It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

O' Canada.Why did we elect Harper? Tories' bill strips Elections Canada of power to promote voter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Title says it all.

The Conservative government is stripping Elections Canada of its authority to encourage Canadians to vote in federal ballots under changes to the agency’s mandate.

Legislation tabled this week sets out restrictions on what information the chief electoral officer can provide the public, limiting it to five matter-of-fact topics related to how to vote or become a candidate.

www.theglobeandmail.com.../fol lows/

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by strongfp

I'm kind of on the fence about this...

Do I really see a point to Elections Canada's Electoral Engagement Plan? Not really. It hasn't exactly been a success with recent turnouts continuing to slide.

Do I think this is a pretty heavy handy way to deal with an $9 million/yr program? Yes, and some of the directions this new legislation opens up are a little scary.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
harper has to go...... period. Oh btw, they're all the same. They lie to get elected then bully their way into their (corporations, banks,etc) agendas. I'm done voting for that corrupted bunch, never again.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

I know what you mean.
But, a little food for thought.
Don't you think they are slowly dismantling what WAS making Canada a stable, and worth while country to live in?
Also, I have a straight from the horses mouth source from immigrants, my girlfriends family chose Canada because it had good policies, stable government, and it had programs, facilities, and all sorts of help for citizens, and it's nature. Now look at us. We are just as bad as any of the corrupt countries out there.
When you have nations like the states, Germany, and GB trying their hardest to GET people to come out and vote we take away funding FROM trying to get people to vote. It boggles my mind.

This is why I vote for the Green party now, at least getting them seats means one less of these liberals and conservatives.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

This is typical of a move towards a dictatorship. Reduce the available information on everything a bit at a time. This however is a pretty big chunk. Obviously the more people vote, the harder it is to fudge the numbers, hence try to reduce the number of people voting. Harper's a scumbag and all of the politicians are simply self serving assclowns. We should try the whole lot of them for treason, 'nuff said.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Harper and his handlers know what they are doing and how to hang on to power using the conservative base .They know if the other side is divided ,which it is he can hang onto power .The fact that there are more and more disenfranchised voters only strengthens his base . He does not want the people who could vote to vote .

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I haven't voted since the 90's. I don't see the point in voting when every politician out there is a lying, two-faced scumbag. Over the past couple of years I've had people come to my door taking census information for municipal elections. They always ask who I may be voting for and I always tell them I don't vote. The look on their faces is priceless. Kind of a mix of shock and confusion, lol. When they ask why I tell them it's because I neither believe nor trust any politician. And since harper and his goons have taken over, well, this has just reinforced that outlook.
edit on 6-2-2014 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I always thought you Canadians were squared away, damn was I wrong, I feel for you, I really do. Its TRE gauche not to have your big whig politician with an Arabic, muslin sounding name, cause ya know Arabs are hot right now , with you know...Liberals. Liberals suffer from some psychological disfunction which champions the illogical, the non sensical ....Arabs? Like why? Arabs? Really? Nothing against em, you know but I was thinkin like.... Norwegian s you know, lot s of blue eyed blond s and never been near a camel.
edit on 6-2-2014 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2014 by HUMBLEONE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Why do we need the tori's, the liberals, the conservatives, the NDP and all the other freakin parties we have here in canada? I believe we should follow in Jesse Venturas footsteps up here.

Get rid of the parties, we dont need them, what we need is a government made up of independents. That way, we are not voting for the party but actually for the person running for election.

We should be electing people not party leaders, that we dont even get to choose.

Our election system is just as bad as the states. If your a Canadian and you dont live in Ontario your vote pretty much means nothing at the federal level, its kind of like our electoral vote. 99% of the people from my province (BC) that I personally know and random strangers that I have talked to on the street or at work all Hate Harper. He does absolutly nothing for our province, we get screwed on every thing, but he doesnt care at all.

Any one should be allowed to run for prime minister as long as they can speak both french and english. You should not have to belong to a political party or have millions of dollars backing you up. It should be a government for the people by the people, not for the rich by the rich.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I guess you don't remember the complete chaos of the campaign of Michael Ignatieff? The official opposition Liberal Party ran such a horrible campaign and lost so many seats that they almost lost their official party status.

Harper was actually the more sound choice of the three parties at that time. Ignatieff was a complete disaster, and was definitely not ready to lead Canada. The NDP might have been a good alternative to Harper, but really didn't have a strong election platform to run on. They did make themselves very attractive to many voters, and Jack Leyton (RIP) was certainly a gentleman politician that could have done wonders for Canada.

At the time of the election, Harper was the lesser of three evils.

Now, after seeing what Justin Trudeau is up to, at this point Harper, as bad as he is, is STILL the lesser of two evils, and the NDP is barely getting a mention right now as they still don't seem to have any of the answers for Canada, or at least, are doing a very poor job of selling their message under new leadership.

That's why Harper got elected, and probably will again in 2015.

I'm not a Harper supporter, but IMHO Justin Trudeau is really not ready for primetime politics yet.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

Canadian politics is confusing to a lot of people.

But I assure you, Ontario is not the sway vote here. For example, I live in one of the probably richest cities in Canada (if not North America) that isn't affiliated with oil. And we are liberal, but I'm not of course.

The west WAS the majority of the vote for Harper, not Ontario.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

snypwsd

Why do we need the tori's, the liberals, the conservatives, the NDP and all the other freakin parties we have here in canada? I believe we should follow in Jesse Venturas footsteps up here.

Get rid of the parties, we dont need them, what we need is a government made up of independents. That way, we are not voting for the party but actually for the person running for election.

We should be electing people not party leaders, that we dont even get to choose.

Our election system is just as bad as the states. If your a Canadian and you dont live in Ontario your vote pretty much means nothing at the federal level, its kind of like our electoral vote. 99% of the people from my province (BC) that I personally know and random strangers that I have talked to on the street or at work all Hate Harper. He does absolutly nothing for our province, we get screwed on every thing, but he doesnt care at all.

Any one should be allowed to run for prime minister as long as they can speak both french and english. You should not have to belong to a political party or have millions of dollars backing you up. It should be a government for the people by the people, not for the rich by the rich.

Yes, many here in BC do hate Harper, but many in BC generally hate whomever is in power in Ottawa, because BC and Alberta generally get ignored in the big scheme of things when it comes to national politics in Canada.

There has been an idea floating around for some time that BC, Alberta, Alaska, Washington State, Oregon, and Idaho split off from Canada / USA and go it alone as their own nation. We'd have tremendous natural resources and huge tourism potential if we did.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

babybunnies

snypwsd

There has been an idea floating around for some time that BC, Alberta, Alaska, Washington State, Oregon, and Idaho split off from Canada / USA and go it alone as their own nation. We'd have tremendous natural resources and huge tourism potential if we did.

I'd live there.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
i DO LIVE THERE...ID GLADLY FIGHT TO FORM SUCH A UNION.....

new topics

top topics

join