It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

extending unemployment benefits nulled again, anyone else suffering!!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It's truly insulting to countless millions of people who are losing everything to listen to self righteous brainiacs who think that 'IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB, WELL THEN GO GET ONE'' is an original idea. Don't worry. If the corporations have their way, you'll soon be joining them soon in the food lines.

This is where most of the unemployed get confused. There are a ton of jobs available out there. Granted most do not pay very well, but they usually pay at least as much as unemployment. The other jobs that do pay a living wage require training to get and most are not glamorous white collar jobs like most Americans want.

Where are the jobs? Ask Mike Rowe from Discovery Channel's show Dirty Jobs. Mike Rowes Job Site

So is there a perception that the long term unemployed are wanting to be long term unemployed? You bet. I know some of these long term unemployed folks and they will surf a Government check that pays as well as working a low end job, before they will take that low end job. At least until it runs out and then they somehow either end up on welfare or getting a job.

My solution would be to extend unemployment only to those that were willing to be trained for Blue Collar job. Were It up to me my Government should be willing to pay for retraining unemployed workers and then helping to provide the jobs. Perhaps even opening manufacturing facilities specializing in goods we currently import.

It would be a great way to rebuild middle class America.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

schuyler
reply to post by Sremmos80

You GOT the money you put into it a long time ago. Your ORIGINAL unemployment of 39 weeks was paid for by a state payroll tax on earnings OR directly by your previous employer on a dollar-for-dollar reimbursement. Once you passed that 39 weeks ALL the extensions, the first 13 weeks and ALL the subsequent extensions that took you to a whopping 90+ weeks of unemployment checks were paid for by the Federal government with money it DOES NOT HAVE. It's all borrowed. Every single dime you take adds to the deficit.

the government has supported you for just shy of two full years. Just how long do they need to keep doing this? What have you been doing for two years? This is enough time to retrain yourself for nearly any trade, which the government will ALSO pay for. If you've been waiting around with your mouth open for a job to drop into your lap, dream on. You just squandered an opportunity. Two years? My God! You could have taught yourself to be completely self-sustaining!

I'm completely in favor of unemployment insurance to give people a lifeline if they are laid off through no fault of their own, but not FOREVER. If you're going to say you want the money YOU put into it, and want to pretend that payroll tax was money you would otherwise have gotten in wages if your employer did not have to pay it, OK. Fine. I understand that. But after 39 weeks you more than used that amount up, so that's then end of your "entitlement." The rest is gravy. You'll use it to your advantage of you're smart, or squander it and want more if you're not.

I was laid off from my job as a supply boat captain in May of last year. My unemployment ended in Dec. That's 9 months, not 90+ weeks. I spent every day contacting boat companies across the country, including Alaska and Hawaii, hell, I even applied to Captains jobs working crew boats in Africa. After about a month I began applying for jobs at local restauraunts, dept. stores, gas stations... Jobs paying sometimes a 10th of what I made offshore. I was "overqualified". In 9 months I had 6 interviews total, 5 of which told me this, the 6th never giving me a reason. The small amount I recieved every 2 weeks helped me pay child support (still paying the rate that I was when I had my Captains job), and food, while my wifes checks took care of the rest. The money didn't help much, but it did take some of the sting off of everything. Now that its gone, I've sold my truck, my ps3, mtn. bike, surfboard, just about everything that I can to help pay bills.
I'm not about taking handouts, but we would have been in trouble without unemployment. It needs to continue until this mess they created is fixed.

I did get a job today. Part time at a gas station, working nights. Of course, after I got the call, my wife calls me to pick her up, the hospital she works at as a nurse just laid her off...
edit on 6-2-2014 by captb13 because: Spelling

edit on 6-2-2014 by captb13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

That is a three day "Pay or Quit" unless it was delivered by a US Marshall. If it was placed by your landlord it is a notice of intent to evict. You have 30 days after that before you get an eviction notice. It can take up to another month to be served by a US Marshall.

I once had a landlord go into foreclosure and refuse to fix anything at my house. I stopped paying rent immediately and lived there for a year and a half before the Marshall showed up.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

" extending unemployment benefits nulled again, anyone else suffering!!!! "

I'm still wondering what "Reid" amendment is in play ?

What was responsible for the 'nulled' ?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It ain't Obama, he was pressing for an extension......

link   
I have talked a little about this in another thread, but our big problem is everyone is trying to make it on their own and most of the world doesn't work that way to survive. When you have 20 people all trying to make rent, 20 different food bills, 20 different car payment etc on $1000 per month each they can not make it. Now when you have 20 people that live together in one house, one food bill, much fewer cars etc on 20k per month, life is not so difficult. This is how much of the world operates, and to go solo with either a single family or by yourself you need much more to live on.

It is a luxury that many can not afford but think that is the only way to live....

link   

Mamatus
reply to post by Komodo

That is a three day "Pay or Quit" unless it was delivered by a US Marshall. If it was placed by your landlord it is a notice of intent to evict. You have 30 days after that before you get an eviction notice. It can take up to another month to be served by a US Marshall.

I once had a landlord go into foreclosure and refuse to fix anything at my house. I stopped paying rent immediately and lived there for a year and a half before the Marshall showed up.

interesting...thank you! Yes.. it was by our landlord. I can't blame him either, I would have done the same thing I guess..

yea.. we have to go to court on the 18th of this month .. so there's still time to get paid.. at this point, I'm smelling neglect on insurers part.
edit on 6-2-2014 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Mamatus

Obama presses for anything he can spend fed tax on while having no real way to pay for it.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Mamatus

Who said it was "Obama" ?

