It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2.3 Million American Children + 1.5(mil) Workers HUNGRY and going HOMELESS (6 month UE Limit)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Xtrozero

Rezlooper

2) I live in the north woods of Wisconsin and many old friends who I went to school with went into the construction trade not long out of school and for years they all did pretty well, but when the housing market collapsed you can imagine the hit they took. It hasn't recovered and many of these guys are still hurting. They are in competition with each other for the few jobs out there. Some have turned to other occupations and still struggle in those. And anyone who is from the north where winter's hit pretty hard knows that there are very few jobs this time of the year. That alone makes for Jan. 1 a terrible time to cut off that many folks because now they have no choice but to get to work and the work just isn't there...in my neck of the woods anyways.

There are many points to all this that a person could write a book on, so I'll leave it at that.

I think many are unwilling to move and in these times a person needs to move to the job and not wait for the job to come to them. I also heard that the main reason for hiring to be flat this year is that employers can not find "skilled" workers. I'm starting to wonder if people are investing their time to get degrees that have no direct connection to a viable skill and so end up being worthless.

I think you are wrong. Let me tell you why. I'm in the same position your describing. I work as an IT helpdesk person, doing IT work over the phone and have been looking for a job more in line with my degree for over a year, pretty much since I graduated.

I am willing to move, I'm qualified for at least a starting position in my field and could probably do work that "requireds experience" even though I'll never be given the oppurtunity to prove it.

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Graphics Technology, which is what everyone said there would be a future during my high school years.

I also have an Assosciate's degree in Computer Science Technology.

I can do illustration, photo, video manipulation using the Adobe suite (photoshop, illustrator, premiere)

I can draw, I code websites (although that's not my strong suite).

I can do CAD work, (Computer Aided Design)...think blueprints on the computer

During this time I've had one interview for a CAD job which I didn't get. I'm not mad I didn't get it, that just means someone else got it. Fair enough. But that's one job in a year and half of searching that has even let me get an interview. On illustration and video editing type jobs, which is really what I'm most attracted to, I don't seem to be qualified to even aplly to the majority that I find.

Many of those jobs seem to require 2-4 years experience at a minimum. I have the experience of my classes and of an internship I had during my senior year and that's it. In my spare time I decided to just work on creative projects to hone my skills and build up a portfolio to display my ability, but beyond that. What should I do? I shouldn't have to get a #ing Master's degree in my field to get a starting position. Please suggest something constructive. I'm all ears.
edit on 7-2-2014 by GrimReaper86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GrimReaper86

I think many are unwilling to move and in these times a person needs to move to the job and not wait for the job to come to them. I also heard that the main reason for hiring to be flat this year is that employers can not find "skilled" workers. I'm starting to wonder if people are investing their time to get degrees that have no direct connection to a viable skill and so end up being worthless.

They cant find skilled workers because there's no entry level jobs anymore.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Xtrozero

Rezlooper

2) I live in the north woods of Wisconsin and many old friends who I went to school with went into the construction trade not long out of school and for years they all did pretty well, but when the housing market collapsed you can imagine the hit they took. It hasn't recovered and many of these guys are still hurting. They are in competition with each other for the few jobs out there. Some have turned to other occupations and still struggle in those. And anyone who is from the north where winter's hit pretty hard knows that there are very few jobs this time of the year. That alone makes for Jan. 1 a terrible time to cut off that many folks because now they have no choice but to get to work and the work just isn't there...in my neck of the woods anyways.

There are many points to all this that a person could write a book on, so I'll leave it at that.

Moving isn't as easy as you think. What if you are already broke, unless the new job pay's for your moving expenses it's nearly impossible to move. Moving is very expensive.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by slunteri

I am pretty sure you are all BS. I am self made and after all the hard work and things I've had to do to make it while seeing others fail it has left me really appreciating what I have earned. I am very lucky to be where I am as well, I moved to Alberta at the perfect time and love building houses for people.

