It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious boom and tremors felt in Ocean City Maryland.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

"The data is very inconsistent with any kind of earthquake activity," Maryland Geological Survey Director Richard Ortt said. That was because the timing of the tremor's detection by various sensors did not match the time it would be expected to take for a seismic event to ripple through the Earth's crust, he said.

Baltimore Sun

But everything that immediately comes to mind has been ruled out.

Police were checking with the U.S. Coast Guard and other authorities to identify the source of the tremors and unusual sounds. A spokesperson for Dover Air Force Base in Delaware said it had no demolition or flights in the area.

In recent years there have been WWII munitions washing up or flares falling off naval ships that have to be detonated.

I am not a weapons person, but can old munitions still detonate? Maybe some more have come along.

WWII Munitions found on Assateague Island

Assateague Island is right next to OC. It used to be one island till they were shored apart in the 1920s. One became a national park to harbor the wild ponies and OC became a tourist destination.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

There's a base reported there, underground. Detonations and termors have been linked to that (loosely). Its always a possibility.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynx1102

I read another comment about there being underground bases. But I don't see how that is even possible.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There have been numerous "Frost Quakes" lately.

news.msn.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hi,
Im a member ATF and just wanted to apply to your post because where you described you felt the booms and tremors.
I live near Va beach sort of betwen the area that the Chesapeake Bay goes into the Atlantic ocean.
A few times including just last night Ive heard and felt loud booms . I drove to an open location across the river from Norfolk Navy Shipyard to see if there was some connection . The booms didnt appear to be man-made or really felt atmospheric.I also live near Langly and not too far from Oceana sometimes wondering if I was hearing fighter jests sonic booms, but these sounds were heared usually late into the evening and this area is like 4 small cities grouped together, that being the case I rule out sonic for ordinance rules.
Ive checked with local news papers and the Va. pilot has other stories of people hearing these booms as well.
A month ago I read reports of many people In Colonial Heights near Richmond Va talking about these strange earth booms as well.
I felt first hand that earthquake awhile back 6.5, I think that shook part of the eastern seaboard. The epicenter was close to Culpepper Va , not far from Colonial Heights and close enough to where I live.
I think were in for some earthquake action again from that fault line here in near future, all these booms seem like a precursor to something quite imminent.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yep, I'm going with frost quakes. I had started a thread on this today because I've just never heard of them before, and I think it explains a lot of the "sonic boom" sounds, especially in the Midwest, but apparently can occur anywhere just from the extremely cold temps. See:

ATS "Frost Quakes"

While they may shake things up and make you think it's an earthquake, it's really happening too close to the earth's surface to even be caught on seismographs.
edit on 6-2-2014 by hebegbes because: spellin'

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I recently came up with the idea that these booms or possibly the sky quake phenomenon was top secret aircraft being tested that skipped off the atmosphere. Just food for thought. They are heard in a lot of areas and they first emerged as sky quakes if I am not mistaken. Any mach 10 or so aircraft skipping off the biosphere should cause some kind of noise. I don't have a PHD so I cannot speculate on the sound. Just wanted to get that idea out there no matter how wacky it is. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
]reply to post by hebegbes

I just don't understand why, if these things are so normal, it is that most of us have never heard of these occurrences before?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You will never believe it..

After I wrote this thread I left work.

When I got outside, there were 2 quick, consecutive booms outside. It was frightening and made every stop, duck, and look around.

Of course I can't find any information on it!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hebegbes

Frost quakes is a good theory ,I personally have no Idea what they really are so My Idea is just an Idea.

I heard an enormous boom like a shot gun going off maby 4 months before the moderate earthquake (5.8) we had over here in Va.
Just realized I said 6.5 accidentally in my earlier post.
the original boom I heard was may 2011 and that earthquake happened in aug 2011 . Such a coincidence to only be 4 months apart, both in mild spring weather with no frost .
some serious booms have been heard 2012-2014, I think big mama's coming here on the eastern seabord.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

nixie_nox

When I got outside, there were 2 quick, consecutive booms outside. It was frightening and made every stop, duck, and look around.

In SE PA last Sunday, the same thing happened to the gf and I. We have shooting ranges and neighbors who fire off various rounds. This was nothing like that. It wasn't even like the dynamite they used a couple of months ago to blast through rock to make a new foundation for a house. I have also been through earthquakes up to about a four and this was...odd. two loud booms that make you take cover but...strange. the ground didn't shake. No gunpowder smell.
edit on 6-2-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

the owlbear

nixie_nox

In SE PA last Sunday, the same thing happened to the gf and I. We have shooting ranges and neighbors who fire off various rounds. This was nothing like that. It wasn't even like the dynamite they used a couple of months ago to blast through rock to make a new foundation for a house. I have also been through earthquakes up to about a four and this was...odd. two loud booms that make you take cover but...strange. the ground didn't shake. No gunpowder smell.
edit on 6-2-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

Exactly. Like 2 of the biggest cannons you have ever heard.

Am I the only friggin person in the whole city who wants to know what this is??

That is really strange. You are not that far from me.
edit on 6-2-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Well, not sure, but according to Wikipedia, "The requirements for a cryoseism to occur are numerous; therefore, accurate predictions are not entirely possible and may constitute a factor in structural design and engineering when constructing in an area historically known for such events.[3] Speculation has been made between global warming and the frequency of cryoseisms."

