It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man who killed an officer in no-knock warrant will not be charged with murder

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What happened was police officers served a "no-knock" warrant at this guys house. The man opened fire and killed one of the officers. He said he thought he was being burglarized since he didn't know it was the police.

www.policeone.com...

A local grand jury declined Wednesday to indict Henry Goedrich Magee for the Dec. 19 death of Burleson County Sgt. Adam Sowders, who was part of a group of investigators executing a search warrant for Magee's rural home.

Sowders and other officers entered the home about 90 miles northwest of Houston without knocking just before 6 a.m. Authorities were looking for guns and marijuana.

Magee's attorney, Dick DeGuerin, said his client thought he was being burglarized, reached for a gun and opened fire.

The grand jury did indict Magee for possession of marijuana while in possession of a deadly weapon, a third-degree felony.

Im a bit surprised that he didn't get indicted for murder in this case. When I first heard this story back in December, I was pretty sure they would lay the hammer down on this guy.

I agree with the grand jury on not charging this guy with murder. Im against these "no-knock" warrants when it's for something minor like marijuana. If the warrant is for something really major, then im okay with it, for example - serving a warrant for armed robbery.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Im a bit surprised that he didn't get indicted for murder in this case. When I first heard this story back in December, I was pretty sure they would lay the hammer down on this guy.

Glad he wasn't charged for murder. I feel this type of thing comes clearly under self defense. Especially with the out of control cop departments and militarized SWAT home invasions. Somebody crashes my door a 6AM I hope I'm as fast as this guy was.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I'm shocked about this, the reason they used for a no-knock search was the guy was dangerous, in the end it was true as he killed an officer.

I dont know its just weird to me.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is a victory for our rights. Our homes should not be broken into by these thugs.

I am sick of victim-less crimes like possession of weed being treated like the crime of the century.

Maybe this will be a catalyst for changes in the way LEOs conduct themselves.

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

I'm shocked about this, the reason they used for a no-knock search was the guy was dangerous, in the end it was true as he killed an officer.

Shocked that someone dangerous shot an intruder..?

In the end, it would appear your perception is skewed.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Metallicus

I am sick of victim-less crimes like possession of weed being treated like the crime of the century.

I second this. There's other stories out there where officers get killed in no-knocks and they're just going after tiny tiny amounts, and sometimes there's not even any found.

All the resources spent and life lost because of something so minor just boggles my mind. Going after stuff so minor in a manner that's currently being done is causing more harm than good.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

It's going to be unfortunate tho. He will be harassed by the local law enforcement until he moves out of town.
Although, I am sort of on the fence on this one as well. When police go in for a no knock warrant usually they go in screaming, POLICE, POLICE! They just don't kindly open the door and tip-toe around.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

well everyone got a point of view and an opinion and i'm entitled to mine, i'm sorry if its not of your please.

edit on 6-2-2014 by Indigent because: an

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

facelift
reply to post by Indigent

Shocked that someone dangerous shot an intruder..?

In the end, it would appear your perception is skewed.

Thats a slippery slope my friend, who is deciding what dangerous is? That guy is registered on a conspiracy website, he's a loose canon...I like my cops knocking with a warrant.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoosierdaddy71

Thats a slippery slope my friend, who is deciding what dangerous is

That was my main point...

Sarcasm is the drink of the day, every day...

I like my cops knocking with a warrant

You didn't quite catch this: intruder

If so, you would have understood that I viewed the cop as an intruder, and nothing else.

Well done.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Score one for the good guys.

Even though this was a grand jury, please familiarize yourself with jury nullification.

Educate your friends, family, neighbors, church group, gun club, bowling league whatever.

DO IT!

edit on 6-2-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Very glad to hear this news. This man could not have possibly known whether he was under attack or whether it was the police. The police need to state they are police or it is their own fault if they are killed. This is common sense. Great news!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Good call by the grand jury. I agree with that element of the ruling.

What i disagree with is the other two charges that stuck. That sheriff, while executing the thug overlords demand for the outlawing of a plant, lost his life. BLame the law that he executed. It is wrong headed, and he paid for it dearly.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Indigent

I dont know its just weird to me.

He WAS dangerous. As he damn well should have been while defending his home.

Come in my home without knocking, and I am pretty dangerous, too.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

strongfp

It's going to be unfortunate tho. He will be harassed by the local law enforcement until he moves out of town.
Although, I am sort of on the fence on this one as well. When police go in for a no knock warrant usually they go in screaming, POLICE, POLICE! They just don't kindly open the door and tip-toe around.

I think no knock is another way of saying no announcement. You know the part where they knock and let you it is the police and give you a chance to open the door and go willingly. Not just barge in, and who is to say that a robber won't break in yelling police police? That is the point of the knock, to establish with out a doubt that is the police before they barge in, and then they still need to constantly pronounce them self's since they are in fact breaking an entry into some one's house.
Unless you are ok with them not doing all of that, then I don't know what to tell you

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Indigent

What's shocking about someone defending their home? It doesn't matter if it was an officer that died, or someone coming to steal the TV that died. It was still an intruder that died either way.

There's nothing "dangerous" about defending one's home. If someone tries coming through my door, I'll also shoot first and ask questions later.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

So lets say a man hold hostage a kid inside his home, police have to knock on the door to rescue the hostage?

its ok you people dont like my point of view, you could also ignore it if its such an stupidity
edit on 6-2-2014 by Indigent because: missed on

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Hello that's why warrants must be served so to ensure this kind of mistaken identity killing doesn't happen. Remember if the person they are serving on is really a criminal, how does that person know if it will be the cops or competitor criminals if they just waltz unexpected into the house. The warrant is needed to ensure all the wrong people don't get shot. He wasn't indicted because the Judges know this and they don't want to set any dangerous precedents that will have a negative impact on the need for police to use warrants.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by _BoneZ_

So lets say a man hold hostage a kid inside his home, police have to knock on the door to rescue the hostage?

its ok you people dont like my point of view, you could also ignore it if its such an stupidity
edit on 6-2-2014 by Indigent because: missed on

What do children and hostages have to do with this?

Where were children or hostages mentioned?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
most men awoken in the middle of the night by what sounds like a break in when they are sleeping next to their pregnant gf tend to react violently when awoken in the middle of the night/early morning

sucks the drug charge will keep him from owning guns but at least it sets the precedent if you dont annoncue your self loudly enough fair game toss this in with the new Indiana law where you can legally use self defense against public servents(read cops) who are either exceeding their authority or violating rights

www.freerepublic.com... i thought it was a new law but it may be an old one
edit on 6-2-2014 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join