Your attitude sounds like spoiled kid with no degree or class. Life certainly is not fair but that does not mean I'll take what I have for granted while mocking other for having not.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

NthOther
GET A JOB AND STOP BITCHING.

Walmart is hiring. Circle K is hiring. McDonald's is hiring. Yes, they may be "beneath you", but don't complain about not being able to find a job. That's total BS and everyone knows it. I know plenty of people who are working crap jobs after making 6 figures in our bogus inflated economy of a few years ago. They sucked it up, grew some balls and got a job.

I have NO sympathy for the unemployed AT ALL. There are plenty of jobs available. You just have to tuck your ridiculous ego aside and take the work you can find. Like a man.

I agree, I did this actually, just so I could be close to my kids.

I left a good job, and now work at a crap job, but I get to see the kiddos every day, so it all works out until i can find somthing better.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Rezlooper

Moving isn't as easy as you think. What if you are already broke, unless the new job pay's for your moving expenses it's nearly impossible to move. Moving is very expensive.

Sometimes you just load up the truck and move, or U-Haul maybe? Get the job then work it for a little while staying some place cheap, then move. I don't have the answers, but take Detroit, there are no jobs so people have two choices, stay there and don't work or move.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   

GrimReaper86
Many of those jobs seem to require 2-4 years experience at a minimum. I have the experience of my classes and of an internship I had during my senior year and that's it. In my spare time I decided to just work on creative projects to hone my skills and build up a portfolio to display my ability, but beyond that. What should I do? I shouldn't have to get a #ing Master's degree in my field to get a starting position. Please suggest something constructive. I'm all ears.

You have the scenario that I think most 99%ers have. They went to college, worked hard, got 60k in debt. They were told what degrees got you a good job, 100k job many time, so they got those degrees. They leave college and no job, no nothing, but 60k in debt. I see it a lot, and the only thing you can do is flood the market across the country with your resume and if no one is hiring then that means you need to go another path, get a different skill that employers want.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

doobydoll

NthOther
GET A JOB AND STOP BITCHING.

Walmart is hiring. Circle K is hiring. McDonald's is hiring. Yes, they may be "beneath you", but don't complain about not being able to find a job. That's total BS and everyone knows it. I know plenty of people who are working crap jobs after making 6 figures in our bogus inflated economy of a few years ago. They sucked it up, grew some balls and got a job.

I have NO sympathy for the unemployed AT ALL. There are plenty of jobs available. You just have to tuck your ridiculous ego aside and take the work you can find. Like a man.

All pay minimum wage and that means still skint and still forced to claim benefits. The only difference is you're busting your buns for it. And so they move the 'goalposts' and now tell you that you now have to get two jobs, or three, or more.

Well I for one am done with jumping through hoops. I'll carry on applying for jobs but I'm not gonna carry on worrying about being unemployed. I'm sick of hearing what's expected of me and what I should be doing, talking down to me as if I'm not doing enough. So here's what I expect - I want a contract of employment with regular hours and a wage I can live on, nothing more and certainly nothing less. It is the least I think my labour is worth, it is the least I think anyone's sweat is worth.

I believe that if I work, I have a right to expect an acceptable standard of living in the society to which I contribute my labour, no matter what type of labour. I don't want a career and I don't expect daft wages for unskilled work, I just expect a basic standard of living. So I've decided that if I can't live on it, I'm not doing it. The minimum wage should at least provide a minimum living.

It's no good moaning about people not working when these minimum pay jobs are not secure, and won't get them off benefits anyway. Unemployed people are human beings, not fools.

I'll probably get jumped on for this post, but I really am past caring.

edit on 7-2-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

Exactly!!!!

I am only making it because my ex, her boyfriend and I are all roomies, we have 3 incomes, and are not doing well. We are getting by on 3....count them again 3, full time jobs, mine has a minimum of 8 hours of overtime a week at least 4 out of 5 times, and sometimes I work 7 days a week.

This is stupid, my company is a fortune 500 company making hundreds of millions a year, every dollar of that is made by someone just like me doing the actual profit making work, yet the only people being compensated well in any way are the only people not actually producing any profits.

