It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS Commissioner Apologizes for Targeting of Conservative Groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Flash !!
Bam !!
Pow !!

On Tuesday, the new head of the IRS apologized to conservative groups that were targeted by the agency.

IRS Commissioner John Koskinen’s remarks came while testifying before the House Ways and Means Committee. Koskinen, who was not in charge of the agency at the time of the unfolding scandal, said that such targeting would be “intolerable,” and he assured the House subcommittee that there is no ongoing targeting. “It won't happen going forward,” Koskinen said. “And to the extent that people suffered accordingly, I apologize for that.”

The comments from the Commissioner were not as brash as President Obama’s were on Sunday when he told Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly that there was “not even a smidgen of corruption” by the IRS.

IRS Commissioner Apologizes for Targeting of Conservative Groups

Ironic since Obama himself has been denying the scandals all along.

As recent as last Sunday, Obama said his famous quote “not even a smidgen of corruption” by the IRS.

[imo]This new sworn testimony is evidence that many *Smidgens* of corruption exist.
[/imo]

But in all "fairness", investigations are ongoing and not complete ... yet.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Did he say this before or after the e mail that showed a link between Lerner and the targeting come to light today?

The Obama administration’s Treasury Department and former IRS official Lois Lerner conspired to draft new 501(c)(4) regulations to restrict the activity of conservative groups in a way that would not be disclosed publicly, according to the House Committee on Ways and Means.

The Treasury Department and Lerner started devising the new rules “off-plan,” meaning that their plans would not be published on the public schedule. They planned the new rules in 2012, while the IRS targeting of conservative groups was in full swing, and not after the scandal broke in order to clarify regulations as the administration has suggested.

The rules would place much more stringent controls on what would be considered political activity by the IRS, effectively limiting the standard practices of a wide array of non-profit groups.

And is this after implementing the new rules that will pretty much discriminate against conservative groups anyway?

Sorry doesn't cut it.
edit on 6-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

Interesting !!

I bet he knew the content before it was "published".

Opens new doors now.

What will the White House say?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Sigh*

This is getting ridiculous. These liars all need to dragged off to prison after they're tarred and feathered. Then the prison needs to suffer a large earthquake. We all know who needs to be leading that new chain-gang.

We need to use RSS feeds just to keep up with the lies.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
More damning testimony in front of Congress !!

Cleta Mitchell told Congress today the IRS is still targeting conservative groups. Mitchell also said the "ongoing" DOJ investigation is a complete sham.

"I want to make three primary points here. First, the IRS scandal is real. It's not pretend, it's real. Number two, the IRS scandal is not just a bunch of bone-headed bureaucrats in some remote office contrary to what the President of the United States told the American People on Sunday. And, number 3, the IRS scandal is not over. It is continuing to this day. And, the Department of Justice Investigation is a sham. It is a nonexistent investigation."

Obama is surely sizzling right about now.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The IRS Commissioner is obviously not loyal to the crown.

He's not supposed to apologise to the people, he's only supposed to apologise to the emperor.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
More from the Congressional hearing.

All under oath too.

King Street Patriots founder Catherine Engelbrecht, one of many conservatives who claim they were unfairly targeted by the IRS when applying for tax-exempt status, told Congress Thursday that she is “more determined ever than before to stand before you and to all of America and say that I will not retreat.”

[video.in.article]
Witness at IRS Hearing: ‘I Will Not Retreat; I Will Not Surrender’

overtime.at.whitehouse.tonight.gub
-signed,
Valerie.Jarret.period.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Since we don't get to 'apologize' to the IRS they don't get to 'apologize' to us.

That is how it works.

Do we get to say 'Sorry for not sending them our hard earned money' ?

Nope.

How bout the IRS get out of the politic business, and do their 'jobs'.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

This is quite poor.

First of all, legislation, new law, new practices, should NEVER come into use on the quiet. All changes to all law should be public knowledge, from the moment they are tabled in the chambers of power, to the moment they begin to be used, right the way through their use. The effectiveness of all law and all procedure should be subject to constant, public scrutiny. It is always to the detriment of the people, their freedom and their ability to have their say.

It is bad enough, that ANY law or regulation can be initiated without being observed, but for those shadowy bits of paperwork to be of a nature which have an affect on the rights and freedoms afforded to advocates for, or organisations which act on behalf of, one or another political party in a nation is an insult to the voters. What is more, it is an erosion of every democratic principle, which ought, in fairness, to be the driving force behind governance in the United States, given that the nation has a Democrat President.

I foam at the mouth when I hear crap like this happening in my own country, and I am foaming at the mouth right now over this. This has got to be one of the most staggering abuses of power, that I have ever come across. Far be it from me, to ever make a comment which supports even the SLIGHTEST utterance or grievance of a conservative political block, in any nation, but to skew the focus of a government department so much, that it destroys all pretence of impartiality is beyond my ability to comprehend.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

No, no, there's no corruption or power abuse here. The President said so.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Insight into the criminal IRS, as seen by Brother Nathanael.
Simply follow the money, and you'll uncover all the government corruption in Washington D.C.

edit on 6-2-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

xuenchen
More damning testimony in front of Congress !!

Cleta Mitchell told Congress today the IRS is still targeting conservative groups. Mitchell also said the "ongoing" DOJ investigation is a complete sham.

"I want to make three primary points here. First, the IRS scandal is real. It's not pretend, it's real. Number two, the IRS scandal is not just a bunch of bone-headed bureaucrats in some remote office contrary to what the President of the United States told the American People on Sunday. And, number 3, the IRS scandal is not over. It is continuing to this day. And, the Department of Justice Investigation is a sham. It is a nonexistent investigation."

Obama is surely sizzling right about now.

Standby for a round of audits Ms Mitchell, here comes the thugs.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Screw this! (Sorry mods)

Fire 'em!!! The whole lot of them!

Who do they think they are? How can CONgress sit back and act like this isn't evidence for jail time, loss of employment or even being outright traitors to the country? You can't target specific groups of people for tax purposes! You know what they call that in any other place of employment? Discrimination! You know what it leads to? Termination! There's no apology necessary. This isn't even an issue. The settlement should be easy. Fire the entire group and dismantle the IRS. What are we waiting for? Another "hearing"? For what? To determine what should happen? I'll tell you what should happen....buckets of tar and piles of feathers.

These people, including those involved with the scheme to begin with, need to be set as an example. CONgress shouldn't have passed the buck to let that organization run the tax revenue to begin with but this still needs resolved.

I don't feel as though my words are strong enough but I am screaming them! No caps lock though...

EPIC FAIL!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Remember when obama said he first hears the news the same time WE hear the news?!? Yeah, well, he was lying then and he is lying now, and tomorrow he will be lying. The guy is a goddamn liar and completely OWNS Nixon in the corruption category. Just because everyone in Washington is also too corrupt to expose obama and his administration, doesnt make the words above any less true.

This HAS TO END!

top topics

join