It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious noises, loud booms and "frost quakes"...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

The advent of better documentation and video cameras has changed that. For instance, just before the earthquake that struck L'Aquila, Italy, in 2009, bystanders reported flames flickering up from the pavement. Video and eyewitness reports also described several weird light anomalies during the magnitude-8.0 earthquake in Pisco, Peru, in 2007. In one case in the early '70s, luminous drifting globes thought to be possible UFOs when they were observed in Canada's Yukon Territory later were linked to earthquake lights.

Yahoo News

I know these lights were caused by earthquakes; however, per the article:

That's because electrical current can flow from a stress buildup that could either be released in a catastrophic rupture, or gradually over several days, with no quakes.

So, we don't have to have earthquakes for these light anomalies to be released, apparently.... just some sort of opening or rupture of the surface. As can be seen from the Wisconsin article, the frost quakes certainly cause fissures.

Interesting that the lights were so luminous and drifting that they were thought to be UFOs.....

Am I stretching here, or can the earthquake lights also be frost quake lights?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The only mention I've found thus far is on wiki.

Some reports have indicated the presence of "distant flashing lights" before or during a cryoseism, possibly due to electrical changes when rocks are compressed.[4] Cracks and fissures may also appear as surface areas contract and split apart from the cold.[2][8] These sometime superficial to moderate occurrences may range from a few centimetres to several kilometres long, with either singular or multiple linear fracturing and vertical or lateral displacement possible.[3]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think we can rule out the lights as causing the halo, as the halo was proven to be around the general area that day. We know that the weather caused that.

And if you haven't already, give this link a read through.www.king5.com...

ETA - Pardon me, I meant this Link . But you can read the other one also if you would like.
edit on 6-2-2014 by Doodle19815 because: to add the ETA

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Thanks for the links, Doddle. I agree with you. I don't think that the lights caused by the frost quakes could have caused the sun halo that she saw. It is interesting, tho, isn't it, that in the '70's, people confused the frost quake lights with UFOs. That seems pretty hard to imagine ... luminous globes caused by these quakes floating so high above the earth's surface that they look like objects flying the skies. You'd think the energy would disperse well before reaching high enough for people to confuse them with flying objects.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hebegbes

I kind of picture it to be like ball lightning or St. Elmo's Fire

A ball or flash of static electricity shooting through....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join