Labor is and always has been the most important part of any business, it is time we stand up and demand a decent cut of what we produce.

The NFL players get a decent cut for playing a game, people always say, they are the ones making all the money possible they deserve it. Well so is the cashier, the gas station attendant, the shelf stocker, the laborer in the factory....etc.

If the NFL players got paid like most of us they would be making about $100,000 on average.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

ketsuko
reply to post by spooky24

Basically, every change in regulatory policy, every major change in law alters costs at all levels. It all has ripple effects, and until businesses can accurately predict how it will affect their overhead, they are reluctant to risk spending capital in new ventures.

Right now, businesses are eyeballing the EPA's so-called energy policies because on top of skyrocketing cost of benefits, those will make their energy costs soar.

All of that increases overhead, and it means adjusting things in terms of juggling prices and employee load.

The problem at present is an easy one.

In the 90's it became acceptable for businesses to treat people as objects and not people, "the business" has been elevated somehow to being more important than the people making "the business" profitable.

A business is an abstract, it doesnt even really exist, yes there are physical buildings, and equipment etc.... but it is no more real than any thought.

People are real, they require X amount of resources to live. They cant honestly be expect to spend more time at "the business" making all those profits than they do at home with their families, yet not make enough resources to survive. This is insanity, and your trying to make it sound ok or legit is shameful at best.

A business or its rediculous profits sre NEVER more important than the actual living people making them. I am not saying the workers deserve all or even most of the profits, i am simply saying they deserve a fare share of the profits.

Wal-mart is not doing this, McDonalds is not doing this, Burger King is not doing this.....etc to infinity for basically ever large company in the U.S.

To them you are nothing but an object to be used for all your worth then tossed away with little in the way of any compensation, though you made a few dollars an hour for you labors, and for every dollar you made in profit they made 50 just off you, or likely more in a lot of cases, workers have expenses as well, car payment to drive to work, car insurance to drive the car, food to keep you alive, refrigerator and stove to cook and keep said food, house to hold it all and protect you from the elements.

I am tired of hearing how businesses have all these expenses bla bla bla, they have to spend soo much just to employ you.

The worker has to spend a lot also just to get to work, and have clean clothes required to work, and food to be healthy enough to work.

This is currently a parasitic system, where business takes as much as it can at all times from everyone, and gives as little back to the worker as it can at all times.

I am sick of this tape worm economy, I am not even close to the only one.

If this doesnt change soon, I will also become a parasite, but like all those that dont work, and wont work, but will take as much as they can all time, while giving nothing back as they sit on the couch all day.

This is going to be the end result of your thinking, follow it to its conclusion, think long view big picture, why should I work for $25,000 a year when I can make $35,000 a year on welfare by not working?

I do it because I am not a sponge, but I can become one, and in fact am currently trying to talk myself into it, I just have pride. I want to work for what I get, but whats the point if I can get more by not working?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

GrimReaper86

Xtrozero

Rezlooper

I think you are wrong. Let me tell you why. I'm in the same position your describing. I work as an IT helpdesk person, doing IT work over the phone and have been looking for a job more in line with my degree for over a year, pretty much since I graduated.

I am willing to move, I'm qualified for at least a starting position in my field and could probably do work that "requireds experience" even though I'll never be given the oppurtunity to prove it.

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Graphics Technology, which is what everyone said there would be a future during my high school years.

I also have an Assosciate's degree in Computer Science Technology.

I can do illustration, photo, video manipulation using the Adobe suite (photoshop, illustrator, premiere)

I can draw, I code websites (although that's not my strong suite).

I can do CAD work, (Computer Aided Design)...think blueprints on the computer

During this time I've had one interview for a CAD job which I didn't get. I'm not mad I didn't get it, that just means someone else got it. Fair enough. But that's one job in a year and half of searching that has even let me get an interview. On illustration and video editing type jobs, which is really what I'm most attracted to, I don't seem to be qualified to even aplly to the majority that I find.

