It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2.3 Million American Children + 1.5(mil) Workers HUNGRY and going HOMELESS (6 month UE Limit)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
For some reason it has come to my attention that very few people realize what is happening with our country's unemployed at this time.

Anyone who has had unemployment benefits for 6 MONTHS or more have been cut off as of December 31.

Most people seem to be under the impression that only people who have had benefits for years, are being cut off. This is not the case.

I unfortunately was Laid off June 1st of 2013, and was lucky enough to qualify for 1 year of UE benifits. However, as I search a fading market place for a job, I find my APPROVED unemployment benefit is being cut off half way through what I was told I would get.

In addition to cutting off Unemployment for anyone who was laid off 6 months or longer ago, they are also SLASHING food stamp funding, so people cannot even get food and essentials let alone have a place to live.

I do not understand why so many people are unaware of this, and it is not on the news. OVER 1.5 MILLION have been cut off from benefits, and it IS NOT just people who have been abusing the system.

I am lucky enough to have found work (having to move across the country for it) but I am scared to think what this will lead to.

If people cannot eat, theft will be the first thing that you see increase, across suburban areas, then comes theft from retailers, and of course increases in other violent crimes.

Some states offer Mortgage Assistance programs that were supposed to last for a year, but they are dependent on Unemployment Income, so as soon as they cut off the Unemployment after 6 months (even though you were approved for more), they will then cut off the mortgage assistance program (I know from experience). Not to mention that it took about 2 months to get the mortgage assistance program going, so really you only get about 4 months at most of the promised 12 months assistance.

How is this legal, and how are people not protesting in mass?

Sources:

www.nytimes.com...

newsone.com...
edit on 7-2-2014 by Infinitis because: (no reason given)

thinkprogress.org...

+26 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Infinitis

Everyone on unemployement and food stamp benefits are actually rich dealers abusing the system.

Theres no real people struggling to survive in the US its all lazy people and abusers.

Everyone else refuses to get one of the amazing jobs that are EVERYWHERE all over the market.

The ones i cant find no matter how hard i try.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   

onequestion

Everyone on unemployement and food stamp benefits are actually rich dealers abusing the system.

Theres no real people struggling to survive in the US its all lazy people and abusers.

Everyone else refuses to get one of the amazing jobs that are EVERYWHERE all over the market.

The ones i cant find no matter how hard i try.

God...you just have a way shoving the point home followed by a swift kick to the nuts.

You should write for the onion, I mean that, like an entire article chronicling the current state of things, along with video of you interviewing rich folks that are oblivious. I bet you could even get them to say a lot of the things you just did, though they would mean it.

Try to find funding for this project, or apply for a grant for an economic documentary.

I think this might be your true calling in life.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Its 1.5 million out of 100 million people not working.

If this is the first cut, its nothing. This cut is childs play to the real cuts coming.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Why have I never had a problem finding work? Ever. Am I that much better than you?

6 months on unemployment is ridiculous. Cowboy up and do something with yourself other than whining.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Thank you for your contribution...

But that is very much incorrect.

In the latest reports American Unemployed is at 6.7%,

There are 10,351,000 Americans who are Unemployed....

My numbers in the title are related to ONLY the people who were affected by the recent cut off of unemployment benefits.

Sources:
www.deptofnumbers.com...
data.bls.gov...

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by slunteri

If you took the time to read my post you would see that I have found work, and will be moving across the country in order to do so. So please take your comments about Cowboy-ing up somewhere else.

I am concerned about the 10 Million Americans who cannot find work, not you and I who have been blessed (or lucky if you don't believe in God) to have the opportunity to work.

With over 10 Million unemployed, I think there is more of an issue than people not being willing to "Cowboy up"...

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

slunteri

Why have I never had a problem finding work? Ever. Am I that much better than you?

6 months on unemployment is ridiculous. Cowboy up and do something with yourself other than whining.

Where do you live? What sector of the economy are you employed in?

A lot of people, millions in fact, are currently having trouble finding employment.