Wikipedia

I know, I know... another result of global warming. But, really, it makes sense because if the earth is getting hotter, more of these events would occur.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm sorry if anyone has posted this already. Maybe....Just MAYBE........the movie "War of the Worlds" has a little more credence than we know. The booms and minor shaking has to do with alien ships getting ready to come out of the ground.

Far fetched, I know. There is another thread on here the there is going to be a major announcement about something along those lines sometime this month, according to Courtney Brown........I personally don't see anything happening, BUT....

I will leave it at that.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

rjsfun

news.msn.com...

So if these booms are frost quakes, how do you explain them happening all summer long?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Rezlooper

rjsfun

news.msn.com...

So if these booms are frost quakes, how do you explain them happening all summer long?

Bingo! You get the cigar. These booms were reported all last summer and fall with a variety of head-scratching "explanations" by a gaggle of "officials" of this, that or the other agency.
We have been hearing these booms too. Our sheriff told me that he has no clue nor do any of the other state or local authorities who have been called in. He's been getting calls since December and the calls are from all over the county. They began before the bad weather and were described as explosions rather than gun fire. In our area they occur mostly at night, at least that's when the sheriff's office gets most of the calls---from people who have been awakened from a sound sleep.
I've never bothered to call anyone because I couldn't give any usable information about direction, etc. because I'm indoors and have only a general idea of the direction of the origin of the booms. The subject came up conversation recently when he said his staff was spending a lot of time chasing "booms" and "unusual smells" and felt like they were chasing their tails due to lack of any evidence.
The sheriff's office, pipeline officials and state EPA agents just spent 3 full days looking for the source of an unusual odor described as smelling like propane gas in a large area of the county. I live on the other side of the county and we had an odor of decaying flesh in our neighborhood for 5 days when the breezes came from the southwest. When I first encountered the smell I assumed that some critter had died in the woods at the edge of the yard. But freezing weather shuts down decomposition and the smell was throughout the neighborhood for days. Even in summer something as big as a deer doesn't smell over that wide of an area and for that long....
I have no idea what is causing the booms or the smells but it is rather disconcerting. Really. I'm sitting here shelling pecans and listening to my favorite late night talk show telling me that aliens are on the horizon when Boom! the house shakes and the sleeping cats leap to attention. I hate buzz killers no matter what their source!

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

I think most of these booms are coming from methane and hydrogen sulfide gas igniting in the air.

Here are some posts from ATS member Johnny Mnemonic on it. He is the one who runs the Jumping Jack Flash Hypothesis website

And yeah, all those booms, I'm sure, are gas plumes detonating. I mean, explosions are combustion, and combustion is a chemical reaction, which means...chemicals. Explosions don't 'just happen', they require something TO explode. And sometimes the booms will come with a 'chemical smell', though I doubt everyone would describe it the same way as everyone else, because we're not used to smelling this crap (else we'd be dead), and some gas plumes will be more methane than hydrogen sulfide and some the reverse, and hydrogen sulfide can paralyze the olfactory sense, so you lose ability to smell it. The closer the explosion is to the ground, the fewer people will see a flash of light too, for the obvious reason, but the greater the potential damage will be if they explode inside a town or neighborhood.

Then from me;

Did you notice in my posts about the chemical smell in LA where a poster reported that hydrogen sulfide had risen high and was detected in area. Also, there are more than a handful of people on ATS who have said they couldn't believe the amazing red sunset in the area. Could that be related?

Check out picture here from that sunset last night in Louisiana. So bright it almost hurts your eyes.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

From Johnny;

Sure, the weird sunsets could easily be related. Like you said about the weather too. The atmosphere's composition is changing, so anything related to the atmosphere is likely to be affected, at least sometimes: weather anomalies, weird sunsets, fierce blazing white Sun, rings around Sun and Moon.

Chalmette is not in a good area! Look on a map; they're just a coupla miles away from waters of the Gulf of Mexico there. I'm not surprised at all that there are 'strange smells' and people are getting sick there. Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, those are probably the states most vulnerable to whatever's coming in off the Gulf of Mexico. California, Oregon, Washington, most vulnerable to whatever's coming in off the Pacific Ocean. And the entire eastern seaboard is vulnerable to whatever's coming in off the Atlantic. Then you have the Great Lakes, so Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, etc. And the Mississippi River Valley is where a lot will flow to when wind isn't blowing it on, so there goes Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc.
Also, the burning eyes and difficulty breathing: those are symptoms of hydrogen sulfide, for sure. Remember the birds that came down in Beebe? Some of their eyes had EXPLODED. Hydrogen sulfide can make blood vessels burst and cause bruising. Eyes are full of blood vessels.

Yep, that caught my eye with the Clintonville booms too. I never believed their explanation on those. But that's when I started doing some atmosphere research and came to the conclusion that the atmosphere rhythmically pulses in height, thus squeezing the atmosphere - and whatever is in it - through a smaller 'channel' in those wee hours. So I always try to look at the timing of these events now. I think night-time is the worst time, for everything. Most of the people dying die during the night, many of the explosions and fires happen during the night, often in the wee hours. Also, once sunlight hits stuff, it heats up, and heat rises, which probably helps push any gases floating around upward, away from us. That effect probably even lasts for a while after sunset, but once things cool down, in the wee hours...

new topics

top topics

join