I will tell you what you could do, or could have done really.

Be born into a better family with connections, then you wouldnt even have to go to your classes and would have passed top honors. Would have been handed the job of your dreams, and be set for life never having actually done anything productive for society as a whole your entire life.

This is the way to get ahead these days, you have to be born into or know the right people, this is it, unless your the one guy like a Bill Gates or Sam Walton etc....

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

What do you do for a living sir? You sound like you don't have it too bad. Not that I know. Which is why I'm asking, but there are only a few fields I know of that have definite futures. The medical field is one. Always sick/hurt people in the world. Hell it even runs in my family, lots of nurses on my moms side. Do I really have the money and the time to work full time and go back to school for something that will take as long as I imagine a serious medical degree of any sort would take? No. I don't know man. I'd try anything. Truthfully I'd love an education system that went back to the work apprentice system. Where one learned a craft through first hand experience under the careful guidance of someone well mastered in the craft. But that's another tangent entirely....sorry it's late and I'm tire. Goodnight, but please do answer the question. What do you do for a living?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

GrimReaper86

What do you do for a living sir? You sound like you don't have it too bad. Not that I know. Which is why I'm asking, but there are only a few fields I know of that have definite futures.

I spent 28 years in the military and I have a rather good retirement from that. I now fly drones and make rather good money at that too. What I have is college degrees, TS clearance, skills...

I know these last 5 or 6 years has been hell for many, but for people that do work with a good salary it has been great. My cars are on zero interest loans and my house is on a 3.2% 30 year fix. For me the military was a lot of fun and I'll never be broke unless the Government totally fails, I also have 3 health insurances. Tri-care, the companies and VA.

The medical field is one. Always sick/hurt people in the world. Hell it even runs in my family, lots of nurses on my moms side. Do I really have the money and the time to work full time and go back to school for something that will take as long as I imagine a serious medical degree of any sort would take? No. I don't know man. I'd try anything. Truthfully I'd love an education system that went back to the work apprentice system. Where one learned a craft through first hand experience under the careful guidance of someone well mastered in the craft. But that's another tangent entirely....sorry it's late and I'm tire. Goodnight, but please do answer the question. What do you do for a living?

Had a Plummer come to my house today and he worked for about 20 mins and I paid him 138 bucks (no parts).. hehe that doesn't sound too bad...

Medical field will always be in need. Anther one is to own a dump truck... There is a never ending need for them. Stay away from services, just doesn't pay never has never will. The key is to have skills that someone wants. My degrees do little for me, but the fact that I hold TS clearance is an instant job, and that I'm a pilot and fly drones is not a job that anyone off the street can get and it will never be outsourced overseas.

Go into the military and get a TS and you will have a job for life....

edit on 8-2-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Think of it this way - If I grow a tomato plant to sell the tomatoes, any money I make is wealth I created by my own initiative. It would not have existed had I not grown the plant, harvested the tomatoes, and sold them. Your presumption of wealth being finite would hold that because I grew those tomatoes, I somehow stole them from someone else, somewhere, but that's impossible. The plant wouldn't have existed without me growing it and putting in the effort to make something of it.
reply to post by ketsuko

Well, "you + product + consumer = money" does not form a full picture of an employee and salary structure of a major corporation.

The 1% who control have the funds are NOT inherently guilty because they have what they have (you are right). But the system IS inherently flawed because it allows them to have what they have, while so many others are literally dying of starvation.
edit on 8-2-2014 by Infinitis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

Is anything of this being reported in your mainstream news outlets? If so, when did it begin and has the narrative focused on helping the middle classes point the big fat finger of blame at the workless, the homeless, the disabled, the dispossessed? Is there an army of clerical and administrative workers collecting data on how this hidden austerity measure impacts on people?

I ask these things only because I see a global push to eradicate the poor. Certainly, here in the UK, the impact of even overt austerity is (apparently) misunderstood by the very people responsible for implementing it.

There has been very little awareness of the extent of the problem.