I was making $16 an hour doing industrial maintenance and installation, but had to move, long story, but ex wife wanted to move to Texas, she couldn't unless I OKed it, I said OK, didn't want to be away from the kiddos....I moved to Texas.

Been working a crap job for crap pay almost a year now, but I get enough hours to get by on. This is not living though, it is getting by.

I have mostly done construction and mechanical/industrial work my whole life, but haven't found anyone hiring down here yet.

I may have to go to the oilfields soon if something else doesn't pan out.

Most of us work 40+ there just aren't enough actual good jobs to go around.

How do you not see this?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

I read your mewling. I guess Im just always lucky. I guess Im lucky to be up at 4 am working. Lucky me.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Yes, at least we can agree there.

You and I are both very lucky.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Infinitis

If you took the time to read my post you would see that I have found work, and will be moving across the country in order to do so. So please take your comments about Cowboy-ing up somewhere else.

I am concerned about the 10 Million Americans who cannot find work, not you and I who have been blessed (or lucky if you don't believe in God) to have the opportunity to work.

With over 10 Million unemployed, I think there is more of an issue than people not being willing to "Cowboy up"...

Exactly, a lot of us are currently occupying the jobs a lot of these people normally would have.

This year was terrible, I barely broke $20,000, for the first time since I was 16 years old. I made more money as a kid at home in highschool than I am right now, this is messed up.

The world will turn though, or I will die...either way problem solved I guess.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

slunteri

I read your mewling. I guess Im just always lucky. I guess Im lucky to be up at 4 am working. Lucky me.

I have been working nights 6 days a week for almost a year, don't whine, your doing better than most, at least your up at 4 am working, those bills don't pay themselves.

I am thankful to be getting what I am ATM, there are a lot of folks here staying in shelters and on the streets.......it is not what I am used to seeing. Where I come from there aren't very many homeless, maybe because it is all but impossible to be on the streets in an Indiana winter, and Texas is not so bad in comparison.

Hell I don't know why, maybe they are on drugs, but I believe one needs a job for that, at least in my experience.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

6% of the us is what, 18 million?

That alone is scary. But those numbers lie.

There were 136,877,000 jobs in the US in December 2013 according to the CES survey of employers. The CPS survey of households showed 144,586,000 employed persons for the month.

So, theres 10 million more people working then there are jobs. Ok how the hell do you figure that out?

Thats out of a population of 330 million.

Do the math.Website

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Do you get it now? NO ONE CARES.

You are crying out to hearts that have been turned cold by propaganda and brainwashing.

Don't you see the collective reaction that they have been conditioned to? That "John Wayne" tough guy crap.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Is anything of this being reported in your mainstream news outlets? If so, when did it begin and has the narrative focused on helping the middle classes point the big fat finger of blame at the workless, the homeless, the disabled, the dispossessed? Is there an army of clerical and administrative workers collecting data on how this hidden austerity measure impacts on people?

I ask these things only because I see a global push to eradicate the poor. Certainly, here in the UK, the impact of even overt austerity is (apparently) misunderstood by the very people responsible for implementing it. We have a prime minister that regularly lies to parliament and his ministers believe him! They must have the mental acuity of drones to not understand that omission to carry out full impact assessments followed by refusal to publish the data on deaths of those now in non receipt of income to survive in our material culture means their policy before people ethos is killing people.

Are there any members here from other parts of the world seeing the living conditions of the poorest in their societies being remorselessly attacked and eroded by government whilst the media adopts and promotes blame culture singling out the poor as the cause of all the worlds financial ills? Are you seeing the middle classes in your country baying like jackels at those that have no voice?

Has compassion been replaced by disgust in your country and if so, who do you think is behind it?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Hey OP...

There is not just the Good old US of A in the world...

Take a look at ATS statistics... there are other people outside of that wall who are members of ATS that you have built around yourselves?

Just saying...

*prepares anti flame device for anti-world members outside of the USA*

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   

The same is happening in the UK. The cause of it all are politicians whom loot the taxpayer pot to fund their personal luxuries, give their rich chums tax cuts, set up platinum-plated pensions for themselves, and then tell the rest of us we can't have any help when we need it from the pot we help to fill. They have made it so only they can take whatever they want whenever they want it. They are the only UK citizens whom do not have to be means-tested to claim taxpayer money, the rest of us are grilled under a spotlight and if we are successful, we are then branded bone-idle drug-addicted alcoholics by MP's and the media.

