It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious noises, loud booms and "frost quakes"...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Sorry for any mistakes, but this is my first post, so please have mercy on me. I certainly have never heard of these before, but I'm posting this article regarding cryoseism, which is when the temperature drops suddenly, causing moisture in the ground to freeze and expand. They can cause an earthquake-like rumble sometimes with loud, booming noises. I know this is not a reason for all of them, but perhaps could be for the most recent ones, especially in the Midwest. I know Antar posted the other day in the Gray Area regarding a loud boom she heard close to Springfield, Missouri.... of course this doesn't take into account the other mysterious events she apparently witnessed, but the noises in particular, I would think, could be caused by these. People have noted the sounds were likened to a sonic boom sound. The article also notes that light flashes reported by some people are believed to come from electrical changes that occur when the freezing compresses rocks. I would have put this in Antar's post, but that was closed because apparently some people were too snarky. Interesting, nonetheless.

The light flashes reported by some people are believed to come from electrical changes that occur when the freezing compresses rocks.

news.msn.com... es?gt1=51501

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hebegbes

Dont think the link works.
Interesting, but I don't know if it would be loud enough to cause a sonic boom.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I think you found something pretty cool....

I would wager that people are hesitant to post here due to the last blow up.

Congrats on your first thread, and I think you did a good thing by doing the research!

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

news.msn.com...

Try that.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thanks, Doodle! That's it. I realize there are inconsistencies between a guy saying it sounded like huge snowballs hitting his roof to others saying they sound like sonic booms, but apparently they cause some very loud noises...decibel level unknown. However, with all the booms lately, especially with the extremely cold temps in the Midwest, I think it could be the answer. From the article:

Some people compared the noise to a sonic boom that rattles windows, said Michael Hall, executive director of the 911 center that covers the Hannibal area. Others described it as sounding like "somebody banging on their house."

Here's another source from the L.A. Times (I hope):

L.A. Times

Another one from the Titusville Hereald:

Titusville Herald

I also thought the "flashes of light" an interesting side-effect as well. I don't know if they would cause a "halo" around the sun, but weird what atmospheric conditions can do. Still searching on more info on the light anomolies.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I do hope this isn't intended to corroborate the 5 fighter jets taking a craft down over Missouri (or its "dissipation" if your nitpicky).

If your just interested in this particular story then negate the above statement.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Str8tForward

I think at this point you just made it about that.

Let's just focus on the cool science behind this phenomenon for now.

OP - Still researching a bit, but I'll be back soon to see what you have.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Not corroborating anything. But I don't think some should have been as hard on her as they were. Perhaps she saw what she did at the same time as one of these frost quakes, which could also maybe explain the "halo" around the sun that she claims to have seen. I know the articles I've read say they cause "flashes of light" and not sun halos, but, as I recall others mentioning in her thread, atmospheric conditions cause strange things, which we all know to be true. I ain't touching the "garbage can lid" in the sky or fighter jets.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Being in sunny Wisconsin, I have experienced this twice this winter. Sonic boom under your feet is a good description. Windows rattle, dogs bark, even my cat was concerned. Last time was about 2 weeks ago during the really bad cold spell. Felt like a truck hit the house.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by teslarocks

Have you been outside when they hit? Just wondering if you noticed any light anomalies or anything up with the sun.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Betcha this is what Antar saw. I'm starting to think maybe she was just in a "Perfect Storm." Had a frost quake experience, there was a halo around the sun from the weather, and ..... well, I said I ain't touching the rest.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

hebegbes
reply to post by teslarocks

Have you been outside when they hit? Just wondering if you noticed any light anomalies or anything up with the sun.

No, inside both times. Never saw the light anomalies. Both times it occurred it was in the evening.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Doodle19815

I think at this point you just made it about that.

Let's just focus on the cool science behind this phenomenon for now.

OP - Still researching a bit, but I'll be back soon to see what you have.

It had already been referenced.

Edit: by you. Or were you referring to a different thread conflict
edit on 6-2-2014 by Str8tForward because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2014 by Str8tForward because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I am glad that you posted this. I was thinking when I saw this that it may be a possible explanation for what Antar experienced that day. It would seem that the bad attitudes may have found this thread already however, so don't be surprised if this turns into another muck-slinger. Would be a shame though.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

I know... I'm afraid of that as well. I'll just beat a hasty retreat rather than get involved in negative posts. I just think this is too interesting.... and coincidental for the other poor poster who got her thread shut down because others can't find their civility.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Bwahahaha -- At this point, I am just walking away from you. No need to derail this thread.

That would be a pretty awesome experience IMO. On the 2012 quake thread, ice quakes were referenced heavily in regards to the Westcoast by member Westcoast. If you search for "ice quakes" on ATS you hit some pretty interesting results. The quakes were so strong, that they were picked up on several seismographs at any given time. You might find some useful information in those threads.

Keep up the good researching. Please don't ever walk away from a thread. It may be tempting, but the best thing to do is just alert a mod and let them handle it.

edit on 6-2-2014 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

redhorse

I am glad that you posted this. I was thinking when I saw this that it may be a possible explanation for what Antar experienced that day. It would seem that the bad attitudes may have found this thread already however, so don't be surprised if this turns into another muck-slinger. Would be a shame though.

There is no bad attitude here. I also have little further input on this subject as others (not I) did beat the dead horse in the other thread. I only iterated this doesn't confirm fighter jets pursuing a craft. The OP agreed and noted it was only a possible explanation for the booms and sun rings antar witnessed. I'm in full agreement. As long as this isn't an attempt at saying "see there were booms in Missouri so antar did see jets shoot down....." then I'm right on board.

Also i didn't read this specific report as I had read one earlier about it ( and new this thread would be created) but the report I read indicated it happened the day before antars experience.

No hostility from me. I enjoyed the read on her post.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Doodle19815

Bwahahaha -- At this point, I am just walking away from you. No need to derail this thread

Why is that response even necessary. You quoted me, in essence walked up and started a dialogue, and now your just walking away?

What a crappy attitude. You were the one who brought it up. You referenced her thread.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

As long as this isn't an attempt at saying "see there were booms in Missouri so antar did see jets shoot down....." then I'm right on board.

Well, hop on board. I can use the help. I'm having a hard time finding anything else regarding the light anomalies.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Absolutely will!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join