What did "Reid" do ?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Star for that! It is so true. People complain about all the immigrants that come here and being able to open a restaurant, gas Station or convenience store. Those same people never see just how many family members live in the same house, have low paying jobs and manage to save a ton of money.

Us Americans feel we deserve an entire house for a tiny family.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You did not but your signature (and many posts) makes me jump to the conclusion that you blame Obama for a lot of stuff that is not entirely his fault. I am not an Obama fan but the mess is not entirely his fault, not even close.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Unemployment insurance is not a lot of money. In fact, without serious budgeting, its barely possible to maintain a household. Usually people have to drain their savings and, sometimes, sell their valuables to keep things going. Living off of an 80% reduced income is not easy. Now I don't know about people on welfare or those losers you hold up as a stereotype of the unemployed, but I'm talking about people who were, up until a year ago, contributing members of society.

These people worked right beside us. I know about 50 of them myself and I can't imagine calling them worthless, lazy bums. Because I know, I was the lucky one that didn't get picked. Some of these guys have given countless job opportunities to others. It sickens me to see them justifying their worth to a bunch of lucky snobs who just haven't been fired yet.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Senate declined it today. All repblican lol

Research online, tired of spoon feeding you information
edit on 6-2-2014 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Jordan River

Senate declined it today. All repblican lol

Research online, tired of spoon feeding you information

Well OK if I missed the point.

But Harry Reid voted "NO" on both votes today concerning S.1845

And Jack Reed voted "YES" on both.

Which vote was the problem to your point?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

schuyler
reply to post by Sremmos80

You GOT the money you put into it a long time ago. Your ORIGINAL unemployment of 39 weeks was paid for by a state payroll tax on earnings OR directly by your previous employer on a dollar-for-dollar reimbursement. Once you passed that 39 weeks ALL the extensions, the first 13 weeks and ALL the subsequent extensions that took you to a whopping 90+ weeks of unemployment checks were paid for by the Federal government with money it DOES NOT HAVE. It's all borrowed. Every single dime you take adds to the deficit.

the government has supported you for just shy of two full years. Just how long do they need to keep doing this? What have you been doing for two years? This is enough time to retrain yourself for nearly any trade, which the government will ALSO pay for. If you've been waiting around with your mouth open for a job to drop into your lap, dream on. You just squandered an opportunity. Two years? My God! You could have taught yourself to be completely self-sustaining!

I'm completely in favor of unemployment insurance to give people a lifeline if they are laid off through no fault of their own, but not FOREVER. If you're going to say you want the money YOU put into it, and want to pretend that payroll tax was money you would otherwise have gotten in wages if your employer did not have to pay it, OK. Fine. I understand that. But after 39 weeks you more than used that amount up, so that's then end of your "entitlement." The rest is gravy. You'll use it to your advantage of you're smart, or squander it and want more if you're not.

Ok lets get one thing straight' governments only have our money not theirs, they mis handle it on a grand scale doing what no one that voted wants, look at GM, bailed out by the tax payer the remaining shares held by you the taxpayer sold off at a $10 billion loss, now they are investing $1.3 billion in China, Your Government handed this company a fortune of your money and made a loss and now they are making cars in China and importing them back, Your Government should be hanging from lamposts every stinking one of them.

Then I look at another American product the Xbox, they are made in Japan and no one is interested yet the mug American punter believes that this is an American machine, the have shpent over $1.4 purchasing it since release.
www.p4rgaming.com...

And still we have people on here wanting fellow americans to take menial jobs and work for low wages, If low wage jobs are all thats on offer then employment ends of course the Government has to keep the checks coming till you find a job, because their polices have stripped the USA of decent paying jobs and handed money for companies to open factories in cheap labour countries removing the chance of a skilled job from Americans, If its sold in America it should be made in America and the conpanies that make the products pay tax in america. You are the single biggest consumer market in the world, yet you would deny fellow Americans the chance of decent paying employment, you want people to take jobs that pay little more than Benefits, Thats slave labour my friend . If the richest nation on earth cant pay its people a living wage then God help us all.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Good paying jobs are out there. You just may have to move or not have much of a life to get them though. I was offered a job today (and I'm not even looking for a job) that paid $1500.00 weekly before taxes with a $35.00 daily perdiem. Of course the guy did know me and thought I would be a great addition to his workforce. I was torn, but had to decline. I know my back would not be able to take the abuse the job entailed.

In case anyone is wondering, the job was delivering fracking fluid to various sites and required a 80 hour work week, 7 days a week and they pay for the hotel room when you are off. They also allowed you to call off if things came up in your life, but you would have to wait until your truck returned to its main site.

Two years ago I would have jumped at the chance. But I know that there are people out there who are not willing to do such a job.

The jobs are out there. But you have to make some sacrifices as well.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

So you sarcastically talk back to me in my own post for three pages just to make me look stupid for a mistake you could of mentioned at pg 1. You must be a certain kind of special. Hope your rocks are off

Im not perfect and care less about snf

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The OP wasn't clear.

I didn't know what you were referring to.

I will keep my mouth shut.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Ultimately, how to pay for the program proved too big a hurdle for senators to overcome.

“We’ve given them everything they wanted. Paid for,” said Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, flashing his irritation at Republicans who blocked the bill.

He said Democrats would keep pushing to extend the benefits, which expired at the end of last year, cutting off more than 1.3 million Americans. That number has since grown to more than 1.7 million.
mobile.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I've been answering you for three pages. And idk what you're looking for.

Im real short because I'm on a smartphone

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join