

meridie

I dread to think what Jim Morrison might have done, given those 'restrictions'. Or Frank Zappa, for that matter. I'm sure they wouldn't have taken it lying down and that might have led to some true entertainment.

Well, here's what happened when "Top of the Pops" insisted that Nirvana 'mime' instead of play.

edit on Feb 7th 2014 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Chilli Vanilli

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hey just like millie vanillie...
why do bands named after food always seem to be lip ( their @$$ micro ship is... ) sinking...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

That Nirvana clip was priceless.

There are days when I miss Kurt...and I wasn't even a huge fan. After watching that vid, this was definitely one of them.

Thanks for posting it.

top topics

join