It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Response to Sochi Problems Goes Creepily Wrong

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Russian Response to Sochi Problems Goes Creepily Wrong

The press arrived in Sochi this week for the Winter Olympics, and it did not go well.

Tweets, photos and full-on articles told the world of shoddy, unfinished accommodations that gave Vladimir Putin's Olympic Games a black eye before they'd even started. Russian officials remained largely mum as Sochi's unfinished construction — rooms without doorhandles, toilets that can't flush paper — became the story of the week that ends Friday with the Olympics' opening ceremony.

Then, on Thursday, a Russian official finally addressed reporters, ostensibly to set the media straight and correct the false narrative that gained so much momentum.

So according to Russia the media is responsible for making "false claims" about the conditions in Sochi. How did the Russians support their claim?

His response, according to The Wall Street Journal, boiled down to this: Some reporters are sabotaging Sochi's Olympics accommodations for splashy headlines. Russian officials know this because they have surveillance cameras in hotel rooms. And at least some of those surveillance cameras are focused on hotel showers.

"We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day," Dmitry Kozak, the deputy prime minister who oversaw Russia's Olympic prep, told the Journal.

Apparently the operation to blame the reporters is called Operation out of the Frying Pan.... Is it possible to walk this back?

A spokesperson for Kozak later denied that hotel rooms or bathrooms in Sochi have surveillance cameras, according to the Journal. The spokesperson said Kozak was likely referring to surveillance done at hotel sites during construction.

Cameras or no cameras, Kozak's response does not come from the Public Relations Hall of Fame and it appears to have horrified Kozak's handlers. The Journal reports that an aide immediately "pulled a reporter away before Mr. Kozak could be questioned further on surveillance in hotel rooms. 'We're doing a tour of the media center,' the aide said."

Here is the pitch.....

Swing and a miss....

I have a bad feeling about these Olympics... Its like watching the Russian version of Obamacare being rolled out.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Ah ha ha! That's awesome!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well, everyone was warned about no expectations of privacy (incl in your hotel) before hand...

of course, that was supposedly with reference to tech gadgets (computers, phones, etc)

I'm not really surprised by either claim - spying and sabotage

Good times for all.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
HAHA! (in bad russian accent) What you mean there no floor? look at feet, see, floor. We put there today after reporter use shower to wash floor off.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Oh my lord, just when i thought they couldnt possibly mess it up more......

Im so glad im not an athlete there, especially a gay athlete.

+39 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
the nsa wants to catch me masterbating...the russians want to catch me masterbating....its all about catching people masterbating

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well, it's no secret that a LOT of the athletes "get it on" inside the Olympic village. I've heard interviews and it sounds like it's one wild party with a lot of hooking up.

Maybe the Russians want to get into the black market adult film industry?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Another thread already on this topic. On there I mentioned that maybe the camera was in the shower wall, somebody found it, and turned the shower on it all day. And that would have used up all the water for the whole neighborhood.

In unsoviet Russia you clean the shower.
edit on 6-2-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

cosmicexplorer
the nsa wants to catch me masterbating...the russians want to catch me masterbating....its all about catching people masterbating

lol i am thinking you want to be caught masterbating

back on topic...this should be an interesting set of events to unfold....maybe with all that surveillance they will be introducing a new event....exhibitionism !

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
Well, it's no secret that a LOT of the athletes "get it on" inside the Olympic village. I've heard interviews and it sounds like it's one wild party with a lot of hooking up.

Maybe the Russians want to get into the black market adult film industry?

I knew a couple when I was in college. You'd be correct. Anyone who is training at that level and traveling and competing on that circuit is moving from party to party basically.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

And I always felt I was being a bit paranoid when I stayed in a hotel.

Arive: emediatly close the curtains and clip or safety-pin the edges together then grab every extra blanket and cover the mirrors.

Guess now I have to tape off every vent and hole in the wall.

*knock-knock*..."Excuse me sir, but our cameras show you're faping a bit too much to that Miley Cyrus video. We're gona have to confiscate the remote."

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The media seemed to get the worst conditions. I think the Russians simply hate journalism to the degree they didn't care about accommodating them in the least. And probably the competing nations teams are not nearly taken care as well as their own.

Best guess!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

haha no i dont but man the whole thing is so creepy...you know the bastards are looking in on models and movies stars just cause they can......some day when it all comes crashing down and the rubble is beneath my feet we will finally know all the answers!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Joki42
And I always felt I was being a bit paranoid when I stayed in a hotel.

I am not sure what's worse...

Surveillance cameras or knowing how often the bed sheets are actually washed.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

An absolutely awesome post! Love how the Russians have tried to save face but truthfully Xcathdra without YOUR presentation, wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

I think the whole thing is about masturbation in general.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Accidentally double posted
edit on 2/7/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I thought Russia was all about freedom and liberty and was way more advanced then even the US..........Ha,Ha,Ha. I can't wait for another US vs Russia thread to pop up. Every last little bit of credibility is gone.......Take a good hard look at the real Russia.

Just like China they are trying very hard to fit into the big boy pants. Maybe instead of all the talking they could actually try a little action like having toilets that can flush paper.
edit on 7-2-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer

Oh my! I hope they aren't planning on turning it into a new Olympic event.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Sounds like these Olympics will be a horror fest. In addition to the OP article, here's this.

www.nydailynews.com...

Don't flush the toilet, don’t drink the water and don’t expect a good night’s sleep.

Don't forget how to use a toilet!

Others were greeted with a diagram offering the proper use of the bathroom facilities.

No fishing was among the “don’ts.”

Next comes from Stacy St. Clair of the Chicago Tribune

“My hotel has no water,” she tweeted. “If restored, the front desk says, ‘do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous.’ ”

She later tweeted a somewhat terrifying picture of two glasses filled with a urine-colored liquid.

So how do they treat the newest of the newest reporters?

Another newcomer, a German photographer arrived to find his media hotel room unfinished. He was moved to a second room — where still-busy construction workers had taken up residence.

His third room was occupied — by a stray dog.

Atleast they've got CNN covered with the best of the best...

CNN sports producer Harry Reekie weighed in with a picture of his sad-looking accommodation: A broken curtain rod and dangling curtains.

CNN booked 11 rooms in the media hotels five months ago — but arrived to find only one available.

Can I have a door handle please?

Lightbulbs were at such a premium that Yahoo! Sports columnist Dan Wetzel was offering three of them for a single working door handle.

And just a few more wonders....

Dave Schwartz, a weekend sports anchor at KARE-TV in Minnesota, tweeted pictures of random cats wandering through the main media center.

BBC Moscow acting bureau chief Kevin Bishop reported that the floor — yes, the floor — was missing from behind the counter at their hotel reception desk.

Nobody needs a floor, right?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join