In the news they never explain how soon people are being cut off benefits, and always refer to them as "extended" benefits.

The reason I created the thread was because so many people I have spoken to, think that it is only people who have been on benefits for years or over a year, etc.

-- There is a growing isolation of businesses which can pay what is now considered "middle class wage". They are being pushed by excessive government taxation as well as corporate greed to relocate to the cheapest areas they can find, so they can pay their workers less and less.

This of course leaves the town the business left, with thousands of workers that must now settle for a job making pennies at a place like WalMart - and we know how they treat their employees.

Unfortunately the Walmart career (equivalent of "would you like fries with that") is becoming the norm.

And I am talking about thousands of previously well paid, degree toting, hard working people.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Companies these days would prefer to not have to pay workers at all.

A couple of decades ago, I used to joke with friends and relatives that one day we'll have to pay companies to employ us instead of the other way around. I used to joke about it because at the time it sounded too ridiculous to ever be true.

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

That ridiculous 'joke' is today's reality. Our gov pays companies to take on unpaid 'workfare' labour. That's right, they are given taxpayers cash for not paying workers. I still shake my head in disbelief.

The world's gone totally la-la.
edit on 8-2-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

A good explanation and business administration is somewhat over my head. I agree with the gentleman that suggested the Military as a better route to college as opposed to borrowing the money in the form of a student loan.

Also, this problem is regional and seems to effect different areas of the country in a different way. Boy, was that a crappy sentence. Perhaps, the nationalization policy to attack the problem could in it's self be the issue. Rather that the Federal government trying to solve everyone's problems it seems simpler to give states the power to solve their particular crisis themselves.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

doobydoll
reply to post by oblvion

Companies these days would prefer to not have to pay workers at all.

A couple of decades ago, I used to joke with friends and relatives that one day we'll have to pay companies to employ us instead of the other way around. I used to joke about it because at the time it sounded too ridiculous to ever be true.

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

That ridiculous 'joke' is today's reality. Our gov pays companies to take on unpaid 'workfare' labour. That's right, they are given taxpayers cash for not paying workers. I still shake my head in disbelief.

The world's gone totally la-la.
edit on 8-2-2014 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

Have you ever noticed the government has absolutely no problems with giving money away to people who don't need it, but act like it is a crime to give even a single dollar to those that do? TARP QE3 etc.....

In just those 2 programs they gave trillions, that's TRILLIONS of dollars to the already filthy rich, more in fact than they have paid in welfare etc...in decades.

Inflating the market in quantitive easing only helped the very top of the pyramid, as all us at the bottom aren't investing, we don't have any money to invest. Which is why all recovery nonsense is strait BS, only the stock market has recovered which doesn't help one single regular Joe, as we can't afford to invest in it, it only makes the filthy rich richer, this is what they call a recovery.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Rezlooper

Xtrozero

Rezlooper

He is right though and Northern Wi is a perfect example. Many of the counties have had a declining population since the 1920's. Young people are moving away by the thousands after they graduate from school. The economic future there hasn't looked good for decades.

There simply is no work there and it has been that way for awhile. How long does one cling on before they move on? If someone is unwilling to try, should the government support them?

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Perhaps you haven't noticed, but this week, "progressives" are applauding a smaller workforce and the "freedom" Obamacare gives millions NOT to work!

In fact, USN&WR says this is a really good thing:

What the truth might be, and what few politicians would dare say, is there might simply be some value in lower economic growth."
Danielle Kurtzleben, associate editor, U.S. News & World Report

www.usnews.com...

I don't know what all the worry is about; isn't this EXACTLY what ACA advocates and Obama acolytes wanted?

jw

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

spooky24
reply to post by ketsuko

Rather that the Federal government trying to solve everyone's problems it seems simpler to give states the power to solve their particular crisis themselves.

I'm pretty sure that was the idea behind the 10th amendment, federalism, and "states' rights."
Did it take "the great recession" for some to see that there's a downside to federal government intrusion and overreach?

jw

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join