Sounds like Cameron and Obama have lots in common - didn't Obama treat his wife to a $60,000 birthday present using taxpayer money recently?

Our whole benefit system was set up so that no citizen fell below acceptable living standards, it wasn't set up for rich politicians to dip their bread and soak it up with extravagant claims, pensions, and lifestyles.

It came to light recently that our gov is only 40% way through it's budget-cut plans, and we have another 60% of cuts yet to look forward to, yet MP's are commissioning oil paintings of themselves, costing the taxpayers £10,000 and upwards for each one. In times of austerity, how can they justify this but cut off benefits for unemployed and disabled?

The much hated 'bedroom-tax' and benefit sanctions is causing people to become homeless, but our government addresses this by making it illegal to sleep rough! www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk...

2015 can't come quick enough for me.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
So many people are dealing with problems of their own, whether it be finance & job related, or other.

It's tough to watch the low class and those who still think they are middle class, being tricked into turning on each other as our ability to have a "voice" among those who make the rules slowly fades away.

From what I can see, there is an attempt to get as many people working minimum wage as possible. Jobs for "middle class" are being shipped away to Texas and other areas where it is cheap to do business.

As major corporations (the few who can still pay a "middle class" salary) flee from high priced areas and over taxed states, the cities are left with workers being forced to relocate or join the minimum wage army, which most likely means working two jobs and having little time for anything else (It's important to keep the population "occupied" in un-creative drone roles, so they don't get too many ideas - the reason our education system has been dumbed down, and become so repetitive - why do we need to take English courses until we are 18? our school system was built into a repetitive mindless process long ago, because the next step was converting all jobs to the same).

Look at how salaries are structured in our corporations. Why is there parabolic growth as you advance up the chain. I am lucky enough to be making more than I deserve, and I do not understand how the elites of the corporations can justify paying their employees pennies to their millions (it shows what they really think of your worth).

Tax rates increase for incomes up to about $400,000 yearly income for an individual.

Believe it or not, if you look at the range of income for Americans (not averaging), that puts $400,000 less than middle class.

So that means we have increased tax rates the higher middle class you are, but the increase ENDS after $400,001 which means that the elite making millions and billions per year are not subject to a relative equivalent tax rate increase.

They essentially max out, and collect the benefits of which, that is not available to anyone lower to upper "middle class".

Marginal tax rates for 2013[edit]
Marginal Tax Rate[13][14][15] Single Married Filing Jointly or Qualified Widow(er) Married Filing Separately Head of Household
10% $0 – $8,925 $0 – $17,850 $0 – $8,925 $0 – $12,750
15% $8,926 – $36,250 $17,851 – $72,500 $8,926 – $36,250 $12,751 – $48,600
25% $36,251 – $87,850 $72,501 – $146,400 $36,251 – $73,200 $48,601 – $125,450
28% $87,851 – $183,250 $146,401 – $223,050 $73,201 – $111,525 $125,451 – $203,150
33% $183,251 – $398,350 $223,051 – $398,350 $111,526 – $199,175 $203,151 – $398,350
35% $398,351 – $400,000 $398,351 – $450,000 $199,176 – $225,000 $398,351 – $425,000
39.6% $400,001+ $450,001+ $225,001+ $425,001+

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

But rest assured, those people who don't work at all get welfare and free housing and endless food stamps.

Shame on you for being an able bodied person!

As for work, during harvest season, come on down to GA. Due to current harsh immigration laws, we need more laborers. You can make 15-20 an hour if you are fast enough. Most farmers pay in cash.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

anyone can find a job that pays more than unemployment in 4 months or less. Seriously a year of saying you can't find a job?? look on craigslist there plenty listed. We all saw what the unemployed did when Wal-Mart helped them out and let them use their cards when the system went down, they basically looted the store!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join